Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:14 am

Keeping miles after cancellation

Has anyone had experience cancelling these cards right before the annual fee is due and keeping the miles?

Or do you have to use the miles before you cancel?

And finally, if you need to use the miles before cancelling, do you have to fly or just book before you cancel?

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by used_wardrobe
Has anyone had experience cancelling these cards right before the annual fee is due and keeping the miles?

Citi does not claw back miles. You may close the card account without risk. Just remember to
  • work the retention angle befroe you go, and
  • keep in mind the 18-month expiration rule for AA accounts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I applied for and received a citi AA card well over 18 months ago -- I think it was more than 24 months ago. It was a 30k card, and it pretty much disqualified me from taking advantage of the 75k or 100k offers.

Last year, in September, I get the Executive AAdvantage World Elite card -- the one with the high fee and club access. I did it basically to be able to continue to have spend that counted toward lifetime status. I think I got a 25k bonus.

Did this restart the 18 month clock ticking, such that I cannot try now for the regular lower fee citi aadvantage cards (either the 45k or 50k versions), or is it considered a separate product?
Just following up on my own post for a data point. I tried today and did not get approved -- I got stuck on step 3 and I'm sure the letter will be coming soon. Since I have no other citi applications in the last 60 days and it's been over 2 years since I had the citi AA card, I can only assume I got hung up because of the Executive World Elite Card. YMMV.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:47 am

I just applied for 2 cards with different browsers and got this message:
<<We have received your application and further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within a week via email regarding our decision. If approved, be sure to visit citicards.com to register for free online services. >>

Is this "denied"? Is there a number I can call?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nowornever
<<We have received your application and further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within a week via email regarding our decision. If approved, be sure to visit citicards.com to register for free online services. >>

Is this "denied"?
Why would you think "if approved" means "denied"???

It's neither denied nor approved. It simply means that the computer program that can sometimes give "instant approval" could not decide on its own, and humans now need to make the decision, and unlike computers, humans do not work 24/7, do not work at gigahertz processing rates, and thus do not make the decision instantly. (In fact, the humans don't even look at your app anywhere near instantly. They may have a multi-day backlog of apps to look at, especially early in the week after a weekendful of apps while they had the weekend off.)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nowornever

Is this "denied"? Is there a number I can call?
Are you stopped at Step 3 or the system invited you to continue to accessorize your card "should you get approved"?

if it is the former, the probability of denial is quite high, but not absolute. If it is the latter it is the exact opposite.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
Just following up on my own post for a data point. I tried today and did not get approved -- I got stuck on step 3 and I'm sure the letter will be coming soon. Since I have no other citi applications in the last 60 days and it's been over 2 years since I had the citi AA card, I can only assume I got hung up because of the Executive World Elite Card. YMMV.
Sorry to hear about that. However until you receive the letter, you would not know what exactly is the denial reason. There may still be hope if the reason used is not the "first time only" language.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:40 pm

Citi AA: $100 off, 50k, &amp; Companion Cert [plus other offers as they appear]

Does the business 50,000 link still work? Want to apply next week
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:27 pm

I have the citi platinum visa that I got Dec 2010. Since 18 months have passed can I apply for it again and get the 50k bonus miles even though I still have it open?

What about the first time user clause? That worries me even though I thought I read somewhere that you become "new" after18 or 20 months.

Would appreciate your inputs, thanks, Felicity
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by used_wardrobe

And finally, if you need to use the miles before cancelling, do you have to fly or just book before you cancel?

Thanks!
Once the miles are transferred to AA, they are yours to keep. You do not have to use them right away. This is markedly different from Citi's own ThankYou program.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by felicity5
I have the citi platinum visa that I got Dec 2010. Since 18 months have passed can I apply for it again and get the 50k bonus miles even though I still have it open?

What about the first time user clause? That worries me even though I thought I read somewhere that you become "new" after18 or 20 months.

Would appreciate your inputs, thanks, Felicity
Do not worry. But do read Post #1.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:01 pm

What specifically are you referring to in post 1?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by felicity5
What specifically are you referring to in post 1?
This:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14386923-post2.html
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
Im sorry, but I am a little confused as well. From that link it appears as though you cannot get any of the CC offers from CitiAA unless it has been 18-24 months. (Unless you apply for them at the exact same time).

1) Why is it 18-24 months? What is the difference between the 18 and the 24 month limits?

2) If you previously got an offer for the 75k, can you get the 50k without worrying since it should be a "different" offer? Likewise, could you get the business or amex offers since they should be different as well if you had a personal/visa offer previously?

3) From my understanding, it doesn't matter at all in ANY way if you currently have a card open, is this correct?

4) To rehash my personal situation. I applied for the 75K offer for both the CitiAA Visa and the CitiAA Amex last October. I received the CitiAA Visa, and was denied for the CitiAA Amex. Am I aloud for ANY offers that are available (ish) now or do I need to wait until 18/24 months after October?

My understanding is that I would be eligible for EVERY offer that is available provided it is not EXACTLY a CitiAA Visa Personal with a 75K Bonus Offer, is that correct?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions, I know they are answered somewhere in these forums but it is quite confusing sometimes, and I have been searching for quite some time.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by ryanw777
Im sorry, but I am a little confused as well. From that link it appears as though you cannot get any of the CC offers from CitiAA unless it has been 18-24 months. (Unless you apply for them at the exact same time).

1) Why is it 18-24 months? What is the difference between the 18 and the 24 month limits?

2) If you previously got an offer for the 75k, can you get the 50k without worrying since it should be a "different" offer? Likewise, could you get the business or amex offers since they should be different as well if you had a personal/visa offer previously?

3) From my understanding, it doesn't matter at all in ANY way if you currently have a card open, is this correct?

4) To rehash my personal situation. I applied for the 75K offer for both the CitiAA Visa and the CitiAA Amex last October. I received the CitiAA Visa, and was denied for the CitiAA Amex. Am I aloud for ANY offers that are available (ish) now or do I need to wait until 18/24 months after October?

My understanding is that I would be eligible for EVERY offer that is available provided it is not EXACTLY a CitiAA Visa Personal with a 75K Bonus Offer, is that correct?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions, I know they are answered somewhere in these forums but it is quite confusing sometimes, and I have been searching for quite some time.

Thanks!

Ryan
1) I do not know but 18-24 months is the general observation from experiences. Some were able to reapply after 13 months and get approved. YMMV

2) I think it is type of card, not the type of offer. i.e. as long as they are personal AA cards, the amount/type of offer does not matter. You need to wait for 18-24 months in general.

3) Generally true for personal. I am not too sure about Biz cards. There were reports of denial with old Biz still open and reports where one had more than 3 biz open and still get approved if I remember correctly. So again YMMV

4) Likely you need to wait until 18/24 months after Oct last year. But again YMMV. I would rather not waste a credit pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.