Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Have to agree with MDtR-Chicago on this one. Whether you activate the card seems to be irrelevant. Citi opened an account under the terms 40k after $2000 spending in 4 months.

If you didn't want the card, the correct action would have been to call Citi and cancel the account so they could make the necessary changes in their computer system. If you were to pull your credit report right now, the Citi account would show as being open.

Since it has been 4 months since you have opened the account, then you probably lost out on that opportunity to earn 40k miles. You probably won't be approved for another set of personal cards for 18 - 24+ months.

People on this board historically have not had success changing promotions with Citi after an account has already been opened.

Originally Posted by diclemeg
Advice requested on the best way to proceed....

- 6/14 Applied for AA Visa 40K if spend $2000 in 4 mos...
but I never activated it, as I saw better deals soon after, but haven't applied for them yet.
- 10/23 Called them to ask if I activate today, would I still get the same offer, and they said they'd get back to me in 2 to 4 days on it.

As there are 40K deals with only $1000 spend, I'd be more inclined not to activate the card, and simply apply for the better deals. Only thing is I don't know the normal waiting period to apply for another, but realize the card has not been activated yet.

So to the experts here, if you were me, how would you proceed ?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
On post 1, there is a link to a 40k mile after $2000 in spending and another 10k after $5000 spending offer. Here is the landing page. Libralibra posted it a while back.

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...omocode=miles7
Just to clarify the wording, does this mean that you need to spend a total of $7000? Or $5000?

One could read it as spending $2000 to read 40K miles, and then another $3000 to reach $5000 total to receive another 10K miles.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
You've been holding on to that card for a long time. Is it showing on your credit reports?

My suspicion is that the most likely scenario is that the clock for completing your minimum spend started on your application date. If you had a 6 month window, you could still complete the original spend.

Citi won't change offers, so you'd need to reapply. However, I think it's likely your original application date would start the 18-ish month timer between successful Citi applications, so you wouldn't be approved.

Who knows, tho? Something of an obscure edge case.

I agree that "Who knows?" is probably where this comes out.

I believe, though, that the clock ticks once you are approved, not once you apply. I applied for the Citi Business card in April and didn't get approved till June (going back and forth trying to convince them I was legit). IIRC, I made the spend within X months of June, but not April, and got the bonus.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Just to clarify the wording, does this mean that you need to spend a total of $7000? Or $5000?

One could read it as spending $2000 to read 40K miles, and then another $3000 to reach $5000 total to receive another 10K miles.

You get 40k miles after spending $2000, then an additional 10k miles for spending an additional $3000.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vmsea
$7K?? i thought it's 40K after 2K spend, and 10k more after 5K.. means 3 additional K and u get 10K more points...
if it's 10k more after 5k MORE spend, that's crap.
Originally Posted by jeanie
You get 40k miles after spending $2000, then an additional 10k miles for spending an additional $3000.
Thanks for the clarification, jeanie!

The touted landing page doesn't make that perfectly clear IMHO. It has tons of fine print, but none of them spells out in so many words that it's 5k total, rather than 5k more.

At any rate, even if it's 10k for only $3k more, that's not very many miles for quite a bit of spend IMHO. Would you apply for a card that simply had a 10k bonus for $3k spend, or a 20k bonus for $6k spend, or a 50k bonus for $15k spend??? (Yet they're all the same bonus-to-spend ratio!)

So, thinking about the way I look at things, I wouldn't go the extra $3k effort, even if it's $3k rather than $5k, just for 10k miles. There's gotta be better uses for $3k spending! And by gosh, there are! Look:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nors-visa.html

If you have no other use for HHonors points, despite the lousy 6:1 ratio of HH:AA, you can apply for two of these, get 100k HHonors points for $3000 combined spend, and then transfer those 100k HH points to about 16k AA miles. And then you can repeat that again, at least two or three times a year! (Because, unlike the Citi AA cards, the Citi HH cards are "quickly" churnable.)

IMHO the fact that you can churn $3k spend into 16k AA miles just about as often as you want, despite a horrid transfer rate HH:AA, points out just how poor a value spending $3k to get 10k (extra) AA miles (just once) is.

(Having said that, there's much more value possible in 100k HHonors points, if used for hotel stays, than in just 16k AA miles, let alone just 10k AA miles. So I wouldn't necessarily recommend wasting HH points on AA miles at that transfer ratio.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Does AmEx negotiate annual fee on all their cards if you have more than one of their cards?

i.e., I was told if you have both the Delta AmEx and spg then the Delta annual fee can be reduced by about $40.

If you have the Delta AmEx and AA AmEx could the annual fees be reduced?

What about if you add more AmEx cards?

Thank you,
gg
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Does AmEx negotiate annual fee on all their cards if you have more than one of their cards?

i.e., I was told if you have both the Delta AmEx and spg then the Delta annual fee can be reduced by about $40.

What about if you add more AmEx cards?

Thank you,
gg
No, and the AA product is not a real Amex, it's just Citi using the Amex brand
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl

You're confusing AmEx the bank with AmEx the logo.

AmEx the bank issues the Delta AmEx card (which of course has an AmEx logo).

But it's Citi the bank that issues AA AmEx card. So in the case of AA, AmEx is only the logo, not the bank.

So since it's not the same institution issuing the Delta and AA cards, they have nothing do with each other except that they both operate at merchants who belong to the AmEx network (and both don't operate at merchants who aren't on the AmEx network).

