Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This entire thread is so patently absurd. But I'm glad we have it - so we knw about some of the crap that is being trotted out by charlatans in the hopes that they can get ahold of some of our tax (and airport fee) dollars.
I'm thinking that not having this magical barrier won't impact the number of people who chose to fly.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
This entire thread is so patently absurd. But I'm glad we have it - so we knw about some of the crap that is being trotted out by charlatans in the hopes that they can get ahold of some of our tax (and airport fee) dollars.
The fact remains: the 9/11 and July 2003 plots were to simply wait for a pilot to routinely unlock the cockpit door. Since then, it's falsely believed that the problem was corrected with placing flight attendants and a galley cart in hopes to stop such a lone-wolf weaponless attacker. That's like two retired cheerleaders using a wheelchair to block Steeler Le’Veon Bell from diving for a touchdown to win his first Superbowl...

Let's just go through aahypothetical: A suicidal attacker sprints at an unlocked cockpit and slips on a banana peel, hits his head, and falls at flight attendant Bette Nash's feet unconscious--the aftermath of that will cripple the airline industry. Because now, a collective amount of ambitious politicians will finally read the 9/11 Commission, the 6-year redacted July 26, 2003 warning memo, the redacted $125 pay-per-view 2011 RTCA DO-329 study report, and the redacted and unpublished June 26, 2017 USDOT-OIG Audit Report--and then all tout that they discovered those plots were just to wait for the forward galley song and dance before the door swings open.

Flights will be cancelled and ticket prices will sky-rocket and no one will bat an eye due to still being in fear--just like when Iraq was invaded.

There's a good reason why police stations, prisons, banks, jewelry stores, schools, etc. have secondary barrier systems or also known as "salley ports," "air locks" or "people traps"--but I guess they are also are all "absurd" for installing them...

Nevertheless, I appreciate the emails I've received from others lurking in this thread who don't want to be attacked for these obvious security lapses being addressed.

I wish everyone here a Happy New Year!

Signing out.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 16, 2019 at 3:47 am Reason: Restore original message
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
The fact remains: the 9/11 and July 2003 plots were to simply wait for a pilot to routinely unlock the cockpit door. Since then, it's believed that the problem was corrected with placing flight attendants and a galley cart in hopes to stop such a lone-wolf weaponless attack. That's like two retired cheerleaders using a wheelchair to block Steeler Le’Veon Bell from diving for a touchdown to win his first Superbowl...
The fact remains that flight crews are acutely aware of who is standing, moving, in the lav, etc. well before they place their cart and open the door. Airplanes are very confining places with narrow corridors and low ceilings. The thought of someone jumping over a guarded 3 foot cart and landing in the relatively small space behind it and then magically entering the cockpit stretches credulity well into comic book territory.
Nevertheless, I appreciate the emails I've received from others lurking in this thread who don't want to be attacked for these obvious security lapses being addressed.
Nbody wants to be attacked. Stoking fear to sell useless products in the name of "security" is pretty lame.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact remains that flight crews are acutely aware of who is standing, moving, in the lav, etc. well before they place their cart and open the door. Airplanes are very confining places with narrow corridors and low ceilings. The thought of someone jumping over a guarded 3 foot cart and landing in the relatively small space behind it and then magically entering the cockpit stretches credulity well into comic book territory.
Nbody wants to be attacked. Stoking fear to sell useless products in the name of "security" is pretty lame.
Highlighting above mine.

Isn't that how we ended up with TSA?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Isn't that how we ended up with TSA?
Indeed it is. And we learn frm history that we learn nothing from history. SAD!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
And a Mr. Coffee!
Not on a long-haul! It'd just make the pilots fill their diapers faster.

And I don't care how big the bonus, there ain't a flight attendant alive who'd change them.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Not on a long-haul! It'd just make the pilots fill their diapers faster.

