Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/airl...cense-tsa-rule

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/12/12/...rt-enforcement

TSA tried this a couple of times before and backed down when their deadline approached, didn't they?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: TSA
Actually, this has never really gone away - admittedly, every time TSA has posted a deadline in the past, it has been extended. Whether TSA actually goes through with this, or (like in the past) Congress tells TSA to shut it down or extend it remains to be seen.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
So I take my passport with me as I would on an international trip. So, my PA license isn't good enough. Somehow I think I will survive.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The deadline for Real ID has nothing to do with TSA and only a bit to do with DHS. The deadline is set by Congress and extensions have been granted by Congress.

All DHS does is the rules to implement the law. Those are fairly clear and easy.

Blaming TSA for Real ID is like blaming the IRS because you don't like your tax rate.
TSORon likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
So I take my passport with me as I would on an international trip. So, my PA license isn't good enough. Somehow I think I will survive.
Good for you. Lots of other people won't be so fortunate.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
This is an annual thing. They seem to pick like 9 states a year and get some "journalist" to create a fake news story that these 9 states are somehow outliers and ignore that there are only like 7 states that fully comply with RealID.

A number of states have specific laws on the books (PA is but one of them) that prohibit compliance with RealID.

Every year, the "deadline" comes and goes without fanfare and nobody's ID is denied at the airport.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Since this smells so much like "fake news", there's even a snopes entry on the one from last year (which they rated a "mixture" of real and fake):

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/realid.asp
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Discussions that are political in nature, such as the incoming administration, big brother, big government, federal govenment mandate of national ID and states' rights, are better left for OMNI/PR.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 21, 2016 at 4:01 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:23 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
The T&L article says that MN and WA residents will not be able to use DLs for TSA ID. Assuming no further extensions, this would be true for regular DLs but not true for EDLs which both states also issue. (Same for ID/EID for non-drivers in those states.)

Enhanced DL/ID cards are considered to be REAL ID compliant.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jfunk138
This is an annual thing. They seem to pick like 9 states a year and get some "journalist" to create a fake news story that these 9 states are somehow outliers and ignore that there are only like 7 states that fully comply with RealID.

A number of states have specific laws on the books (PA is but one of them) that prohibit compliance with RealID.

Every year, the "deadline" comes and goes without fanfare and nobody's ID is denied at the airport.
Yes, DHS will blink yet again.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Yes, DHS will blink yet again.
Yes, as usual when it comes to this governmental obsession over passenger ID.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, as usual when it comes to this governmental obsession over passenger ID.
I'm confused as to why any ID is needed for travel within a country.
If we are all checked properly, it is a wasted expense.

Don't get me started on paying for airline tickets with cash for day-of travel. Try it, when you have plenty of time and really don't need to catch a flight.

Anyone else remember getting on a plane in the early 1990s, taking a seat, paying cash for the trip and not being asked your name? It was like train travel, as it should be.

15 guys changed the entire flying world. Is that reasonable? They've won. So sad.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
The passport card has been around for 8 years now, and has hardly gained experience. It basically has two markets: people who drive to Canada/Mexico but never fly internationally, and travel nerds like us
I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that this federal ID card is kept at a low profile. We all remember an ill-fated National Identity Card that was implemented with loud fanfare by the Labour Party... just to be scrapped by the next government shortly thereafter. Had they introduced a simple plastic form of a passport in ID-1 format -- akin to those used in the USA and Ireland -- without creating a scary identity registry database, nobody would even notice
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by König
I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that this federal ID card is kept at a low profile. We all remember an ill-fated National Identity Card that was implemented with loud fanfare by the Labour Party... just to be scrapped by the next government shortly thereafter. Had they introduced a simple plastic form of a passport in ID-1 format -- akin to those used in the USA and Ireland -- without creating a scary identity registry database, nobody would even notice
The RealID Act pretty much does that.

The RIDA specifies lots of stuff, including requirements for the ID cards themselves (front-facing photo, include signature, etc), and requirements for the states to share their ID databases.

Once the states have all complied with the standards, then state-issued driving licenses and non-driving IDs will become a de facto national ID, because even though they are issued by the states, they will all comply with federal standards, and the information the states gather will all be shared with the federal government to a much greater extent than it is now.

I dislike the RealID standard because it requires a compliant ID to include essentially everything an identity thief needs except the SSN - full legal name, place of residence, date of birth, signature, and photograph (plus some other stuff). I prefer a passport card because it does not include the home address or signature (though it does include the date and place of birth - even the RealID standard doesn't include PoB). Still, I feel more comfortable traveling domestically on my passport card than on my DL.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The RealID Act pretty much does that.

The RIDA specifies lots of stuff, including requirements for the ID cards themselves (front-facing photo, include signature, etc), and requirements for the states to share their ID databases.

Once the states have all complied with the standards, then state-issued driving licenses and non-driving IDs will become a de facto national ID, because even though they are issued by the states, they will all comply with federal standards, and the information the states gather will all be shared with the federal government to a much greater extent than it is now.

I dislike the RealID standard because it requires a compliant ID to include essentially everything an identity thief needs except the SSN - full legal name, place of residence, date of birth, signature, and photograph (plus some other stuff). I prefer a passport card because it does not include the home address or signature (though it does include the date and place of birth - even the RealID standard doesn't include PoB). Still, I feel more comfortable traveling domestically on my passport card than on my DL.
Interesting that a signature is required - whenever I am required to sign anything I always write illegibly. I did just find out that my state is not RealID compliant and was given until mid-October to become so. Needless to say, that deadline was not met.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.