Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Very Quick Question About Churning AA Citicards

Hey guys,

I just wanted some real quick Clarification.

-I have one AA business card (opened up in September 2011) *just closed today

-I have one AA Citi Personal Credit Card Visa (opened up in October 2010)
-I have one AA Citi Personal Credit Card AMEX (opened up in October 2010 as well).

From my research, you need to wait until 18 months to be able to churn these cards. Will I get the best result if I closed the current TWO personal cards first and then apply? Or should I just apply (resulting in 4 personal credit cards if approved).

Thank you.

P.S. Do you think I can churn the business one as well?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
This is very inaccurate. I and many others have reapplied again for both after applting fir 2 already previously less than 1 yr.
So did you close out the old accounts or do you just have multiples of each card? And how recently were you successful in doing this? My wife just got rejected recently for both, and it had been around 18+ months since her last AA MasterCard. Do you think it was just lucky for you and the others, or are some other factors at work?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Hey guys,

I just wanted some real quick Clarification.

-I have one AA business card (opened up in September 2011) *just closed today

-I have one AA Citi Personal Credit Card Visa (opened up in October 2010)
-I have one AA Citi Personal Credit Card AMEX (opened up in October 2010 as well).

From my research, you need to wait until 18 months to be able to churn these cards. Will I get the best result if I closed the current TWO personal cards first and then apply? Or should I just apply (resulting in 4 personal credit cards if approved).

Thank you.

P.S. Do you think I can churn the business one as well?
First, this is the main thread in MilesBuzz! about Citi AA card offers (including how to churn those specific cards):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ey-appear.html

You need to wait 18 to 20 months from last successful personal Citi AA card app. Some people get rejected even at 18 months, but we have no record of someone being rejected (for the "first-time" clause reason) after 20+ months.

You also have to wait at least 65 days from your last Citi app (successful or not) of any kind.

Cancelling is not strictly necessary. Citi may put a limit of how many cards you can have, though, so if this is a concern, cancelling might be worth it. However, if you're going to cancel, you then need to wait a while before the credit available from your old cards is available to reuse on your new cards. If you have no other cards with Citi, and you want to apply soon, then it may work better to keep the two alive until you apply, then assuming you're approved but with a low credit limit, you can ask to have the credit limits moved from the old cards to the new cards. (Then later you can cancel the old cards once you have no use for them.)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is very inaccurate. I and many others have reapplied again for both after applting fir 2 already previously less than 1 yr.
Please point to the posts with recent (past half year) experience about this. As I already said in the message you just quoted (but you didn't bother quoting that part), a few poeple have gotten approval at 12 months.

But lately many are getting shot down even at 18 months. (And the proof for that is in the recent pages of this thread. While I don't see much proof of 12 months success in recent pages in this thread.)

Also, it depends on the specific offers. IIRC there were a few offers a while back with different "first-time" language which may have been an exception. But the current offers do not have the exception language in them.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I would guess that you got quite lucky and would bet that it won't happen again for you. I had similar good luck in 2010 but have seen my luck change with the last apps.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:53 pm
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by saacman5033
Links:

AMEX

2. travel5.citicards.com 45k for $2,500 spend in 4 months, $100 statement credit, two admirals club passes and double AA miles on AA purchases for 12 months.
In case anyone reading this thread is wondering if the above links from the opening post are still valid (since there is an expiration date of Feb. 29, 2012 noted on the splash page) - I applied for this card last Saturday and was instantly approved. I received my card today and while on the phone I asked the guy if there was a promo attached to my application that he could see. He verified the promo I had expected.

Also noteworthy - and really, this is the MOST noteworthy part -

I had applied for another Citi card (personal also, not business) about 8-10 minutes earlier and fought with myself over whether to go for a second Citi card with a points promo attached or not.

Having dutifully read the instructions linked in the first post of this thread for applying for two Citi cards at once, and knowing that you must do it back-to-back, I worried that ten minutes was not "back-to-back" enough. But I took the chance, and as you have just read above, all is well.

Hopefully this will be of some help to someone.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GGE
In case anyone reading this thread is wondering if the above links from the opening post are still valid (since there is an expiration date of Feb. 29, 2012 noted on the splash page)
Just an FYI - with Citi cards, if the link works, the app works. Last year there were AA apps that were many months out of date and still working fine
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:12 pm
GGE

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Just an FYI - with Citi cards, if the link works, the app works. Last year there were AA apps that were many months out of date and still working fine
Fantastic, thanks!

Because I apped the other Citi card from a link that required a leap of faith - no splash page - and I'm a bit nervous at the lack of formal confirmation of the promo terms. Your statement makes me feel a bit better.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You need to wait 18 to 20 months from last successful personal Citi AA card app. Some people get rejected even at 18 months, but we have no record of someone being rejected (for the "first-time" clause reason) after 20+ months.
To confirm the above, below is the timeline on spouse's history:

06/08/10 A pair instant approval.
12/21/11 A pair denied on 1st timer clause despite 18+ months have passed.
03/08/12 A pair got passed Step 3 with telephone number and IDs. Called to get approval on the phone on the MC (the 40K $1K spend) and wait for the Visa (the 45K $2.5K spend) to come thru. Both userid became alive on 03/09 evening with different last 4 digits so cards should come by end of next week.

