Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I know I've told this story before but once when I went to renew my license, with a whole handful of documents, I encountered a little old man in tears. He was trying to get his license renewed (in my state you don't have a choice, you are required to get a REAL ID license) but was refused because one of his documents, his birth certificate, showed his name as John Smith and another (IIRC it was his Social Security card) as John Joseph Smith, Joseph being his confirmation name. He was told he had to get proof from the church where he was confirmed of the addition of the name Joseph. He told the DMV clerk that he had been confirmed in Italy 60 years prior and didn't have any idea in which church or even where it was.

Basically, he was told "tough luck, you can't renew your driver's license." I also don't know if my state (or DHS) has taken any steps to rectify such idiotic bureaucracy or not.
Yup. My wife went through the hassle of a legal name change so she wouldn't get stuck when RealID became mandated. The culprit was an errant hyphen on her naturalization certificate that was only noticed 20 years later by Social Security. Everything else (including her passport) had her name as intended. Gotta have that SS card for RealID, though, and the hyphen made for a major mismatch.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
I wonder if having his confirmation name is so important to him or not, but in the worst case he could quickly "correct" his name with the SSA and re-apply. Alternatively, if he has a US passport that includes his confirmation name, he could use that too because a birth certificate and a passport are both considered primary documents when applying for a Real-ID.
Quickly correct his name with SSA? Even when my wife presented a legal name change they made it hard!

And the passport name has to match the SS name or you won't get it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So not to hijack the topic - but how is this supposed to work for illegals who are currently issued California licenses. I would imagine most of them will not have valid SSN cards, and the overseas birth certs may be a problem.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So not to hijack the topic - but how is this supposed to work for illegals who are currently issued California licenses. I would imagine most of them will not have valid SSN cards, and the overseas birth certs may be a problem.
They are not eligible for Real ID; the Real ID act requires the states to have evidence of an individual’s “lawful status” by way of being either a citizen or permanent or temporary lawful alien.
REAL ID Frequently Asked Questions for the Public

REAL ID allows compliant states to issue driver's licenses and identification cards where the identity of the applicant cannot be assured or for whom lawful presence is not determined. In fact, some states currently issue such noncompliant cards to undocumented individuals. These cards must clearly state on their face (and in the machine readable zone) that it is not acceptable for official purposes and must use a unique design or color to differentiate them from compliant cards. DHS cautions against assuming that possession of a noncompliant card indicates the holder is an undocumented individual, given that several states issue noncompliant licenses for reasons unrelated to lawful presence.
In California they will continue to receive driver licenses with the wording "Federal Limits Apply" (front) and "not acceptable for official federal purposes" (back).

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reason: Append
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Quickly correct his name with SSA? Even when my wife presented a legal name change they made it hard!
And the passport name has to match the SS name or you won't get it.
If you don't mind me asking, how did they make it hard for your wife to change her name with the SSA? Well, when my wife and I naturalized, we went to a SSA on the same day and changed our names there. She received her new card the next day (!!!), and I received mine in 1.5 weeks. The delay, according to a SSA representative, was due to the USCIS slow response in confirming my change of status. Still, not that long. If it's a simple name change (due to marriage or a court order), it shouldn't take weeks.

As for the passport, if it had the same name as the SSA, then that old man from the Petaluma's story had to keep it current to avoid the problem's with the DMV. A citizen can bring a passport or a passport card to prove the full name and legal status.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
If you don't mind me asking, how did they make it hard for your wife to change her name with the SSA? Well, when my wife and I naturalized, we went to a SSA on the same day and changed our names there. She received her new card the next day (!!!), and I received mine in 1.5 weeks. The delay, according to a SSA representative, was due to the USCIS slow response in confirming my change of status. Still, not that long. If it's a simple name change (due to marriage or a court order), it shouldn't take weeks.

