Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that TSA cares what you do or do not have for ID that is not presented at the checkpoint.

If you don't have compliant ID with you, you will be shunted off to the process for verifying your identity through secondary means.

My guess is that if there is still anybody out there lacking Real ID compliant (or other acceptable) ID if and when this all is effective, the identity verification process may be drawn out simply because of the numbers of people.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I doubt that TSA cares what you do or do not have for ID that is not presented at the checkpoint.

If you don't have compliant ID with you, you will be shunted off to the process for verifying your identity through secondary means.

My guess is that if there is still anybody out there lacking Real ID compliant (or other acceptable) ID if and when this all is effective, the identity verification process may be drawn out simply because of the numbers of people.
or more TSA punishment for travelers.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
At NYSDMV I was reading the requirements for "real id", the list is long. For new DLs (non-compliant) assuming one passes the road test, not as involved as for real id.
To get a new PPs the conditions are far more "relaxed" than for a "read id" DL, yet PPs are valid for air travel and access to fed buildings.
In IL, for first-time DL, you are required to present
  1. something with a signature (e.g., passport, out of state DL, military DL);
  2. something with date of birth (e.g., birth cert, passport, military DL);
  3. something with your SSN (e.g., SS card, military DL); and
  4. something proving residency (e.g., utility bill).
For IL Real ID, requirements are practically the same. Only differences I can see are that, for some reason, a US Passport is not eligible for Real ID written signature, and that Real ID requires 2 pieces of documentation for residency rather than just 1 for a regular DL.

And, of course, you must go to the DMV in person with all this stuff in order to get the Real ID rather than just renewing by mail.

My DL expires later this year and trying to decide if I want to bother with the Real ID or just renew by mail and have my GE card as my default ID (which I've been using for the last 6 years).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
"New York Assembly Approves Driver’s Licenses For Undocumented Immigrants"

Undocs could get a DL with no citizenship papers or SS number. How will that be RealID compliant? DHS will have a cow.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
"New York Assembly Approves Driver’s Licenses For Undocumented Immigrants"

Undocs could get a DL with no citizenship papers or SS number. How will that be RealID compliant? DHS will have a cow.
Like many other states, New York issues both REAL ID compliant and non-compliant licenses and identifications. Undocumented aliens will not be issued the REAL ID compliant versions. The non-compliant documents have the wording "not valid for federal purposes."
Attached Images  
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Maryland is fully into this RealID thing. They're requiring all Maryland residents to show documentation and renew/upgrade to a fully compliant RealID driver's license or non-driver's ID by the Oct 2020 deadline. And it's getting ugly - I renewed my license back in April and was forced to make an appointment at the MVA to bring hard copy documents. Lines at all MVA branches in the state are out the door. Renewal five years ago took less than half an hour; this time, I was cooling my heels in that place for two hours.

The hostility was palpable; people were really, really angry at the new requirements, and the long lines, and were voicing their opinions in no uncertain (and often NSFW) terms.

I actually screwed up - I had made an advance appointment online, but when I showed up, I saw only one queue to show documents, so I got into it. After being in the queue for 30 minutes, I noticed another very short queue area to the side that was completely empty, with an overhead sign that had been hidden behind a pillar until I had advanced 3/4 through the main queue: "Online appointments only." Lemme tell ya, there was no way I was going to duck OUT of that long queue of angry Baltimorians and slip into an empty queue, even though I had a legitimate appointment. The risk of angry shouting, possibly even violence, was too great. I just stayed in the regular queue for another 10 minutes.

Maryland driver's licenses used to be valid for 5 years, but now they are valid for 6. Online renewal is possible in the future, but the first time someone renews since implementation of the RealID standard, they have to show up at an MVA branch in person, with hard copy documents.

Also, Maryland now sends your license to you in the mail, rather than printing it at the MVA and allowing you to take it out the door. They give you a temporary paper printout to use in the meantime. I renewed with several weeks of validity left on my old license, and they don't confiscate the old license, so I didn't need the paper printout.

Total number of docs needed is four:
* One (1) Proof of Age and Identity
* One (1) Proof of Social Security
* Two (2) Proofs of Residential Address

The list of acceptable docs for each of these requirements is lengthy, so for most people the documentation requirement is merely a hassle, not an obstruction. I personally used my passport card (not explicitly on the list but it is acceptable), my original social security card, my vehicle registration, and my auto insurance card.

