Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Update on my application. I called the AA Business number and was approved for my Business Application without needing to send in any documentation.

Happy - I hope this means good news for you next time you try.
Thanks for posting the good news. The business card approval process seems to always changing. The first one (75K) I got, the application did not get pass Step 3, but the card showed up in mail in a week's time. The second one (also 75K) almost a year later reached Step 5 without app id nor phone and it was dead despite 2 reps tried to override it. They simply said the system wouldn't let them do anything and they did not need any extra info from me. Another FTer's in same boat at the time got a request for the dreaded IRS Tax Return Info release form. That was in Q4 2011. Now 6 months later it seems the approval criteria has been loosen a bit. Good news for everyone indeed.

EDIT:

Just read Post 703. The poster was denied his biz card app with the reason being he has the max number of cards with Citi. He was denied even he offered to close a personal card.

Last time I was denied the 2 reps could not even give a reason, but both said no matter how they tried (the 1st rep tried a lot harder as he put me on hold several times) the system wouldn't let them. I always have 4 to 5 Citi personal cards all the time with 3 old TYP cards that I have to keep because the balances of TYPs associated with them. Besides those cards are over several years old.

I believe you would get approved if you take the time to write to the Executive Office. It seems the number of Citi cards one can have, varies a lot among individuals.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 5, 2012 at 9:28 am
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: A few
express3 - perk up. go to the old 75k offer thread and dig out the address for the executive office. write them a letter and they will then call you and i am sure will resolve

i have around 7 personal and 3 biz cards, so what you are being told is mumbo jumbo. but the call center staff at citi are terrible
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
yayy!!

positive update:

I couraged up and called again. The rep was confused as to the reasoning given to the denial...I quickly said, maybe its a system error @:-) and he thought so too. Put me on hold a few times...about 10 min...He did come back and tell me I've had that card in the past, but currently I don't. I have no idea why he said I closed it in May 2011, when in fact it was in Oct 2011 But nonetheless, he approved it with a 20k credit line!!!! woohooo!!!! Although he did sound hesitant and asked me if I needed that high of a credit.....Now hoping I get the bonus!!!!!!! I'll verify once cards arrives
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by express3
So, i applied for the business card (fly8) on 4/3. It needed further review and I got application ID#. Last night received a denial email----
You already have the maximum number of accounts that
can be issued to an individual.
I have 4 personal citi cards, one of which is an AA MC.

[...]

As far as business cards through citi, none. (I already cancelled the AA business about 5 months ago)
4 personal citi cards, managed through how many Citi sites?

I wonder if that has anything to do with it, since I have 5 Citi cards, and cards 4 and 5 were approved simulatenously in November. But they're in 3 separate families:

1 AT&T Universal Card which I have to manage at its own website

1 Citi HHonors Visa which I have to manage at its own webite

3 Citi AA cards which are all managed at the main Citi website:
1 MC that I've had since 2009
1 Visa that I got in Nov 2011
1 Amex that I got in Nov 2011
So obviously, an individual can have at least 5 card accounts around Citi. But perhaps it may matter where exactly around Citi they all are? Or else the count of 4 max was your specific count, not what "an indvidual" (which would mean "any individual") can have. (Or else they're counting some card you don't think you have, perhaps because of a lag in processing a closure?)

EDITED TO ADD:

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
i have around 7 personal and 3 biz cards, so what you are being told is mumbo jumbo. but the call center staff at citi are terrible
Oops, didn't see this post until now. So my 5 is nowhere even near a record!

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm Reason: realized 5 is less than 7!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:48 pm
Suspended

i got approved for citi biz with 50k 2 days ago, already have the citi aadvtange amex and personal cards with 75k bonus last year.
citi's was easy but i had tough time with chase ink bold biz card though i got approved with 8 mins phone call.

are some of you saying CITI is mailing you or asking you for IRS tax form or something? i am waiting to get my card in mail.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

positive update:

I couraged up and called again. The rep was confused as to the reasoning given to the denial...I quickly said, maybe its a system error @:-) and he thought so too. Put me on hold a few times...about 10 min...He did come back and tell me I've had that card in the past, but currently I don't. I have no idea why he said I closed it in May 2011, when in fact it was in Oct 2011 But nonetheless, he approved it with a 20k credit line!!!! woohooo!!!! Although he did sound hesitant and asked me if I needed that high of a credit.....Now hoping I get the bonus!!!!!!! I'll verify once cards arrives
Good for you! Had you not called back, you would not find out the previous rep was totally wrong. Now congrats on the new card! ^

In your case this definitely sounds like a system glitch - it looks like your canceled biz card was being viewed as still open, per the system - the initial reason of denial you were given was the same one gave to my husband last year. Later we found out his previous biz card was not completely canceled - the rep canceled the "employee card", i.e. the physical one, but hadn't canceled the "corporate" card number - you dont get a physical card of that number but it is listed online. It took us 2 more phone calls to get that "Corporate" card being properly closed and a written letter to confirm the closure.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:48 am

Would the purchase of an admiral's club membership (day, 30-day, or yearly) be considered a purchase of AA products and therefore eligible for the statement credit? Did not see any info about that in this thread.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:53 pm

I applied today since it had been 2 years since I got the card. I had some spending coming up to help me get to $6k so I did not want to wait for a better deal. Also, they have been sending me a lot of snail mail offers lately (only 30K offers) so I knew they wanted me back.