Having said that: I've not heard of Citi lowering annual fees simply because you have multiple cards with them. The trick to lowering annual fees is instead to know about retention offers and how to use them. Here's the thread about Citi retention offers (in the Credit Cards forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

Here's a small thread I found in the Delta forum simply by searching the Delta forum on the word "retention":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ion-hopes.html

(AmEx the bank has less in the way of retention offers, perhaps because it has the mulitple cards option. Citi doesn't have the mulitple cards option AFAIK, but on the other hand is sometimes much more giving with retention bonuses on one card at a time. So how you minimize annual fees can vary from one bank to the next.)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:39 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
So I must wait for 65 days and better yet 95 days to open new AA biz ?

how many personal AA can you have open at a time?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
So I must wait for 65 days and better yet 95 days to open new AA biz ?

how many personal AA can you have open at a time?
I am not sure which you are asking:

You cannot apply for more than 2 Citi cards total in any 60-day period (65 for safety).

You cannot apply for more than 1 Citi business card in any 90-day period (95 for safety).

I do not believe that there is a known hard limit to the number of AA personal cards you can have but really, why would you want more than one of each?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Sorry, I thought you were referring to a 50k-in-one-step offer (rather than the 40k + 10k, which I already new about). That's why I thought it was something that wasn't on page 1, because I haven't heard of a 50k-in-one-step offer being available lately.
FYI, there's a fairly recent link in post #1 (from jeanie) for 50K.

In addition, here's one (Visa/Amex/biz Visa) I just found for 50K ($2500/4mos spend): http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...359A3AA7C79CBE
I'm pretty sure this is different from jeanie's, as two club passes are included.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by diclemeg
Advice requested on the best way to proceed....

- 6/14 Applied for AA Visa 40K if spend $2000 in 4 mos...
but I never activated it, as I saw better deals soon after, but haven't applied for them yet.
- 10/23 Called them to ask if I activate today, would I still get the same offer, and they said they'd get back to me in 2 to 4 days on it.

As there are 40K deals with only $1000 spend, I'd be more inclined not to activate the card, and simply apply for the better deals. Only thing is I don't know the normal waiting period to apply for another, but realize the card has not been activated yet.

So to the experts here, if you were me, how would you proceed ?
The clock for meeting spend starts ticking as soon as the computer records you as being approved. Activation is just letting them know that you have received the card. I would use creditkarma.com or some other site to look at what is on your credit reports to see if those cards have been reported for the last four months.

Worst case scenario is they tell you that the four months for meeting spend have now expired and you won't be able to get new AA personal cards for about 14 months.

Hopefully you can talk a CSR into something better than that. Good luck.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by beltway
FYI, there's a fairly recent link in post #1 (from jeanie) for 50K.

In addition, here's one (Visa/Amex/biz Visa) I just found for 50K ($2500/4mos spend): http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...359A3AA7C79CBE
I'm pretty sure this is different from jeanie's, as two club passes are included.
^^^ This is the deal I'll apply for.

Looks like $5000 spend for 100,000 AA miles!!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
^^^ This is the deal I'll apply for.

Looks like $5000 spend for 100,000 AA miles!!
Just to be clear:

$5000 spend in less than 4 months.

In other words, my understanding is that they might start counting the 4 months from your date of internal approval, but you can't start spending on your date of internal approval, you have to wait to get the card in the mail!

(By internal approval, I mean the day they approve it. Your notification that they approved it might be dated later than when they actually approved it! So for safety, even if not instantly approved, I would start counting at the application date.)

So be sure you can easily do the $5000 spend in less than 4 months if you're going to go for this offer (with two at a time).
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Thanks for the clarification, jeanie!

The touted landing page doesn't make that perfectly clear IMHO. It has tons of fine print, but none of them spells out in so many words that it's 5k total, rather than 5k more.

At any rate, even if it's 10k for only $3k more, that's not very many miles for quite a bit of spend IMHO. Would you apply for a card that simply had a 10k bonus for $3k spend, or a 20k bonus for $6k spend, or a 50k bonus for $15k spend??? (Yet they're all the same bonus-to-spend ratio!)

So, thinking about the way I look at things, I wouldn't go the extra $3k effort, even if it's $3k rather than $5k, just for 10k miles. There's gotta be better uses for $3k spending! And by gosh, there are! Look:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nors-visa.html

If you have no other use for HHonors points, despite the lousy 6:1 ratio of HH:AA, you can apply for two of these, get 100k HHonors points for $3000 combined spend, and then transfer those 100k HH points to about 16k AA miles. And then you can repeat that again, at least two or three times a year! (Because, unlike the Citi AA cards, the Citi HH cards are "quickly" churnable.)

IMHO the fact that you can churn $3k spend into 16k AA miles just about as often as you want, despite a horrid transfer rate HH:AA, points out just how poor a value spending $3k to get 10k (extra) AA miles (just once) is.

(Having said that, there's much more value possible in 100k HHonors points, if used for hotel stays, than in just 16k AA miles, let alone just 10k AA miles. So I wouldn't necessarily recommend wasting HH points on AA miles at that transfer ratio.)
you're absolutely right it makes no sense to apply for cards with marginally less miles/credit and yet i always seem to lean towards those offers using your example of an extra 10K miles for $3K spend being equivalent to a 20K miles bonus for $6K spend it doesn't make sense why i make such choices when i can get 40K with $1K spend. this is how i view things tho - i'm not looking to churn cards every 3 months and your offer would be like getting 4.33 miles/$ spend which isn't too shabby! it's similar to those us airways promos for 15K miles after spending $750 / $1250 for 3 consecutive months - not the best use of spends but most of us still can't resist using my same twisted logic i'm even tempted to get the 50K / $5K spend cards for the extra $100 credit but with the newest 50K/$2.5K spend offer posted by beltway (thank you beltway! ) i might be strong enough to resist. after all i'd need to spend an extra 2.5K for a $100 credit which would be like earning an extra 4% back. not terrible but not amazing. and an extra $5K for 2 cards might be a little too much. hmmm. decisions decisions. if only the 50K/$3K spend/100 credit offer were still available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.