Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
That's my reaction when advised to get a Real ID. No way I'm going spend time in DMV for this, and assume a GE card will suffice.
Mrs B was very pleased to received a DMV letter yesterday to renew her CDL online or by mail. Neither of us plans to visit a California DMV office anytime soon for Real ID or any other reason. Our GE and passport cards will serve just fine though with Clear we rarely have to produce any ID.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I don't look forward to getting on a flight from PHX to DEN and having a TDC stand here and go through every page of my passport when the information they need is at the beginning of the passport, but I have never handed my passport to a TDC and not had them flip through the pages and even make a comment.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:46 pm

Papers Please has the best coverage I've seen anywhere about REAL ID in detail and without government BS: https://papersplease.org/wp/category/real-id/
84fiero likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I don't look forward to getting on a flight from PHX to DEN and having a TDC stand here and go through every page of my passport when the information they need is at the beginning of the passport, but I have never handed my passport to a TDC and not had them flip through the pages and even make a comment.
Spring for a Passport Card. Great for air travel.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
When I use my passport, I clip all the pages except the picture page together with one of those "micro" size paper clips from Staples and hand it to the clerk with the passport open to the picture page. A clerk has to go through the effort of unclipping the clip if they want to leaf through all of my stamps, which gives me the opportunity to object if they do it. They can't use the excuse that they were looking for the picture page.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:12 pm

A tweet showed up in my TL from a women who is very knowledgeable, well read and well versed in all things politics. She has just read of this requirement through a WSJ article on line. It's going to be so much fun if DHS actually tries to implement this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by petaluma1
A tweet showed up in my TL from a women who is very knowledgeable, well read and well versed in all things politics. She has just read of this requirement through a WSJ article on line. It's going to be so much fun if DHS actually tries to implement this.
Current signage and online information from DHS and TSA indicate that October of 2020 is still the active target date. One thing to keep in mind, is that even if the passenger does not have a RealID complaint ID, there are ways that TSA can screen the individual and still allow access. The requirements angle, is different, but most folks have the things needed to satisfy the RealID standards (most, not all). Hopefully, things will go off without a hitch, and we will move forward with this. DHS has had the mandate forever, but they have been putting it off over and over for a decade or so now. I hope they make a decision to go one way or the other.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The requirement for a quasi National ID should scare citizens to the bone. Real ID is just another notch on the belt of government taking control of our lives.
Spiff, 84fiero and petaluma1 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gsoltso
Current signage and online information from DHS and TSA indicate that October of 2020 is still the active target date. One thing to keep in mind, is that even if the passenger does not have a RealID complaint ID, there are ways that TSA can screen the individual and still allow access. The requirements angle, is different, but most folks have the things needed to satisfy the RealID standards (most, not all). Hopefully, things will go off without a hitch, and we will move forward with this. DHS has had the mandate forever, but they have been putting it off over and over for a decade or so now. I hope they make a decision to go one way or the other.
The language used, not only by DHS, but by other government agencies, does not suggest that the alternative means route will still be available. Besides, depending on the particular checkpoint, time of day, and what else is going on, the ID verification process can take a long time, something most would want to avoid.

I certainly would not use it as a routine means of travel.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The language used, not only by DHS, but by other government agencies, does not suggest that the alternative means route will still be available. Besides, depending on the particular checkpoint, time of day, and what else is going on, the ID verification process can take a long time, something most would want to avoid.

Courts have ruled that ID is not required for air travel. I think we might see another case that will go all the way to the Supreme Court challenging Real ID if government pushes back on this. All that is needed at this point is standing which TSA might well provide.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Courts have ruled that ID is not required for air travel. I think we might see another case that will go all the way to the Supreme Court challenging Real ID if government pushes back on this. All that is needed at this point is standing which TSA might well provide.
It's going nowhere. TSA does not have a vested interest in RealID, only in sticking to enforcement if it comes to pass.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are still showing up at checkpoints daily with oversized LGAs and you think this will go off without a hitch?

Of course it doesn't. Why would the government want the people to know there are alternatives to producing a REAL ID to fly?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 17, 2019 at 4:59 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's going nowhere. TSA does not have a vested interest in RealID, only in sticking to enforcement if it comes to pass.
I'm not so certain. Real ID was passed into law after the court ruling. While TSA might not have a vested interest if no alternative is offered then a question of the constitutionality of Real ID is created.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are still showing up at checkpoints daily with oversized LGAs and you think this will go off without a hitch?
To be fair, gsoltso didn't say he thinks it will go off without a hitch. He just said he hopes it will go off without a hitch.

I have no such hope, but then I've often been called hopeless by those who know me best.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Senate chairman worried ‘Real ID’ will shock air travelers

A post-9/11 law designed to keep people from using fake IDs to board airplanes is one year away from taking effect, but the chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee worries that it’s destined to create “Y2K-type disruption” at the nation’s airports in October 2020.
Will this be the attention that will be the start of delaying Real ID?

In California, Department of Motor Vehicles officials initially required just one proof of residency for the REAL ID; the federal law demanded two, said Anita Gore, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
Will TSA accept California DL as being compliant? I don't see how CA DL could be accepted. If they are isn't the whole concept of Real ID just a sham?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.