I did the 2 browser trick and went for the personal Visa and AMEX. I had never had the AMEX before but have had the Visa several times.

I got nervous when the AMEX was instantly approved but the Visa went in to pending status. Then a chat box appeared and they had some questions. The wanted to know where I worked and what my position was. I was nervous that they were going to ask about the AMEX app that had just been approved a minute earlier, but they did not.

She said it would take her a couple of minutes to review the app, but to hold on. She came back and I was approved. I was happy but a little nervous.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:13 am
Suspended

if my citi advantage card has the $150 statement credit feature, what do i do to get it other then flying?

thank you
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
For questions on how to apply for two cards at once (two browser trick) and when to reapply see the long, closed, Citi AA thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...t-2-first.html
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
For questions on how to apply for two cards at once (two browser trick) and when to reapply see the long, closed, Citi AA thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...t-2-first.html
if i need the citi thankyou card with 50k bonus offer and also want the citi aadvantage card .

can i do the following and get approved?

apply for citi thank you and citi AA visa 2 browser trick

then apply for the citi aa biz?

that has better chance for 100k AA miles then doing 2 citi personal AA cards 2 browser trick AND citi thank you card?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmy1
that has better chance for 100k AA miles then doing 2 citi personal AA cards 2 browser trick AND citi thank you card?
No, it has the same chance for 100k AA miles. Meanwhile, it has a much poorer chance of getting 150k AA miles!

The thing is, if you do the two-browser trick with 2 Citi AA cards and get approved, you can then apply for the Citi Thank You in several months. They are on separate cycles. Thus you can get 150k by doing it in that order.

But if you apply for a Citi AA card and a Citi Thank You card (since they are two different cards, no need for a two-browser trick or even for applying on the same exact day, those tricks are only needed for two of the same type of card), and you are approved, you cannot apply for a second Citi AA card for probably 20 months. Thus you can only get 100k by doing it in that order.

So to paraphrase a current TV ad for another (and much wimpier IMHO) card: "And who doesn't want 50% more AA miles?"

(I was speaking here only of personal cards. If you add a Citi AA Biz to the mix, that's also on a separate clock, and so you can still do afterwards, and thus can do 200k total for 4 cards instead of 150k total for 3 cards by doing them in the right oder.)

PS. I'm assuming here that you're interested in the Thank You because of the news that it's apparently going to be able to transfer to AA, and persumably it has its own 50k or so bonus? I factored those assumptions into the math. Subtrack 50k from each scenario if that's not how you're going to use the Thank You points. But the extra 50k by doing the apps "in the right order" applies in any case.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 8, 2012 at 9:29 am Reason: added PS
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:30 am

How long does it typically take to receive the Citi Amex and Visa cards? I am leaving for a trip Sunday and am hoping to get them in time to make small purchases in flight to trigger the bonus. Is there a chat line to expedite the cards? Also wondering if I use the admiral passes-do kids need a separate pass or can one kid come in with each of us with 2 passes? Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findingdeals
How long does it typically take to receive the Citi Amex and Visa cards? I am leaving for a trip Sunday and am hoping to get them in time to make small purchases in flight to trigger the bonus. Is there a chat line to expedite the cards? Also wondering if I use the admiral passes-do kids need a separate pass or can one kid come in with each of us with 2 passes? Thanks!
No. The chat box only appears when you are very approvable (is there such a word?) but somehow do not get the instant approval.

The card has to be actually issued, i.e. "manufactured" with the account number et al, before they can send it out whether normally or by expedition method. 1 week normally is the fastest turnaround time.

Our latest data point was, cards applied the evening of 3/08, approved over the phone on 3/09 morning on one card, the other one was already approved when we called. Cards arrived on 03/15.

You really should do it last week if you intend to use it for the flight coming up on Sunday.

The passes do not come until several weeks/months later based on people's experiences posted here.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 9, 2012 at 11:04 am
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
I signed up initially for the $2k/40k then 10k because I was afraid I might not be able to make the 3k spends on both cards in less than 3 months. But I just had a big expense that came up and I’m regretting not doing the $3k for 50k deal. Could I secure message a CSR online and ask them to match me for the $3k for 50k deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.