Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Here's the link http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...110117174856:s

It doesn't list priority boarding, $100 AA, etc. so the offers in the OP may be better for those benefits.
There is difference between a sign up bonus and a card's benefit.

The statement credit and club pass are part of the sign up bonus. The 1st checked bag free, priority boarding, 2 miles per $ on AA purchase, are card benefits. They are 2 different animals.

The attraction on this offer is the low spend and is a MC.

It does not have $100 statement credit nor the Club passes. However it enjoys the SAME new benefits as other AAdvantage card because it is the same genre (the Select Platinum). We have one MC that is going on its 3 years and it got the new bennie notification.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Happy

The statement credit and club pass are part of the sign up bonus. The 1st checked bag free, priority boarding, 2 miles per $ on AA purchase, are card benefits. They are 2 different animals.

It does not have $100 statement credit nor the Club passes. However it enjoys the SAME new benefits as other AAdvantage card because it is the same genre (the Select Platinum). We have one MC that is going on its 3 years and it got the new bennie notification.
Aha! The statement credit and club passes are worth another $1,000 spend on the Visa or Amex. Getting all three cards may be the best course.

If you have an existing reservation, then sign up for the card, do you have to call AA to make sure you get priority boarding?

Do you get priority security in addition to priority boarding?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:05 pm

Why do you like MC and dislike AMEX? Aren't they merely handling the charge processing?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:55 pm

The refund of the ticket is no hassle. The refund of the checked bag fee may take some effort.
I wasn't suggesting that one try to get the fee refunded. Presumably, that would void the $100 statement credit. (If it doesn't, then there's no reason to bother with baggage fees; just buy a refundable ticket & then refund it, if a refunded transaction will do.)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
I applied and was approved for the wrong promotion. I applied for the 45,000 miles with 2K spend within 3 mos.....and would much rather prefer the 40,000 miles with 1K spend in 4 month deal as mentioned above.

I need some advice here..... as this 45,000 card did not arrive yet (thus isnt activated), is there a way to change to the 40K offer ? Please someone give me the best advice whereby I get the 40K promo instead, even if I have to apply again and not activate the first one. Thanks.

Last edited by saacman5033; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:33 am Reason: Violation of FT posting guidelines
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Aha! The statement credit and club passes are worth another $1,000 spend on the Visa or Amex. Getting all three cards may be the best course.

If you have an existing reservation, then sign up for the card, do you have to call AA to make sure you get priority boarding?

Do you get priority security in addition to priority boarding?
When we applied in March, there is no 45K $2K spend offer around. So it is $1K spend versus $3K spend in our timeframe and we wanted the card very quick so we could use it to pay for a cruise taken in April.

Also keep in mind, the statement credit on the 45K $2K spend offer is the UP TO variety - meaning it is $ credit for $ spend - you would need to spend $100 on AA purchase in order to get back the $100 statement credit, versus the first AA purchase variety that was offered before (officially expired last year.) The statement credit on the old $3K spend is the first AA purchase variety so a beer buy onboard AA flight would trigger the full credit. Big difference here.

The additional spend may worth to some when they do need to spend $100 on AA purchase but not necessarily to others who dont have impending AA purchase in mind other than getting an AA GC for free and for future usage.

The key issue is if one does not have real spend but has to resort to artificial spend to meet the additional $1000 or $2000, then there is a hassle factor involved to get the version carries $100 statement credit but also higher spend requirement.

Club passes for example, have 0 meaning to us because other than a quiet place to sit, AC is nothing special, even the Flagship (which cannot be used with the regular pass anyway) is nothing to write home about. We would get club access by class of service anyway if and when we travel internationally, as they almost always in premium cabin awards. The domestic club only comes in play when you have an unexpected delay then the club may offer some quiet place (if it is weather delay you can forget about the quietness as it would be full of all eligible people!), at least that is in our case.

As for your other questions:

1) You can NOT get all 3 if you even pay some attention on How the Citi AAdvantage card applications work you would know it is impossible to get all 3. You can only pick 2 personal cards to do it simultaneously.

2) No need to call AA. The priority boarding supposedly prints automatically per the data point posted on AA forum. Though I have not followed it closely as we have all the benefits by virtue of being AA lifetime golds.

No, you do not get Priority Security - that is reserved to A) AA EXP and AA PLT, or B) You travel in business or first class.

Originally Posted by RobertNC
Why do you like MC and dislike AMEX? Aren't they merely handling the charge processing?
AMEX is less acceptable for one thing - State Farm does not take AMEX for insurance payment for example. So even the insurance payment is a good size sum, I could not use it to meet the spend requirement on AMEX.
There are a few other merchants we use also dont take AMEX.

