Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Sigh... I have to wait almost 2 years for another card aaargh!!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:18 pm

Thank you. We have received your application and further processing is required at this time. You may check back in 24 hours to see if a decision has been determined.We will contact you within 1 week via mail/email regarding our decision.
so i got this message. does it mean i'm denied? what number should i call? do i wait until i get letter in the mail?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...first-670.html

alludes to calling but no number.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by webazoid
Uhm. It does more than allude. It says it pretty clearly:

5. If you have applied and did not get instant approval, call between the hours of 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday, 1-888-201-4523
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:03 am

Data point:

Applied for two cards last Friday using the links on Post #1, got to "further processing needed" page. Called today and got approved for both. Also verified benefits but, as always, I'll believe it when the miles post.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rogerflyer12
Data point:

-Sept 5th '12: Applied in 2 separate browsers for AAdvantage Visa and AMEX using from thepointsguy.com's website and was approved instantly for both (Visa @ 14K, AMEX @ 13K); did not receive any email at that time
-Sept 7th '12: Received email confirmation for Visa (but nothing for AMEX)
-Sept 10th '12: Received 2 separate confirmation letters in mail for Visa and AMEX
-Sept 10th '12: Also received both cards in mail (never got AMEX email confirmation) (that was 4 separate envelopes I received today)
-Sept 10th '12: Activated both cards today; it was an automated system that hung up on me after activation. I then called customer service on back of card and confirmed the 50,000 bonus by spending $3K by January 5th 2013; a $100 statement credit upon first AA direct purchase; free checked bag for up to 4 people in my reservation; and priority boarding

-Other Citi cards I have: Two Citi Dividend Platinum Selects ($10K and $6K limits) and a Citi ThankYou Preferred ($10K limit). I last applied for a Citi card in November 2011 (for Citi ThankYou preferred, a targeted offer with 60,000 bonus points and double points for one year). I also have Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase Freedom, Sapphire, US Bank Cash+, BoA cards, AMEX Blue Sky, etc, etc.

Thanks for everyone's data points and tips here.
Thanks! I feel a bit better about not yet getting approval email for AMEX. But, I'll believe it when I see it. (the cards and miles, that is).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Uhm. It does more than allude. It says it pretty clearly:
i missed that. thanks. got approved. will it automatically appear in my citibank online account as soon as it's printed? or do i have to manually add once i get it in the mail?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
will it automatically appear in my citibank online account as soon as it's printed? or do i have to manually add once i get it in the mail?
You will probably have to add it. There's a link at the top near the dropdown list of accounts.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
Possible Rejection Reasons; Citi Cards

Today I applied with an Instant Approval for the Citi Business Visa, the 1st choice in Thread #1
This is for an S-chapter Corp with an TIN and 30k Revenue. I'm a 33% owner.
Background for my previous Citi credit card applications:

Date --- Type of Card --- Days/ Previous Application --- Result
11 Sep '12 --- Citi Bus AA --- 112 Days --- Instant Approval
28 May '12 --- Citi Bus AA --- 94 Days (see Note 1 below) --- Rejection
24 Feb '12 --- Citi Bus AA --- 125 Days --- Instant Approval
23 Dec '11 --- Citi (2 Per) AA --- 20 Mo 14 Days --- 2 ea Instant Approvals
21 Oct '11 --- Citi Bus AA --- 93 Days --- Instant Approval
20 Jul '11 --- Citi Bus Aa --- 144 Days --- Instant Approval
16 May '11 --- Citi (2 Per) AA --- See Note 2 below --- 2 ea Rejections

I have 2 more Non - Citi Instant Approvals earlier this year.

Note 1: So why was I rejected for this card? On this application after I hit the "Submit button" the next page never completed. My application went through but I think this caused a manual review. When I called the next day the CSR tells me "no decision now -- you'll receive an answer by E-mail in a day or two". Sounded bad. The reason for rejection was "You already have the maximum number cards which we will issue to this business". Sounds like I failed to properly cancel the previous business card. (Ref Happy's post #8467 in the 75k Thread dated 25 Aug '11 for explaining how this might happen). However when I called Citi several times, the CSR's all claimed that my previous cards for the past year were all properly closed.
However, I did have a business card which I applied for 26 Feb '11 which was not properly closed. In Apr '12 I received a statement showing that I owed the $75 annual fee plus $7.50 in interest. I immediately ask for the card ( a forgotton authorized user) to be closed. I confirmed 2 more times that the card was fully closed and asked for a statement in writing showing it was fully closed - but I only received a generic statement saying the card was closed without listing the Authorized user accounts and it didn't say when it was closed. BTW they waived the $75 annual fee but wouldn't waive the $7.50 in Interest. Fast forward to May and Jun of this year. I wrote them a check for $7.50 and they gave me a credit for $7.50 and then sent me a check for $7.50. But this showed up on my statement ending 4 Jun '12 of the account closed in Apr. I think that during the review of my application they saw activity on the card, even if it was closed, and had an excellent excuse to reject my 28 May '12 application. I didn't fight it. It would probably just draw attention to my previous cards. BTW For my application today (11 Sep '12), I made sure it was more than 90 days after the 4 Jun '12 statement date that showed activity on a closed account.

