Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:24 am

While this might not be totally on topic, I will say that one thing to consider for WA's EDL is that there are some privacy concerns since the license emits a signal that can be read up to several feet away.

The best bang for your buck in WA is to probably get a Nexus card for $50.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by mrwheezy117
While this might not be totally on topic, I will say that one thing to consider for WA's EDL is that there are some privacy concerns since the license emits a signal that can be read up to several feet away.

Washington State's EDL is not unique in this. All WHTI-compliant documents must be readable with RFID. The NEXUS card contains a similar chip. The existence of the readable chip is why all three of the NEXUS card, Washington State Enhanced Driver License or ID card, and Passport card have verbiage that says "keep this card in its protective sleeve[...]. This will help prevent the RFID chip from being read by an unauthorized reader." All three also come with a foil-lined sleeve in the mail.

Source: I have, in my possession at this moment, all three cards and their associated sleeves.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrwheezy117

It's worth pointing out that the licence only transmits a card ID number (which corresponds to your record with CBP or CBSA), no actual personal data is stored on the card itself.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Posts discussing whether a Spanish passport is acceptable identification for domestic travel were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
A wiki might be nice as either the 10/2018 or 10/2020 deadlines approach.

Here's what I know. American Samoa driver's licenses will not be acceptable starting February 5, 2018 per press release of 1/19/2018. https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/01/19/...id-enforcement It is possible that there might be some delays and leeway (or no leeway) until May 6, 2018 because DHS says the TSA will provide assistance, whatever that is. American Samoa becomes the first territory or state that the driver's license is no good to fly.

New York driver's licenses issued October 30, 2017 and later are accepted as are enhanced driver's licenses. Driver's licenses that are not enhanced and issued before 10/30/17 will not be allowable to fly as of October 1, 2020.

Washington state enhanced driver's license are Real ID compliant. Non-enhanced ones are not and are usable to fly until October 10, 2018 but it is expected to be enforced as of October 1, 2020. Washington state has no plans to become compliant, asking people to get enhanced driver's licenses. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/washington and Passport to fly domestically? What Washington residents need to know KIRO-TV

California is up against the same deadlines as Washington state, technically October 10, 2018 but practically October 1, 2020. California does not have enhanced driver's licenses.

The cheapest way if from a non-compliant state seems to be:
1. passport, if you already have one and need one for travel. Extra costs: none, because you already have a passport.
2. enhanced driver's license (only a few states, such as WA, MN, MI, NY, VT). WA state is $24 more expensive than a regular driver's license, good for 6 years
3. NEXUS card $50 (good for at least 5 years, up to 5 year, 11 months). An interview has to be done at a NEXUS office, located only in areas near the Canadian border.
4. Passport card $55 (good for 10 years), $30 if you apply with passport application. Applying with a passport application is the cheapest per year solution if you don't want to carry a passport.
5. Global Entry card $100 (good for 5 years)
6. Passport $110 + $25 if the first time applying or lost expired passport
There are currently massive lines at many California DMV offices (think several hours) which is attributed in part to the millions of people who want RealID licenses (the current versions do not qualify). To get one you have to bring several documents including passports or certified birth certificates, SSN cards, utility bills, etc. Personally I do not plan to waste my time standing in these lines if I am allowed to renew my current DL by mail (as is usually the case). I am happy to use my Passport, Passport Card or GE Card at TSA checkpoints and of course my children don't need any ID when traveling within the USA.

Anybody else planning to tell the TSA and DMV to kiss off?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Boraxo
There are currently massive lines at many California DMV offices (think several hours) which is attributed in part to the millions of people who want RealID licenses (the current versions do not qualify). To get one you have to bring several documents including passports or certified birth certificates, SSN cards, utility bills, etc. Personally I do not plan to waste my time standing in these lines if I am allowed to renew my current DL by mail (as is usually the case). I am happy to use my Passport, Passport Card or GE Card at TSA checkpoints and of course my children don't need any ID when traveling within the USA.

That's my plan. I'm not up for renewal until next year, but if the lines haven't subsided by then, I will get a "regular" license and use my passport or GE card at airports.

My only concern is the stigma of a "federal limits apply" license. I am "brown" and while I was born in the US, most of my family wasn't. What if a bouncer at a bar sees my license, which will look exactly like an AB60 license, and decides not to admit me because 'merica?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
That's my plan. I'm not up for renewal until next year, but if the lines haven't subsided by then, I will get a "regular" license and use my passport or GE card at airports.

