Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Old Jan 20, 19, 10:59 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PDX
Programs: AS DL
Posts: 9,038
Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

In October 2020, Real ID compliant identification must be shown at airports in the US. What is the best to carry?

a. driver's license - small, no additional costs (disclaimer: some states are just starting to or haven't yet issued Real ID compliant driver's licenses. This may cause people to have non-compliant ID unless they get a new driver's license or, if in NY/VT/MI/MN/WA, get a more expensive enhanced driver's license.
drawback - don't lose it or you can't rent a car on a trip

a2. in a few states, an enhanced DL or yet to be (or just recently) issued new DL is needed. - small
drawback - additional costs, especially if current DL is not expiring now. Also need to not lose if renting a car.

b. passport - big, if you lose it, you can still use your driver's license to rent a car. Large size may cause wear and damage to your passport.

c. passport card - additional cost but small, don't need to rent a car so lost is not a problem with car rental companies

d. Global Entry, Sentri, or Nexus - small, don't need to rent a car so lost is not a problem
drawback - is currently unfamiliar at some airports. I tried and the screener had to close the lane and ask a supervisor if the card was acceptable.

----
I can't figure out what to do. I think it's
1st choice. use your DL if Real ID compliant
2nd choice. use your Global Entry, Sentri, or Nexus if don't have Real ID compliant DL
3rd choice: use passport
4th choice: if DL is not Real ID compliant, buy a new DL that is (or in a few states, buy the Real ID compliant DL)
5th choice: buy a passport card
Toshbaf is offline  
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:02 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,071
Passport card. It's good to have an additional photo ID anyway, and this is cheap and easy if requested with your passport renewal. I *like* the fact that the passport card does not show your home address.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 7:05 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FRA
Posts: 227
For me, as much redundancy as possible would be good. I have a passport, passport card and DL. I would likely get an enhanced license if it were offered, and of course if I needed GE or somethings similar, I would get it. I would also try to stagger the passport and passport card applications to ensure a valid passport when one or the other expires, instead of having both expire on the same date.

I keep my passport card and DL in my wallet, and my passport is at home. With an enhanced DL, I'm not sure whether I'd carry the passport card. I show the passport card everywhere I can at the moment.
cafeconleche is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:01 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 24,575
Passport card. It doesn't list your address which could be used by TSA employees to target your home.
STBCypriot likes this.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
d. Global Entry, Sentri, or Nexus - small, don't need to rent a car so lost is not a problem
drawback - is currently unfamiliar at some airports. I tried and the screener had to close the lane and ask a supervisor if the card was acceptable.
Is this really still happening much? The only id I ever use at the airport is my Nexus card, and I've never had anyone (from check-in agents to TSA) question it being a valid id.
cardsqc is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:10 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,526
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
In October 2020, Real ID compliant identification must be shown at airports in the US. What is the best to carry?

a. driver's license - small, no additional costs (disclaimer: some states are just starting to or haven't yet issued Real ID compliant driver's licenses. This may cause people to have non-compliant ID unless they get a new driver's license or, if in NY/VT/MI/MN/WA, get a more expensive enhanced driver's license.
drawback - don't lose it or you can't rent a car on a trip

a2. in a few states, an enhanced DL or yet to be (or just recently) issued new DL is needed. - small
drawback - additional costs, especially if current DL is not expiring now. Also need to not lose if renting a car.

b. passport - big, if you lose it, you can still use your driver's license to rent a car. Large size may cause wear and damage to your passport.

c. passport card - additional cost but small, don't need to rent a car so lost is not a problem with car rental companies

d. Global Entry, Sentri, or Nexus - small, don't need to rent a car so lost is not a problem
drawback - is currently unfamiliar at some airports. I tried and the screener had to close the lane and ask a supervisor if the card was acceptable.

