FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:36 pm
jeanie

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Have to agree with MDtR-Chicago on this one. Whether you activate the card seems to be irrelevant. Citi opened an account under the terms 40k after $2000 spending in 4 months.

If you didn't want the card, the correct action would have been to call Citi and cancel the account so they could make the necessary changes in their computer system. If you were to pull your credit report right now, the Citi account would show as being open.

Since it has been 4 months since you have opened the account, then you probably lost out on that opportunity to earn 40k miles. You probably won't be approved for another set of personal cards for 18 - 24+ months.

People on this board historically have not had success changing promotions with Citi after an account has already been opened.

Originally Posted by diclemeg
Advice requested on the best way to proceed....

- 6/14 Applied for AA Visa 40K if spend $2000 in 4 mos...
but I never activated it, as I saw better deals soon after, but haven't applied for them yet.
- 10/23 Called them to ask if I activate today, would I still get the same offer, and they said they'd get back to me in 2 to 4 days on it.

As there are 40K deals with only $1000 spend, I'd be more inclined not to activate the card, and simply apply for the better deals. Only thing is I don't know the normal waiting period to apply for another, but realize the card has not been activated yet.

So to the experts here, if you were me, how would you proceed ?