And I don't care how big the bonus, there ain't a flight attendant alive who'd change them.
Can look at past practices and install a relief tube in the cockpit.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 1, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Due to the proliferation of ad hominem attacks - most of which have been deleted - and the OP having signed out, it it time to close this thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

FOIA of redacted 2017 USDOT-OIG report on "ineffective" cockpit security measures

After TSA refused to provide me a copy of the unpublished 26-page June 26, 2017 U.S. Department of Transportation / Office of Inspector General (USDOT-OIG) Audit Report No. AV2017063, I requested one directly from the USDOT-OIG to transmit to me through a classified information network. Despite the fact that I'm a TSA Federal Air Marshal with an active TOP SECRET security clearance, USDOT-OIG also denied me a copy. I then requested a copy through the Freedom Of Information Act. USDOT-OIG finally provided me this heavily redacted copy--

PAGE 11: "As an example, the report concluded that some improvised [cockpit] secondary barriers, such as a flight attendant with a galley cart, were ineffective 'as tested,' and additional enhancements were required to raise the effectiveness of certain barrier methods to an acceptable level.
[ . . . ]
FAA has not effectively communicated the [cockpit secondary barriers] guidance to air carriers and inspectors. Despite the important recommendations from the RTCA report, only 5 of 63 air carrier representatives and none of the 34 FAA inspectors we interviewed were aware of either the RTCA study or FAA's guidance. According to FAA, this is because none of the airlines we interviewed had requested new blocking procedures, and inspectors were under the impression the guidance only applied to new procedures. As a result, critical information contained in the study was ineffectively communicated to the field to address safety risks as called for in FAA’s Safety Management System."
It's noteworthy that the study used role-players who did not attack at full-speed and were naturally unwilling to hurt themselves. There was also a concern about injury liability. In real life, attackers are suicidal and will go at full-strength.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/96c84c2c2a64...&alloworigin=1
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One would think that you would have been briefed on the recommendations and the FAA's responses. Usually, IG reports (even classified ones) result in at least one congressional hearing with authorization committees. It would be worth your time to check with the TSA Office of Legislative Affairs to find out if a hearing was ever held or if the FAA OIG provided a copy to congress. Because the DOT (and DHS for that matter) both have statutory IGs, they are pretty much obligated to deliver every report to Congress. I'm also surprised that the report wasn't available on a wiki site on the high side, unless the FAA figured out how to add a code word to the document's classification just to limit distribution.
Xyzzy and MacLeanBarrier like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:55 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
How invested are you in the company you are advertising in your profile that conveniently sells a "solution" for this phantom-problem?

Plenty of us have TS-SCI clearances, that is not special nor does it need to be mentioned regarding getting the info. If you really have a clearance you know if info is at that level you would have to have a 'need to know' before just randomly having it transmitted to you just because you have a clearance.

Seeing as how the door is not opened on many flights, and on others is not held open as noted on the report, you are proposing a costly solution to a problem that does not exist as a threat level compared to other publicly disclosed methods.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

I'm going to reopen this thread on a trial basis.

Please keep in mind that personal and ad hominem attacks are in violation of the posting rules:
FlyerTalk Rule12.2

Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

<snip>

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.
The next poster who gets personal with another will be suspended for a minimum of seven days.

Please consider this to be your only warning!

TWA884
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
How invested are you in the company you are advertising in your profile that conveniently sells a "solution" for this phantom-problem?

Plenty of us have TS-SCI clearances, that is not special nor does it need to be mentioned regarding getting the info. If you really have a clearance you know if info is at that level you would have to have a 'need to know' before just randomly having it transmitted to you just because you have a clearance.

Seeing as how the door is not opened on many flights, and on others is not held open as noted on the report, you are proposing a costly solution to a problem that does not exist as a threat level compared to other publicly disclosed methods.
I do not own any company nor am I invested in any.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian

It's been well over 20 years since I was involved with government classified information so my memory may be faulty. Isn't it a security violation to disclose clearance information/level to anyone who has no need to know that fact?

I note that the letter linked in OP's post "OIG Audit Report No. AV2017063 titled, “FAA Has Taken Steps to Identify Flight Deck Vulnerabilities but Needs to Enhance Its Mitigation Efforts.” is not classified but only marked SSI. I'm guessing that the authority that so marked that document still can determine who has a "Need to Know". Perhaps that authority didn't want to disseminate the document to field employees. Face it, the more people who know something the less secure that information becomes.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:00 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Personal Exchange and Topic Drift

Folks,

The subject of this thread is the MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System!

Please discuss the effectiveness of and the need for the system, NOT each other.

Arguing whether it is a security violation for the OP to disclose clearance information/level is a violation of FlyerTalk Rule 12.2, which I linked and quoted in my earlier post here today, and it is off topic for this thread and forum.

TWA884
MacLeanBarrier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.