As for the passport, if it had the same name as the SSA, then that old man from the Petaluma's story had to keep it current to avoid the problem's with the DMV. A citizen can bring a passport or a passport card to prove the full name and legal status.
A: Over there, it's B's job.
B: Over there, it's A's job.

Even then they didn't want to do it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:36 pm

Since my DL expired at the end of July and I'm in my 60 days grace period to get it renewed I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of getting the documentation together, going to the only DMV office in the city (which is across town), and waiting in line for God knows how long is worth it seeing as I already have my passport, passport card, and GE card that I could use. I see on the DHS website it says Iowa is compliant but I assume that's only if you specifically request to have the star added after providing the "proper" documentation. Since I rarely drive I'm half tempted to just renew online and use my passport card for the couple times a year I fly.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I needed to come in for an eye examination when I renewed my CDL; I think that it is required every 15 years.

I made an appointment online. A convenient time was available at the DMV office closest to my home the week after I received the renewal notice in the mail.

I got to the DMV a few minutes early. I brought my passport, Social Security card and property tax bill. I was in and out in less than half an hour. The new license with the Real ID designation, a bear and yellow star on the upper right hand corner, arrived less than a week later.

Now, people who showed up without appointments stood in a very long line that extended out of the building all the way to the sidewalk.
It seems as if my experience was atypical.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How were wait times at California DMV offices prior to Real ID issues? Is the problem Real ID or something else in this case?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How were wait times at California DMV offices prior to Real ID issues? Is the problem Real ID or something else in this case?
There is a comparison chart in the linked article. As hard as I tried to copy and paste it here, I was unable to do so.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The LA Times also had a story today (may have been the same one) about long waits (4-6 hours!) at DMV offices in populated areas. The story cited a DMV spokesman who said explaining REAL ID to customers added 5 minutes to each customer interaction and that has caused longer lines. My experience with the DMV appointment system is that the DMV visit has been quick and efficient but getting a very near term appointment time slot is a problem. DMV customers who wait too long to take care of their DMV business may find that they can't get an appointment in time and then must go and stand in line. I also avoid the DMV by renewing my vehicle registration online or at the AAA club office.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
There is a comparison chart in the linked article. As hard as I tried to copy and paste it here, I was unable to do so.
Helps to read the whole article.

So wait times are the worse in Sacramento area where wait times increased by 60% to 102 minutes average from year 2017 to 2018. That in no way corresponds to wait times of several hours as being reported.
“Wait times are increasing, the lines are going around the block,” said Assemblyman Phil Ting, D-San Francisco. “Having people wait 4, 5, 6, 7 hours is completely unacceptable.”
I have no doubt there is a problem but it doesn't seem that Real ID is the driving issue.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The District of Columbia, which typically does nothing well, handled this very well.
1. Online interactive form in which you check the boxes for the items you will bring with you. As you complete the online form, green check marks appear. Print the form and it serves as a reminder so that you then bring those documents, e.g., passport, SSA card, utility bill, or whatever. Application form is online and can be filled out and printed and brought with you. People who show up with insufficient documents are denied before tying up a processor. They may wait for assistance as to what they need to do or simply go back and do it correctly.
2. Go to DMV and stand in line. If you do this weekdays between 9:30-11:30 AM or 1:30-4:00 PM, it is about a 15-minute wait to the first screener who confirms your documents, adds various notes and hands you a number. That number is then called and it takes 5 minutes with the final processor who handles vision test, digital photo, signature, payment and issuance of temporary license. This may or may not be a minute or so longer than in the past, but hard to tell.
3. Permanent REAL ID DL is mailed to home address within 5-7 days.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
They've been threatening to deny various ID's for over a decade now. Every time they back off. October 2020 will be no different.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by jfunk138
They've been threatening to deny various ID's for over a decade now. Every time they back off. October 2020 will be no different.
I wouldn't be so sure. With more and more states falling in line, the DHS will be less inclined to move their current deadline. If most populous states issue RealID-compliant licenses by October 2020 (and they will), why would the DHS not follow through on their threats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.