Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
They always pull Experian for me but it depends on where you live. Credit Boards has a database that is updated by users.
intersting. it's been a few days but i still haven't gotten notificaiton from identity guard that my credit has been pulled.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:31 am

As a data point, I applied for both AMEX and Visa cards using 2 browsers Friday night, instant approval for both. Haven't called to confirm signup bonus though. Still no changes on my credit report, including hard credit inquiries, according to Creditkarma.com.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Starwood
I posted 2 weeks ago how I accidentally applied for 2 of the same amexes from 1st post, both were received and bonuses confirmed! Quick question, if I buy AA credit for $50 should I receive a $100 credit or would I need to spend the full $100 to get the $100 credit?

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, CC Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by longtimereader
I posted 2 weeks ago how I accidentally applied for 2 of the same amexes from 1st post, both were received and bonuses confirmed! Quick question, if I buy AA credit for $50 should I receive a $100 credit or would I need to spend the full $100 to get the $100 credit?

Thanks
You will receive $100 credit.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NewGuyinTheSky
...unless your offer is a refund of charges $ for $. In that case you won't. This is why it's important to actually read the thread, including the several times this question was thoroughly answered within the past few dozen posts. And in the link in the first post.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by longtimereader

Thanks
Originally Posted by NewGuyinTheSky
Q: What is your favorite color?
A: Yes

Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:15 pm

Cancellation

I called to close a AA Visa account today - second call, so no new offer of miles or credit. The rep noted that I had several of these cards in the past. He also said something about forfeiting the bonus miles. Also he said because too many people were opening accounts just for the initial bonus and closing them immediately, I wouldn't be able to get a bonus with a new card ("for first-time cardmembers only"). Based on what I've read here previously, none of this will probably happen, but wanted to document the data point.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:25 pm

Is the 50k signup bonus still working?
I see the initial application link (and those on The Points Guy and other blogs) are still up, but with no mention of the 50k bonus.

On the normal Citi site it shows a 40k bonus for signup.

Thinking of going with this card for a first-time AA churn, but not sure if I should signup now or wait...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by rawrbot
Is the 50k signup bonus still working?
I see the initial application link (and those on The Points Guy and other blogs) are still up, but with no mention of the 50k bonus.

On the normal Citi site it shows a 40k bonus for signup.

Thinking of going with this card for a first-time AA churn, but not sure if I should signup now or wait...
I've got nothing against newbies, but seriously, just spend 5 minutes reading. The answers to these questions have been repeated a bazillion times in this thread, including in the very first post.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Fraggable
As a data point, I applied for both AMEX and Visa cards using 2 browsers Friday night, instant approval for both. Haven't called to confirm signup bonus though. Still no changes on my credit report, including hard credit inquiries, according to Creditkarma.com.
My timeline:
Sep 6 - Applied for Visa and Amex, got instant approval for both.
Sep 8 - One credit inquiry reported on Experian
Sep 10 - Got "You've Been Approved" email for Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa® Signature card Card.
Sep 11 - Got snail mails with approvals for both Visa and Amex.

Waiting for the "You've Been Approved" email for AMEX and the physical cards.

HTH.

Last edited by T3pleShot; Sep 12, 2012 at 1:09 am
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I've got nothing against newbies, but seriously, just spend 5 minutes reading. The answers to these questions have been repeated a bazillion times in this thread, including in the very first post.
I did read the 1st post (and tried going through the 2000+ post thread) and it's a bit unclear:

Originally Posted by saacman5033

Expired, No landing page, but still working
'Expired but still working' seems a little contradictory...

I wanted to simply confirm that the offer is still working before risking a hard pull. Apologies for being a newb...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:44 pm
xp0

I did read the 1st post (and tried going through the 2000+ post thread) and it's a bit unclear:

I wanted to simply confirm that the offer is still working before risking a hard pull. Apologies for being a newb...
If it was unclear ... just continue reading. Its like reading a book. Read the first chapter and the last chapter and you are good to go.
-Read the first post and the last two-three pages of posts on each thread and you are good.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is plain English unless you have a comprehension issue.

What is the meaning of "but", and "still" ?

If you truly read as you have claimed, you would have found this question and answer gazillion times already because it seems that this "more basic than basic" question has been asked almost every other week.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:04 pm

Data point:

-Sept 5th '12: Applied in 2 separate browsers for AAdvantage Visa and AMEX using from thepointsguy.com's website and was approved instantly for both (Visa @ 14K, AMEX @ 13K); did not receive any email at that time
-Sept 7th '12: Received email confirmation for Visa (but nothing for AMEX)
-Sept 10th '12: Received 2 separate confirmation letters in mail for Visa and AMEX
-Sept 10th '12: Also received both cards in mail (never got AMEX email confirmation) (that was 4 separate envelopes I received today)
-Sept 10th '12: Activated both cards today; it was an automated system that hung up on me after activation. I then called customer service on back of card and confirmed the 50,000 bonus by spending $3K by January 5th 2013; a $100 statement credit upon first AA direct purchase; free checked bag for up to 4 people in my reservation; and priority boarding

-Other Citi cards I have: Two Citi Dividend Platinum Selects ($10K and $6K limits) and a Citi ThankYou Preferred ($10K limit). I last applied for a Citi card in November 2011 (for Citi ThankYou preferred, a targeted offer with 60,000 bonus points and double points for one year). I also have Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase Freedom, Sapphire, US Bank Cash+, BoA cards, AMEX Blue Sky, etc, etc.

Thanks for everyone's data points and tips here.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcw70
I called to close a AA Visa account today - second call, so no new offer of miles or credit. The rep noted that I had several of these cards in the past. He also said something about forfeiting the bonus miles. Also he said because too many people were opening accounts just for the initial bonus and closing them immediately, I wouldn't be able to get a bonus with a new card ("for first-time cardmembers only"). Based on what I've read here previously, none of this will probably happen, but wanted to document the data point.
This sounds a bit worrisome - kind of a prelude of some tightening up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.