Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jza
Actually the agent could tell you if you are enrolled for one of the offers. AFAIK that's the only way you'll know.
I thought the agent was just approval/denial. I figure I can call back when I get the card and ask a regular CSR.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 am

I think this is pretty common knowledge in this thread now, but my wife received the $150 statement credit for buying a bag of nuts on a flight. This was for the personal visa card (away7 deal) and was credited on the statement period end day. Thanks again to everyone for all the good info in this thread.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 pm
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
This has to have been the easiest spend to meet of all time.. purely by luck of course.

My husband's card came & he activated it yesterday.

Just now he called me to ask me if there's a card that he can put a new trailer on.. told me it costs $2800.

^

I said "yes.. by the way, I'm seriously considering the notion that we should all go to Hawaii soon."

Now, my own card has about $175 left to my spend and we're well on our way.. will post back once the statements cut in a few weeks here, to verify (Hopefully!) that the bonuses post accordingly and the passes are received.

Thanks for another great thread, FT!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nolimit186
Where'd you get $6k from? It's $2k for each, so $4k in 4 months. Then you have to hit $3k, one on each card, within 8 months.
What are you talking about?

If you applied 2 cards at the same time, the 4 months on each card run simultaneously. You dont have 4 and then another 4 months. You have the SAME 4 months on each card.

The spend requirement all depends on which card you choose to apply - it range from 1K to 3K with 2K and 2.5K in between - of course the bonus also are corresponding to the spend requirements, i.e. less spend less bonus.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: SW, UA, IHG Plat, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
What are you talking about?

If you applied 2 cards at the same time, the 4 months on each card run simultaneously. You dont have 4 and then another 4 months. You have the SAME 4 months on each card.

The spend requirement all depends on which card you choose to apply - it range from 1K to 3K with 2K and 2.5K in between - of course the bonus also are corresponding to the spend requirements, i.e. less spend less bonus.
I think we're saying the same thing. Two cards, each $2k within 4 months and then $5k on each within 12 months of cardmembership. So in this case, simultaneously, you have to meet $4k ($2k on each) within 4 months and then $6k ($3k on each) on both within 8 months.

So like I said earlier, "It's $2k for each, so $4k in 4 months. Then you have to hit $3k, one on each card, within 8 months."

Hope I made sense...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we're saying the same thing. Two cards, each $2k within 4 months and then $5k on each within 12 months of cardmembership. So in this case, simultaneously, you have to meet $4k ($2k on each) within 4 months and then $6k ($3k on each) on both within 8 months.

So like I said earlier, "It's $2k for each, so $4k in 4 months. Then you have to hit $3k, one on each card, within 8 months."

Hope I made sense...
For some offer (I'm not even sure which one!), perhaps.

But many of the current/recent offers (certianly the popular AWAY7 one) didn't come with a two-step thing. Many simply comes with one initial spend requirement, which in the AWAY7 case was $3k in the first 4 months, and no other spend requirements ever after. So for AWAY7, it was $6k in the first 4 months if you applied for (and got) two at once, simple as that.

And all the other offers I remember looking at (in recent months) were the simple too, just a slightly different amount that you needed to spend in the first (perhaps slightly different number of months).

So if it's a current offer you're talking about, which code (short URL*) is it? Or are you talking about something from the 100k = 50k + 50k era (which feels quite a few offer cycles ago by now!)?

*By short ULR, I mean AWAY7 was simply away7.citicards.com. Most of the offers are AWAYx or TRAVELx or MILESX or FLYx, etc, in front of "citicards.com" (with "x" a single digit). It's easy to identify an offer in that form (it's very hard in a long URL that it resolves to, which unfortunately is the way many people post them, because they weait until the URL resolves to the longer form before doing the copy/paste).

(AWAY7 expired Jan 31, 2012. It offered 50k for $3k spend in 4 months, $150 credit for first AA purchase, 2 lounge passes, and double miles on AA purchases the first 12 months. There was a basically-identical offer posted here without a short code that differed only in a Feb 28, 2012 expiration.)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope I made sense...

Hit $3K for what? I dont see any current offer has an additional bonus for an additional $3K spend.

Or you are thinking about one can get a pair of $1K spend, then later get another pair of $3K spend? If this is what you think, then you do not understand how things work.

Between each pair of personal AAdvantage cards, majority of folks have to wait 18 to 20 months before they would not be denied with the "first time cardholder only".

Even the business cards these days have to be spaced out far longer now if you want to have a high probability approval.

So honestly I dont know what you are talking about.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Between each pair of personal AAdvantage cards, majority of folks have to wait 18 to 20 months before they would not be denied with the "first time cardholder only".
Last personal cards were done for me mid August 2010; so beginning in April I'll be at 20 months; sound like a good time to apply for these 2 again? Or any in the "expired but working" links section in the OP?

Recently no new credit cards since about November 11 (got denied for Citi Business card and approved for Marriott Chase).

Also credit score on Credit Karma (I know... it's not a real one, but gives a decent idea at least) is 788.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:33 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Pretty sure the debate is over this link from the OP -

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...885A13BAC34C9E

Which states the following terms:

" Earn up to 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles1
Earn 40,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $2,000 within 4 months of cardmembership.1
Earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 during the first 12 months of cardmembership
That's more than enough for a domestic round-trip flight award.9"

This offer applies to the Visa Sig, the Amex, and the Biz Visa Sig card.