My only concern is the stigma of a "federal limits apply" license. I am "brown" and while I was born in the US, most of my family wasn't. What if a bouncer at a bar sees my license, which will look exactly like an AB60 license, and decides not to admit me because 'merica?
Go to a different bar. No point arguing with a bouncer but might get some traction with the owner of the establishment.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cbn42

I needed to come in for an eye examination when I renewed my CDL; I think that it is required every 15 years.

I made an appointment online. A convenient time was available at the DMV office closest to my home the week after I received the renewal notice in the mail.

I got to the DMV a few minutes early. I brought my passport, Social Security card and property tax bill. I was in and out in less than half an hour. The new license with the Real ID designation, a bear and yellow star on the upper right hand corner, arrived less than a week later.

Now, people who showed up without appointments stood in a very long line that extended out of the building all the way to the sidewalk.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Yes. Even without presenting ID-issued and/or approved by the federales, I still get cleared by the TSA after a round of questions and/or alternative “proof” of identification. It will continue to work after October of this year too.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Go to a different bar. No point arguing with a bouncer but might get some traction with the owner of the establishment.
Not always possible to go to a different bar. I know it's not a huge issue, but it can be a nuisance. And in this day and age, I am somewhat concerned about having an ID that people associate with illegal immigrants. I have a year until my license is up for renewal, so I'm in wait-and-see mode right now.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

I know I've told this story before but once when I went to renew my license, with a whole handful of documents, I encountered a little old man in tears. He was trying to get his license renewed (in my state you don't have a choice, you are required to get a REAL ID license) but was refused because one of his documents, his birth certificate, showed his name as John Smith and another (IIRC it was his Social Security card) as John Joseph Smith, Joseph being his confirmation name. He was told he had to get proof from the church where he was confirmed of the addition of the name Joseph. He told the DMV clerk that he had been confirmed in Italy 60 years prior and didn't have any idea in which church or even where it was.

Basically, he was told "tough luck, you can't renew your driver's license." I also don't know if my state (or DHS) has taken any steps to rectify such idiotic bureaucracy or not.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I got to the DMV a few minutes early. I brought my passport, Social Security card and property tax bill. I was in and out in less than half an hour. The new license with the Real ID designation, a bear and yellow star on the upper right hand corner, arrived less than a week later.

Now, people who showed up without appointments stood in a very long line that extended out of the building all the way to the sidewalk.
I see that you live in/near LA, but in Bay Area having an appointment does not guarantee such a smooth sailing. Granted you won't have to stand in line that circle the building a few times (as those without an appointment), but most likely you'd still have to allow at least 1.5-2 hours to do whatever you need to do there. I know you are a moderator, but I've got to say that California DMV offices in the Bay resemble more a third-world country than a progressive tech-friendly US state.

Last edited by König; Aug 3, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
... He was told he had to get proof from the church where he was confirmed of the addition of the name Joseph. He told the DMV clerk that he had been confirmed in Italy 60 years prior and didn't have any idea in which church or even where it was.

Basically, he was told "tough luck, you can't renew your driver's license." I also don't know if my state (or DHS) has taken any steps to rectify such idiotic bureaucracy or not.
I wonder if having his confirmation name is so important to him or not, but in the worst case he could quickly "correct" his name with the SSA and re-apply. Alternatively, if he has a US passport that includes his confirmation name, he could use that too because a birth certificate and a passport are both considered primary documents when applying for a Real-ID.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by König
I see that you live in/near LA, but in Bay Area having an appointment does not guarantee such a smooth sailing. Granted you won't have to stand in line that circle the building a few times (as those without an appointment), but most likely you'd still have to allow at least 1.5-2 hours to do whatever you need to do there. I know you are a moderator, but I've got to say that California DMV offices in the Bay resemble more a third-world country than a progressive tech-friendly US state.
100% correct. When I visited last month the line for "appointments" was absurdly long too. Thankfully there is no need to visit the DMV for car registration as you can renew by mail & internet. Sales/transfer can be done at AAA offices (buy membership on the spot if you don't have one). But no dice if you need a vision or written test for a license renewal.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nevada--I had to renew in person anyway, the additional time for RealID was perhaps 30 seconds. Why not? Could be useful for federal buildings. We already have passport cards in case we want TSA ID for a domestic flight. (I don't like showing them the ID of an empty house.)
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.