One (1) Proof of Age and Identity
* U.S. Birth Certificate - original or certified copy (Documents issued by a hospital, notification of birth registration, birth registration cards, and foreign birth certificates not accepted)
* U.S. Passport - valid or expired less than 5 years (Minors require additional documents to prove parental relationship)
* Customers Age 65 and Older
-->Military discharge document with full name and date of birth
-->Social Security Administration Benefits Summary with name and date of birth
* Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) - original or certified copy
* Permanent Resident Card- valid, unexpired
* Certificate of Naturalization
* Certificate of Citizenship
* Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) - unexpired
* Unexpired Foreign Passport WITH current valid USCIS Documentation
* US or MD Birth Certificate for adopted individuals with Adoption Records/Certificate/Decree (Customers born abroad adopted by US citizens.)
* U.S Adoption records with full name and date of birth
* Unexpired Foreign Passport WITHOUT current, valid USCIS documentation
* Consular ID Card - unexpired (from Guatemala, Mexico, or Equador)

One (1) Proof of Social Security
* Original Social Security Card
* W-2 form (displaying your name and entire SSN)
* SSA-1099 (displaying your name and entire SSN)
* Non-SSA-1099 form (displaying your name and entire SSN)
* Pay stub displaying your name and full SSN (Not more than 3 months old.)
* Document from Social Security Administration demonstrating non-work authorized status.

Two (2) Proofs of Residential Address
* Maryland vehicle registration card or title
* Insurance card or policy
* Utility, telephone, or cable/satellite TV communications regarding account
* Checking, savings, financial account or collection agency communications
* Property tax bill or receipt
* Mortgage account statement, deed, communication from the State Department Assessment and taxation or other proof of home ownership
* Residential rental contract (apartment lease or other rental of real property)
* Mail or benefits statement from a federal, state or local government agency
* Copy of federal or MD income tax return filing
* Loan document from a bank or other financial institution
* Sales tax or business license
* U.S College or University communications
* U.S. High School Report Card or U.S. High School Transcript
* Valid Maryland State issued professional license.
* Credit card statement
* Residential service contract or delivery for services performed at the address of residence (ex: TV repair, lawn service, furniture delivery)
* Medical or Hospital Bill
* Voter registration card
* Selective Service Card
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Renewed my last driver's license by mail but believe it is Real ID compliant. Have another couple of years before having to go in for another renewal. Still seems that a Passport Card will serve for anyone that needs an ID. Perfect to use as ID for all flights within the U.S. and good for some cruises.

Real ID was mandated by Congress and passed as the Real ID Act of 2005. I don't think there is any going back at this point.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Renewed my last driver's license by mail but believe it is Real ID compliant.
If it is REAL ID compliant, it will have a star at the upper right corner.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Renewed my last driver's license by mail but believe it is Real ID compliant. Have another couple of years before having to go in for another renewal. Still seems that a Passport Card will serve for anyone that needs an ID. Perfect to use as ID for all flights within the U.S. and good for some cruises.

Real ID was mandated by Congress and passed as the Real ID Act of 2005. I don't think there is any going back at this point.
Did you provide extensive documentation to your DMV when you renewed? If not, then your new DL is not RealID compliant.

Maryland doesn't offer renewal by mail or online until after an applicant presents their documentation in person at an MVA location at least once. I think those requirements have been in place for about two years, meaning that the first people who will be able to renew without showing up at MVA in person won't be able to do so for another four years (the RealID compliant licenses have a six-year validity).

I agree with you about the passport card. I have been using mine as ID when I fly for years, and it's also a very useful second form of government-issued photo ID for other purposes. I even used it when I renewed my MD diver's license.

Many states have been dragging their feet on RealID implementation, so I would not be surprised to see additional postponements of the nation-wide deadline.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Maryland problem is simply an inefficient and poorly-run state bureaucracy having nothing to do with RealID.

DC is not known for efficiency, but it took less than 30 minutes when I renewed and converted to RealID. The website has simple lists in plain English, one selects the documents to bring and prints out that list so that one can double-check before heading to DMV. There is a check-in area where documents are checked before one is sent to a clerk who handles the transaction. That keeps the lines moving and gets rid of the people who didn't bring the right documents.

The only irate people I saw were people who were turned away because they were missing a required document.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
If it is REAL ID compliant, it will have a star at the upper right corner.
No star so not complaint. Thank you.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Did you provide extensive documentation to your DMV when you renewed? If not, then your new DL is not RealID compliant.