I presume they applied for a personal and a biz card. Current offer expires April 30, 2012.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smidget
Last personal cards were done for me mid August 2010; so beginning in April I'll be at 20 months; sound like a good time to apply for these 2 again? Or any in the "expired but working" links section in the OP?

Recently no new credit cards since about November 11 (got denied for Citi Business card and approved for Marriott Chase).

Also credit score on Credit Karma (I know... it's not a real one, but gives a decent idea at least) is 788.
With the time lapse you have, it should work. My husband's 1st attempt after 19+ months failed (June 8 2010, reapplied 12/21/2011). However when he tried again 03/08/2012 evening, it worked - that was exactly 21 months lapse. Both got phone number and invitation to call for further information on Step 3 and we were able to proceed to the Step 4 where you add services to the card.
Oh, there was an wrinkle - on the Visa app, when we submitted the page which you accessorized services on the card, IE gave us an error said submission failed due to the top part of the page did not go?! So we started all over to redo the application which of course did not get pass Step 3 - auto-denied by the system as this was the 3rd app. Later we found out it was denied based on "Multiple Application" without reference of credit report being pulled on that 3rd app.

We called for MC on 03/09 (the 40K $1K spend) and he was approved on the phone. We did not have the App ID for the Visa due to the system error (the 45K $2.5K spend because at the time the 50K $3K spend link did not work - now is working again.) Got the Visa App ID from the rep on the MC call. She gave another phone number to call. I got a feeling that was a denial on the 3rd app. Instead of calling the new number we called the same number from the MC app. Sure enough, the Visa App ID was indeed attached to the denied 3rd app. We explained the system error and the rep did a bit more search and told us the first app for Visa was already auto-approved 03/09. She also saw the approval on the MC. Then she told us we could decide which card (MC or Visa) to keep when they arrived. ;-) Received congrats emails on both cards despite we forgot to check the email notification boxes. Written letters came a few days later, followed by the physical cards. Statements on both cards close on April 4th. We already met the $1K on the MC and hopefully could report with positive outcome in due course.

The take away is, as long as you reach Step 3 with a telephone number to call for further information, you are most likely getting an approval without calling. The only additional info the rep wanted when we called was a cell phone number. So unless you want to know quickly, you do not need to call as his Visa is auto-approved without us calling despite the request to call. Also system error on the finalization can be ignored - because the userid we set up turned alive when the card was approved and issued - despite we got a system error from IE when submitting the Step 4 page.

If you feel uncomfortable with just the app page, you could do the 45K $2.5K spend $100 statement credit that the landing page still is available so you can go to the app page from there.

With Citi's history as long as the app page still opens, the offer remains valid as the offer code is imbedded in the URL.

Or you can go for the 40K + 10K on $2K + $3K spend, up to $100 statement credit offer which does not expire until end of April. Thanks to GGE for the reminder.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm Reason: Add more details
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GGE
Pretty sure the debate is over this link from the OP -

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...885A13BAC34C9E

Which states the following terms:

" Earn up to 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles1
Earn 40,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $2,000 within 4 months of cardmembership.1
Earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 during the first 12 months of cardmembership
That's more than enough for a domestic round-trip flight award.9"

This offer applies to the Visa Sig, the Amex, and the Biz Visa Sig card.

I presume they applied for a personal and a biz card. Current offer expires April 30, 2012.
Ah, this makes sense. Good find. It seems the $5000 spend is not additional, but includes the initial $2,000 spend. Though for an additional $1000 spend over the initial $2000 spend you get 50K miles, instead of having to spend another $2000 down the road - the additional $2000 could be put on yet another new card spend requirement for sign up bonus... Also the $150 statement credit is "up to" - meaning you do have to spend full $150 on eligible AA purchase in order to get the full statement credit versus the expired 50K $3K spend the $150 statement credit is triggered by ANY eligible AA purchase including the in-flight buy-onboard meals or payment of taxes on award tickets.

The 50K $3K spend app page still works, even though the landing page no longer be found.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by jeanie
Thanks for the update. I just charged one snack on board for $4.49 on the AA Business Visa, and another snack for $4.49 for an AA Amex. The Amex is actually my dad's card. But he has no plans to fly on AA anytime soon, so I offered to do the charge so that he could try for the $150 credit.

I have not seen anyone post about making the $4.49 in flight snack charge on the personal Amex. I will post back about how this works out. He understands that he might have to wait 2 or 3 statements and then call customer service to have them enter in a dispute for it to post. But he is willing to try it.

The $4.49 snack charged in flight on the personal Amex did trigger the $150 credit for my dad. The charge was made 3/14/12, and the statement just closed with the credit automatically showing on it.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by jeanie
The $4.49 snack charged in flight on the personal Amex did trigger the $150 credit for my dad. The charge was made 3/14/12, and the statement just closed with the credit automatically showing on it.
wait, the entire $150 credit for spending that $4.49?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by mrredskin
wait, the entire $150 credit for spending that $4.49?

Yes, the entire $150 credit posted for that $4.49 charge in flight on the personal Amex.

This was the offer for the old 50k miles after $3000 in spending, $150 credit after first AA purchase, and 2 admirals club passes. This offer said the entire $150 would post after the first AA purchase. There are other offers out there that say a $1 credit will post for each $1 spent on AA.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:19 pm

are there any other AA purchases other than flying or in flight to trigger the $150 credit? The only other possibility I saw was luggage tags on AA.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.