Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by bernyx
are there any other AA purchases other than flying or in flight to trigger the $150 credit? The only other possibility I saw was luggage tags on AA.com
With a Visa card, buying a AA Gift card works; $50 is the minimum though.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
With a Visa card, buying a AA Gift card works; $50 is the minimum though.
That still needs to be used towards air travel. I'm sure I'll be needing an AA flight in the next year, but wouldn't mind getting it out of the way
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
That still needs to be used towards air travel. I'm sure I'll be needing an AA flight in the next year, but wouldn't mind getting it out of the way
The AA GC doesn't expire. I am sure u (or family) might use it at some point. Also you can get an electronic GC so lesser chance of losing it. Good luck!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by saacman5033
NOTE: READ THE BELOW LINKED POST #2 FOR A VERY GOOD SET OF GUIDELINES ON CITI AA CARD APPLICATIONS.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14386923-post2.html

Just received the following offer in my email:

As a cardmember, you'll benefit from:
* One time $100 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership
* Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership — enough for two domestic round-trip flight awards
* Receive One Companion Certificate after you become a cardmember. Use your Citi® / AAdvantage® card to purchase a domestic roundtrip coach fare on American Airlines and two fly for the price of one — no minimum fare restrictions apply Fare classes are H, V, M, L, K, W, G, S, N, Q, or O per this post
* Two AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases and one mile per $1 spent on other purchases for the first 12 months of cardmembership. After the first 12 months, continue to earn one mile per $1 spent on purchases
* $0 annual fee for the first 12 months, then $85 ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) per year thereafter

Offer expires December 31st and has typical "first time Citi Cardholders" exclusion.

Links:

AMEX
VISA
VISA Business

Terms & Conditions

Has anyone used the links for 50k with 3k spend and gotten confirmation on the 50k in the last few days.

Or should I not worry and follow the rule that if the link is active it works
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
There is a little rumor of a new Citi Aadvantage card per FTG (see Card Update): http://frugaltravelguy.com/2012/03/u...ion-bonus.html
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by jeanie
Yes, the entire $150 credit posted for that $4.49 charge in flight on the personal Amex.

This was the offer for the old 50k miles after $3000 in spending, $150 credit after first AA purchase, and 2 admirals club passes. This offer said the entire $150 would post after the first AA purchase. There are other offers out there that say a $1 credit will post for each $1 spent on AA.
good. i got in on that the day it expired and agent confirmed the bonuses and credit for me
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by whynotnow
Has anyone used the links for 50k with 3k spend and gotten confirmation on the 50k in the last few days.

mine worked the day OP removed the 50k/$150/$4000 spend link. it took me to a generic page, tho. i THINK i used a link on MMS's blog to get directly to the form
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: A few
Thanks to all the contributors for the info. I got approved for a biz card (having got the 225k last year via the 75k offers) and mrs ma finally came in from the cold two years after getting her last card to get 2 x 50k cards here.

I will say I used the links buried somewhere herein that gave 40k after $2k then a full 12 months to make the $5k required for the extra 10k points. Spend requirements are getting quite high and this was all part of a wider app-o-rama with some pretty high spends (Ink Bold at $5k in 3 months for example) so I was happier to go with a worse statement credit option to get the flexibility on spend. I don't think this link is added to the OP and if I found it useful on the basis of spend I doubt I am the only one in the country. So I would like to kindly suggest that the various working links are all added to the OP if possible to make it easier for people to find and choose the particular offer that makes sense for them.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:26 pm

Is anyone having issues getting the AAdmiral lounge passes? I applied for the card back in November, got my bonus and $150 credit, but still haven't received the 2 passes. They keep telling me the system is having issues (as they deal with a 3rd party) and I'm still waiting to get those passes. Too bad I've flown AA a few times between Nov-now and could have used free lounge access.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I don't think this link is added to the OP
That link has been in the OP for some time now. As always, if there is a link that should be added, please PM me.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whynotnow
That's been the rule of thumb since the days of the 75k offers and I haven't heard reports indicating otherwise.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by saacman5033
That link has been in the OP for some time now. As always, if there is a link that should be added, please PM me.
so it is... my apologies and of course my thanks for maintaining such useful information
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:59 pm
was jgoggan

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
are there any other AA purchases other than flying or in flight to trigger the $150 credit? The only other possibility I saw was luggage tags on AA.com
Anyone happen to know the answer to this? Will buying the luggages tags at AA.com trigger the $150 credit for those of us that did the AWAY7 deal? I won't be flying AA soon and was looking for an easy way to do this and that would be nice. If not, I can always do the $50 gift card, I guess.

Also -- anyone know if you are safe to get the $150 credit if you don't have an unpaid balance? I've already met my requirements and PAID OFF those cards. Now if I pay $50 for a gift card and get a $150 credit -- will the $100 remaining credit just stay on there until I buy something later. I've been doing a spend for some other cards, so I haven't been putting anything on these ones and just need to do the AA purchase for now to get my $150 credit...

Thanks!

EDIT: Now that I look, when you go to buy the luggage tags, it redirects you over to points.com -- so I'm guess that the credit card would NOT reflect an AA charge on the bill -- and therefore the credit would not happen. I think I'll just go with a gift card to be safe.

- John...

Last edited by JohnMI; Mar 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by jgoggan
Anyone happen to know the answer to this? Will buying the luggages tags at AA.com trigger the $150 credit for those of us that did the AWAY7 deal? I won't be flying AA soon and was looking for an easy way to do this and that would be nice. If not, I can always do the $50 gift card, I guess.

Also -- anyone know if you are safe to get the $150 credit if you don't have an unpaid balance? I've already met my requirements and PAID OFF those cards. Now if I pay $50 for a gift card and get a $150 credit -- will the $100 remaining credit just stay on there until I buy something later. I've been doing a spend for some other cards, so I haven't been putting anything on these ones and just need to do the AA purchase for now to get my $150 credit...

Thanks!

EDIT: Now that I look, when you go to buy the luggage tags, it redirects you over to points.com -- so I'm guess that the credit card would NOT reflect an AA charge on the bill -- and therefore the credit would not happen. I think I'll just go with a gift card to be safe.

- John...

I have had a credit post and give me a negative balance before. Specifically, it was a Macy's Amex. I had to make a charge that was not at Macy's, then 6 weeks later a $20 credit posted. I ended up charging $5 to get the $20 credit. I don't use the Macy's card very often. After the $20 credit posted, I actually called the number on the back of the card and they offered to send me a $20 check. I got the check about a week later.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jgoggan
Also -- anyone know if you are safe to get the $150 credit if you don't have an unpaid balance?
My away7 card had only $7 balance on it from AA in-flight purchase and when statement hit, the balance became ($143). HTH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.