I also dont want to deal with the hassle of getting the statement credit properly posted with the AMEX version - it took some folks several months of arguing with Citi back and forth for the statement credit / the 2 miles per $ spend on AA purchase. It is simply not worth it to me.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
I wasn't suggesting that one try to get the fee refunded. Presumably, that would void the $100 statement credit. (If it doesn't, then there's no reason to bother with baggage fees; just buy a refundable ticket & then refund it, if a refunded transaction will do.)
Instead of paying the checked bag fee for a flight you dont take and thus totally forfeit the value, may be buying an upgrade sticker at booking would serve the same purpose, yet the sticker if not used, sits in your account forever... You may accumulate enough stickers later on to do segment upgrade if you have even the AA Gold Status. I believe purchased it online a sticker costs $30.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by diclemeg
I need some advice here..... as this 45,000 card did not arrive yet (thus isnt activated), is there a way to change to the 40K offer ? Please someone give me the best advice whereby I get the 40K promo instead, even if I have to apply again and not activate the first one. Thanks.
If you can apply on the same day, you might be able to simply apply and receive both cards and only use one.

Otherwise, there's no way to change promotion. Wait 20+ months and try again.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, I think I'll do that. But I'm still curious whether anybody else who used those same links had this experience.
Have you gotten a response from Citi on the AMEX statement credit situation? Were the phone rep wrong or the link you used was "in the wrong grouping" in the OP?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:27 pm

Instead of paying the checked bag fee for a flight you dont take and thus totally forfeit the value, may be buying an upgrade sticker at booking would serve the same purpose, yet the sticker if not used, sits in your account forever... You may accumulate enough stickers later on to do segment upgrade if you have even the AA Gold Status. I believe purchased it online a sticker costs $30.
Not a bad idea -- if one has AA status. As you imply, non-elites can't use the stickers except on full-fare (Y/B) tickets: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...and-conditions.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, US - SPG, HH, PC, CC
Quick data point. Last week I attempted to apply for the Visa and Amex AA cards using the 2 browser trick for my girlfriend. I opened both applications on one browser and intended to copy and paste the AMEX url into a different browser. What I accidentally did was copy and paste the Visa url into the 2nd browser. I filled in her information for both applications and submitted them, inadvertently submitting 2 applications for the Visa card.

However, both were approved. She received the cards today and called a CSR to activate the cards and to confirm the bonus. Surprisingly enough, the CSR's (2 separate calls) confirmed the 50,000 point bonus for each account. I've heard rumors of this working, so wanted to share my experience. I'll feel much better after she hits the spends and the points post...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:43 pm
Suspended

I applied and was approved for the wrong promotion. I applied for the 45,000 miles with 2K spend within 3 mos.....and would much rather prefer the 40,000 miles with 1K spend in 4 month deal as mentioned above.

No - this is the card you have. Not activating it would simply waste the bonus. As far as Citi is concerned, you've applied and been approved.

Last edited by saacman5033; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:31 am
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton
No - this is the card you have. Not activating it would simply waste the bonus. As far as Citi is concerned, you've applied and been approved.
Is Citi known to allow a change of promotion before card activation? Maybe I can call them and say I prefer the other promo, otherwise I wont activate the card ??????
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:17 am

Well not that anyone is necessarily following my ordeal closely, but if are keeping score at home, I applied for the Citi Business Visa some time in April. I went back and forth with Citi about the documentation needed to verify the business -- first I sent them my business license, which was not good enough, then I sent a credit reference letter from JPMorgan, which was apparently also not good enough, and finally I sent them a bank statement. This did the trick, and I got approved, and the CSR verified 50k miles with $3000 spend in 4 months.

Better late than never, I suppose!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
If you can apply on the same day, you might be able to simply apply and receive both cards and only use one.

Otherwise, there's no way to change promotion. Wait 20+ months and try again.
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Is Citi known to allow a change of promotion before card activation? Maybe I can call them and say I prefer the other promo, otherwise I wont activate the card ??????
You already got 2 posters answered your question already after your first post on this topic. While you may not like those answers, you will not get a different answer by asking the SAME question again and again... You even quoted Stoughton's answer to the very question you asked earlier...

If you have trouble meeting spend requirement, then dont just go apply something just because the bonus is good and everyone seems doing it... At least spend some time to research before you jump on it... As Stoughton said, do not activate the card makes no difference other than you waste the opportunity to earn bonus and the next time you could try would be some 18 to 24 months later as pointed out by MDtR-Chicago....

Last edited by Happy; Jun 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.