Note 2: It had been just over 18 mo since my previous Personal Citi card -- or so I thought. However in Apr '10 someone made unauthorized charges on my personal card. I immediately caught it and brought it to Citi's attention. They closed the card and sent me a new one with a different account number. I didn't realize that this would restart the 18 Month clock between personal cards. However it did and I was rejected as " not a 1st time user".

Live and learn.

Last edited by Happyfeet; Sep 12, 2012 at 3:19 am
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
It is plain English unless you have a comprehension issue.

What is the meaning of "but", and "still" ?

If you truly read as you have claimed, you would have found this question and answer gazillion times already because it seems that this "more basic than basic" question has been asked almost every other week.
Perhaps the following wording will help:
Notwithstanding the stated expiry of the aforementioned 50K bonus mile offer (hereinafter referred to as "The Offer") individuals have reported success in obtaining The Offer on or about such points in time that are later than the stated expiry date.

The "BUT" refers to the notwithstanding phrase, and the "STILL" refers to the success after the date. Hopefully this addresses any perceived ambiguity.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdben
Perhaps the following wording will help:
Notwithstanding the stated expiry of the aforementioned 50K bonus mile offer (hereinafter referred to as "The Offer") individuals have reported success in obtaining The Offer on or about such points in time that are later than the stated expiry date.

The "BUT" refers to the notwithstanding phrase, and the "STILL" refers to the success after the date. Hopefully this addresses any perceived ambiguity.
Lawyer talk.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:06 am

I've read that it takes a week to get card. Anyone get theirs sooner? I have large purchase to make within next few days. Would citi give me temp number?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:08 am

I've read that it takes a week to get card. Anyone get theirs sooner? I have large purchase to make within next few days. Would citi give me temp number?
I don't think so but you can request that they overnight the card to you.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rawrbot
'Expired but still working' seems a little contradictory...
( Hopefully this is a non-lawyer explanation: )

"Expired" refers to what is officially the status. There was an expiration date on the offer, and it has long since past. There was a landing page that explained the offer, but it has long since been removed.

"But still working" means that, however, the application page itself is still there, it still works for people who go through and submit an application, and the terms continue to match was the old landing page stated (and which are documented for posterity in this thread).

So it's a difference between a "fully supported" "publicly promoted" application, that would have a landing site, and perhaps have a valid expieration date*, and a "still working but we don't know for how long" situation which we know works only from constantly accumulated anecdotes.

It's because FlyerTalk is an interactive community that we can report such "still works" status reliably. One person by themsevles couldn't do it as easily (they couldn't keep trying the app themselves every day) but every few days someone else comes along who tells us this link or that link just worked for them, and so we have another data point.

*Citi has in the past sometimes kept landing pages, not just application pages, up well past the official expiration date listed on the landing page. So "expired but still working" is not always limited to offers with landing pages gone.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:28 pm

Help needed for appeal

Applied both Citi AA AMEX and Visa. Both required address verification. After submitting address evidence, Citi AMEX got approved. However, Visa is denied saying my Credit report showing an existing Citi AA personal card. However, I closed my Citi AA Visa (applied in 2010) last December. Any suggestions on how to proceed and how to appeal?

Since the closed card will also be on the credit report for >10 years, will they reject the application of new AA card with the reason as a previous AA card holder?

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
This sounds a bit worrisome - kind of a prelude of some tightening up.
I won't worry too much. Citi has no way of knowing what's in your AA account and they'd run into serious kickback if they start debiting people's miles, esp when they try to hit AA accounts with less than 50k. With nothing in the T&C (that I've ever seen) regarding the revoking of miles, it would be tantamount to theft if they did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.