Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
I wouldn't be so sure. With more and more states falling in line, the DHS will be less inclined to move their current deadline. If most populous states issue RealID-compliant licenses by October 2020 (and they will), why would the DHS not follow through on their threats?
The possibility of triggering a lawsuit over having to show ID to the federal government to travel in the United States might be one reason.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The possibility of triggering a lawsuit over having to show ID to the federal government to travel in the United States might be one reason.
We already have to show ID to travel domestically by air. So, why would specifically RealID trigger such lawsuit? Now, if they eliminate the option of going through an enhanced pat-down in lieu of ID, then I can see a possible lawsuit going their way. However, I still don't see how it relates specifically to RealID and the October 2020 deadline.

Originally Posted by Often1
... the passport card only costs $25 above the passport book fee..
$30 :-)

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 15, 2019 at 6:58 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We already have to show ID to travel domestically by air. So, why would specifically RealID trigger such lawsuit? Now, if they eliminate the option of going through an enhanced pat-down in lieu of ID, then I can see a possible lawsuit going their way. However, I still don't see how it relates specifically to RealID and the October 2020 deadline.
A federal court ruled some years ago that ID is not required to be presented to government to travel, by air or any other means.

TSA has this work around that you might be allowed to travel if you don't have ID. To my knowledge no test case has been brought challenging this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jfunk138
They've been threatening to deny various ID's for over a decade now. Every time they back off. October 2020 will be no different.
Right! October 1, 2020 is deadline. That's final! You must go to MVD office to get a travel ID. You must pay $25 for 8 years.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Here are some possibilities of what might happen IF TSA were to try and enforce this:
1. Some poor schmuck loses relative in a high profile newsworthy story but is denied air travel because he lacks gold star on his license: "I never expected to have to fly on an airplane".

2. Some person who "arrived" in the US as a child and lacks necessary "papers" to receive gold star is denied air travel...

These stories (particularly #2 ) do not end well for TSA.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:45 pm

Right now you can travel without ID. It's cumbersome, but you can.

Once REAl ID is enforced, you will not be allowed to travel without ID. At all.

Imagine losing your wallet on vacation....
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by CBear
Right now you can travel without ID. It's cumbersome, but you can.

Once REAl ID is enforced, you will not be allowed to travel without ID. At all.

Imagine losing your wallet on vacation....
Citations, please, for this claim.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Citations, please, for this claim.
I doubt that there is a document published saying by not having Real ID you can't travel by air. I do think that is what government is driving at though. Especially DHS/TSA. Control of the populace has clearly been increasing, again from DHS/TSA. Being required to follow secret rules. Getting written up when challenging aTSA screener. Being groped with no means to have an effective means of reporting such incidents. If this isn't a subjugation of airline travelers and a "Papers Please" movement I don't know what one would be.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I doubt that there is a document published saying by not having Real ID you can't travel by air. I do think that is what government is driving at though. Especially DHS/TSA. Control of the populace has clearly been increasing, again from DHS/TSA. Being required to follow secret rules. Getting written up when challenging aTSA screener. Being groped with no means to have an effective means of reporting such incidents. If this isn't a subjugation of airline travelers and a "Papers Please" movement I don't know what one would be.
REAL ID changes the list of acceptable IDs, by limiting state-issued IDs to those that are federally compliant. There has been no indication that the procedures for those without ID are changing.

People are going to lose their wallets while on vacation, drop their IDs on the street while drunk, etc. There is no practical way to enforce an ID requirement of any type without providing an alternative mechanism, and the government would be foolish to even try.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cbn42
REAL ID changes the list of acceptable IDs, by limiting state-issued IDs to those that are federally compliant. There has been no indication that the procedures for those without ID are changing.

People are going to lose their wallets while on vacation, drop their IDs on the street while drunk, etc. There is no practical way to enforce an ID requirement of any type without providing an alternative mechanism, and the government would be foolish to even try.
Unfortunately, when RealID is finally 'in', there are almost certainly going to be months of episodes of random TDCs going overboard, on their own initiative or because their FSD orders them to do so. Some TDCs are going to assume that people without ID are lying.

One of our younger family members (who would lose her head if it wasn't attached) has been told that there would be 'severe consequences' if they found ID when they searched and swabbed her bag when she tried to board a return flight and had lost her wallet. I expect to hear more threats like that and see more harassing searches for folks who show up with RealID.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I wouldn't be so sure. With more and more states falling in line, the DHS will be less inclined to move their current deadline. If most populous states issue RealID-compliant licenses by October 2020 (and they will), why would the DHS not follow through on their threats?
One of the problems, which my personal situation highlights - while states may be issuing Real IDs well before the deadline not every state necessarily will require a new ID before that deadline. My DL doesn't expire until 2021. I live in a Real ID state, so it's good for now. But it won't be good for a few months between this date and its expiration (at which point I'll have to get a real Real ID). I doubt I'm alone on this, given the typical DL is valid for 4-5 years from issuance.

FWIW, I'll use my GE card anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by drewguy
One of the problems, which my personal situation highlights - while states may be issuing Real IDs well before the deadline not every state necessarily will require a new ID before that deadline. My DL doesn't expire until 2021. I live in a Real ID state, so it's good for now. But it won't be good for a few months between this date and its expiration (at which point I'll have to get a real Real ID). I doubt I'm alone on this, given the typical DL is valid for 4-5 years from issuance.

FWIW, I'll use my GE card anyway.
I'm not going through the DMV hassle - time and $ - to replace a DL with years left before it expires. I don't have a passport card, so I'll use my passport.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42

You could be right but the water has steadily been getting warmer.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
NYS still issues (non-compliant) DLs as well as "enhanced"[$30 extra but is also "real id" compliant AND is valid at land/sea border crossings] and "real id" (with a *)
At NYSDMV I was reading the requirements for "real id", the list is long. For new DLs (non-compliant) assuming one passes the road test, not as involved as for real id.
To get a new PPs the conditions are far more "relaxed" than for a "read id" DL, yet PPs are valid for air travel and access to fed buildings.
NYS lets holders of (non-compliant) DLs to renew by mail; current PP holders can also renew by mail.
Since holders of both PPs and (non-compliant) DLs get the same (and more) privileges than "real id" holders, IMHO "real id", while mandated by congress/DHS has a less secure work-a-round.
PS: NYS is in compliance since it issues "real id" DL, but allows drivers to continue to use the "old" DLs.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
Unfortunately, when RealID is finally 'in', there are almost certainly going to be months of episodes of random TDCs going overboard, on their own initiative or because their FSD orders them to do so. Some TDCs are going to assume that people without ID are lying.

One of our younger family members (who would lose her head if it wasn't attached) has been told that there would be 'severe consequences' if they found ID when they searched and swabbed her bag when she tried to board a return flight and had lost her wallet. I expect to hear more threats like that and see more harassing searches for folks who show up with RealID.
Another interesting scenario... Person has a passport and planned to use it to fly. Person forgot their passport but does have a non-REAL ID DL. Do they present their non-"REAL" ID DL and explain they forgot their passport? Do they just say they forgot their ID and go through the normal "forgotten id" drill? What happens when the TSA searches them and finds the non compliant ID?

I can picture numerous scenarios in which the TSA might try to make an example of a person who has a legitimate plan for compliance (Passport, etc) but who chooses not to upgrade(or IMHO downgrade) to REAL ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.