Maryland doesn't offer renewal by mail or online until after an applicant presents their documentation in person at an MVA location at least once. I think those requirements have been in place for about two years, meaning that the first people who will be able to renew without showing up at MVA in person won't be able to do so for another four years (the RealID compliant licenses have a six-year validity).

I agree with you about the passport card. I have been using mine as ID when I fly for years, and it's also a very useful second form of government-issued photo ID for other purposes. I even used it when I renewed my MD diver's license.

Many states have been dragging their feet on RealID implementation, so I would not be surprised to see additional postponements of the nation-wide deadline.
No hoops yet. Guess I will get to enjoy that exercise at some later time.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
The Maryland problem is simply an inefficient and poorly-run state bureaucracy having nothing to do with RealID.

DC is not known for efficiency, but it took less than 30 minutes when I renewed and converted to RealID. The website has simple lists in plain English, one selects the documents to bring and prints out that list so that one can double-check before heading to DMV. There is a check-in area where documents are checked before one is sent to a clerk who handles the transaction. That keeps the lines moving and gets rid of the people who didn't bring the right documents.

The only irate people I saw were people who were turned away because they were missing a required document.
The Maryland 'problem', as you so eloquently put it, is an over-reaching federal government imposing pointless and ever more burdensome requirements on its citizens in an effort to constantly track and monitor said citizens' every move.

A website with 'simple lists in plain English'? <redacted by moderator> not everyone has internet at home, right? <redacted by moderator> not everyone is internet savvy, right?

My folks are intelligent wonderful people, but the internet came along too late in life for them to use it well, They are surrounded by many other wonderful patriots who have been getting driver's licenses for decades without having to suddenly produce 'papers, please'. In fact, many of them fought for the right to live in a country where you could live your life and travel freely without being required to produce 'papers, please'. Now suddenly their patriotic sacrifices and loyalty don't count for squat if they aren't internet savvy and if they can't produce quantities of 'papers, please' that they've never before had to produce.

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 14, 2019 at 1:01 pm Reason: Personal exchange
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:17 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Personal Exchanges

Folks,

The cardinal rule of FlyerTalk is that we discuss the topic at hand, not each other!
FlyerTalk Rule 12.2

Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by chollie
The Maryland 'problem', as you so eloquently put it, is an over-reaching federal government imposing pointless and ever more burdensome requirements on its citizens in an effort to constantly track and monitor said citizens' every move.

A website with 'simple lists in plain English'? <redacted by moderator> not everyone has internet at home, right? <redacted by moderator> not everyone is internet savvy, right?

My folks are intelligent wonderful people, but the internet came along too late in life for them to use it well, They are surrounded by many other wonderful patriots who have been getting driver's licenses for decades without having to suddenly produce 'papers, please'. In fact, many of them fought for the right to live in a country where you could live your life and travel freely without being required to produce 'papers, please'. Now suddenly their patriotic sacrifices and loyalty don't count for squat if they aren't internet savvy and if they can't produce quantities of 'papers, please' that they've never before had to produce.
Having to produce proof of identity and residency in order to get a driver's license is not a new thing. REAL ID might have shortened the list of permissible documents that can be used as proof, and modified some other procedures such as where the licenses are printed, but the principle is the same. Perhaps people currently in their 60s were originally able to obtain their licenses without any "papers please", but when I got my first license c. 2001, I had to show all my papers, and I'm fairly certain that was the case in every state. Let's not pretend that asking for papers is anything new.

As for being internet savvy, California provides a list of acceptable documents in the renewal notice that is mailed out to people when their license is expiring. I would be very surprised if other states didn't do something similar.

"Patriotic sacrifices and loyalty" are great, but everyone has to follow the same rules. Serving in the military doesn't automatically make someone trusted.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
Having to produce proof of identity and residency in order to get a driver's license is not a new thing. REAL ID might have shortened the list of permissible documents that can be used as proof, and modified some other procedures such as where the licenses are printed, but the principle is the same. Perhaps people currently in their 60s were originally able to obtain their licenses without any "papers please", but when I got my first license c. 2001, I had to show all my papers, and I'm fairly certain that was the case in every state. Let's not pretend that asking for papers is anything new.
Proof of residency? I don't recall having to provide anything of the sort until RealID came along. You provide the address, they mail the license to that address, the fact that you got it was considered evidence enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.