Myself, 15+ months worked for me in 2011. Wouldn't count on that in 2012.

Gone are the good old days one could see a new pair every few months... even as late as early 2010...

You are absolutely correct in referring only to the most recent data points, i.e. the past 6 months. Everything prior to that, is IRRELEVANT in large part because things do change rapidly in today's environment how the banks handle their business practice.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 10, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GGE
Fantastic, thanks!

Because I apped the other Citi card from a link that required a leap of faith - no splash page - and I'm a bit nervous at the lack of formal confirmation of the promo terms. Your statement makes me feel a bit better.
As long as the app page works that is all that matter if you know or trust what promo the app page is for.

I have seen app page worked 2+ years passed the expiration date in the past. Hundreds of FTers have used expired app pages and got the bonuses.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GGE
In case anyone reading this thread is wondering if the above links from the opening post are still valid (since there is an expiration date of Feb. 29, 2012 noted on the splash page) - I applied for this card last Saturday and was instantly approved. I received my card today and while on the phone I asked the guy if there was a promo attached to my application that he could see. He verified the promo I had expected.

Also noteworthy - and really, this is the MOST noteworthy part -

I had applied for another Citi card (personal also, not business) about 8-10 minutes earlier and fought with myself over whether to go for a second Citi card with a points promo attached or not.

Having dutifully read the instructions linked in the first post of this thread for applying for two Citi cards at once, and knowing that you must do it back-to-back, I worried that ten minutes was not "back-to-back" enough. But I took the chance, and as you have just read above, all is well.

Hopefully this will be of some help to someone.
There may be some needs for clarification so future newbies may learn something.

Based on what you posted on the Citi HHonor card thread, I venture to guess the Citi card you applied prior to the AAdvantage card is HHonor card. I hate to be the messenger, but, HHonor card's credit inquiry comes from a different Citi entity, therefore you will see TWO pulls on your credit report - because they would not be merged by the reporting agency due to different entities pulled the report. There is no benefit to do the HHonor card and the AAdvantage card on the same day.

There is NO NEED to do a back to back with HHonor and AAdvantage - the Back to Back method largely only is mandatory for the AAdvantage cards (or the SAME type of cards, such as 2 HHonors, 2 AAdvantage, 2 Premium etc) because of the "1st timer only" clause.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
You could apply for the business Visa now if you want. You would need to completely cancel the old business account (including the internet account).
What do you mean "including the internet account"? I told them by phone to properly close my account completely. They said they did, but I can still log into my business account. It simply states:

This account has been converted to a new number or was closed at your request. To access information related to your new account, register the new number and access it with your same user ID and password. If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Service Center.

Since I can log in, was my closure not competed?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scwam
What do you mean "including the internet account"? I told them by phone to properly close my account completely. They said they did, but I can still log into my business account. It simply states:

This account has been converted to a new number or was closed at your request. To access information related to your new account, register the new number and access it with your same user ID and password. If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Service Center.

Since I can log in, was my closure not competed?
It has no internet account.

The business card has a Corporate Account and an Employee Account. The physical card is the Employee Account but you will still see the Corporate Account number online.

The red message does not guarantee you the Corporate Account is properly closed. The only way to make sure is to call Citi again and request a LETTER in writing on account closure. Until then there is no telling, although 90% of the time the phone rep would have done a proper job but I had experiences in the past that the business cards were not properly closed, one case it was not closed at all, the other case was only the Employee's was closed but the Corp's remained open. Therefore now if dealing with business card I always ask a letter to confirm the closure being sent.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:41 am
GGE

Originally Posted by Happy
There may be some needs for clarification so future newbies may learn something.

Based on what you posted on the Citi HHonor card thread, I venture to guess the Citi card you applied prior to the AAdvantage card is HHonor card. I hate to be the messenger, but, HHonor card's credit inquiry comes from a different Citi entity, therefore you will see TWO pulls on your credit report - because they would not be merged by the reporting agency due to different entities pulled the report. There is no benefit to do the HHonor card and the AAdvantage card on the same day.

There is NO NEED to do a back to back with HHonor and AAdvantage - the Back to Back method largely only is mandatory for the AAdvantage cards (or the SAME type of cards, such as 2 HHonors, 2 AAdvantage, 2 Premium etc) because of the "1st timer only" clause.
Many thanks for your informative post.

My cards were indeed Hhonors and AA.

My inquiries were indeed merged into one inquiry, however.

Citi pulls EQ for me here in NY state, always has regardless of what card I or my husband apply for (so far Citi has pulled EQ here for Sunoco cards, Hhonors cards, AA cards, and their regular old Platinum Select card).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by haslipe
So did you close out the old accounts or do you just have multiples of each card? And how recently were you successful in doing this? My wife just got rejected recently for both, and it had been around 18+ months since her last AA MasterCard. Do you think it was just lucky for you and the others, or are some other factors at work?
I dont know if it was luck. But i originally (and orhers) applied fir visa/amex at same time. Then about 8-9 months later, i closed both and applied again about a month later for 2 again. I did have to call in but was approved. This was during 2011

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.