----
I can't figure out what to do. I think it's
1st choice. use your DL if Real ID compliant
2nd choice. use your Global Entry, Sentri, or Nexus if don't have Real ID compliant DL
3rd choice: use passport
4th choice: if DL is not Real ID compliant, buy a new DL that is (or in a few states, buy the Real ID compliant DL)
5th choice: buy a passport card
Dollars to donuts DHS blinks.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:45 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,224
Another vote here for the passport card. It's usefulness is not limited to transiting TSA checkpoints; I am not a frequent traveler as most FTers are, but I have found my passport card very useful in a number of other situations where I need a second form of photo ID - it's issued by the federal government, and is RealID compliant, so it's acceptable to all sorts of government agencies and private companies. And as several others have mentioned above, it doesn't have your home address on it, which is a plus to me. It's also wallet-size, and laminated as tough as a DL, so it'll take a beating and won't dissolve if it gets wet.
WillCAD is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 419
In order, my usual progression is:

PIV-II badge
Passport Card
GE card
DL

Unless I'm traveling overseas, then it's the Passport Book.
RandomNobody is offline  
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:45 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,071
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Another vote here for the passport card. It's usefulness is not limited to transiting TSA checkpoints; I am not a frequent traveler as most FTers are, but I have found my passport card very useful in a number of other situations where I need a second form of photo ID - it's issued by the federal government, and is RealID compliant, so it's acceptable to all sorts of government agencies and private companies. And as several others have mentioned above, it doesn't have your home address on it, which is a plus to me. It's also wallet-size, and laminated as tough as a DL, so it'll take a beating and won't dissolve if it gets wet.
I use my passport card not only for TSA, in airport lounges, and to prove I'm old enough to drink alcohol, but also for domestic hotel check in and to carry with me in the hotel if I think there's a chance of my keycard not working (for example, when I have a late checkout or multiple sequential reservations) and as an ID to have on my person in places (such as Rio) where I don't carry my wallet or passport, etc. In addition, I've used the passport card as my ID when paying by credit card in Buenos Aires grocery stores, etc. It's very useful and probably the least inconvenient form of ID to lose.

However, IIRC it's cheaper to renew the passport and passport card at the same time and since the passport card (essentially) cannot be used for international travel, I wouldn't arrange for the passport and passport card to expire at different times. I tend to renew both very quickly at my local passport office, which can be done even faster if you have proof of immediate travel or travel which requires visa applications.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 22, 19, 1:39 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,268
This presumes that there ever comes a day when a non-compliant DL really is unacceptable for travel (let's just pretend), I would still travel with the DL because I always carry it. I also have a passport book, passport card, and GE card. I travel with the passport card and have the passport book (& GE as backup) for international.

It is always good to have a secondary piece of IDand the passport card only costs $25 above the passport book fee.

But, this is nothing to worry about yet.
KŲnig likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:47 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 1,845
If I had it all do over again I would opt for the passport card. Got a case of the cheaps a couple of years ago when we renewed our passports and decided not to spend the money. At the time both my wife and I had an active DoD ID, driverís licenses, and passports so I didnít see the need. I have since retired and while wife is still with DoD and has that ID card I donít. That said I still have my passport and driverís license, which is compliant and acceptable, so itís not like I donít have sufficient identification. Quite frankly I donít share the concern that a TSA agent is going to memorize my address off my driverís license and be involved in some theft ring that is going to break into my house while Iím gone. If that happens it more likely would involve airline personnel than TSA.
gfunkdave, 84fiero, KŲnig and 1 others like this.
Randyk47 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 19, 10:22 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,404
I have no intention of getting REAL ID, since I don't like the feds sticking their nose into local matters like driver's licenses. The rationale behind the REAL ID Act (9/11 terrorists having multiple IDs from different states) is also long irrelevant.

I will use my passport book when traveling internationally and passport card or GE card when traveling domestically.

This is assuming that the deadline doesn't get extended again, for the 8th time or whatever they are on. October 1, 2020 is the month before a presidential and congressional election. I doubt the administration will want to upset the public at that time. Chaos at airports got Trump to end the shutdown, so I doubt he will want chaos at airports right before he is up for re-election.

I assume TSA will still allow people to board without acceptable ID after going through extra screening and identity verification through credit databases, just as they do today, so that should address the constitutional issues.
84fiero and petaluma1 like this.
cbn42 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:02 am
  #13  
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,291
I signed up for a 3 month trial CLEAR (free!) membership. I was flying on DL JFK-ZRH (out of T4 which has clear). Once I cleared CLEAR I bypassed the TSA P/C agent and went straight to the security line. So CLEAR (though expensive if you don't have any discounts) is another option..
nrr is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 9:38 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 37,265
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
If I had it all do over again I would opt for the passport card. Got a case of the cheaps a couple of years ago when we renewed our passports and decided not to spend the money. At the time both my wife and I had an active DoD ID, driver’s licenses, and passports so I didn’t see the need. I have since retired and while wife is still with DoD and has that ID card I don’t. That said I still have my passport and driver’s license, which is compliant and acceptable, so it’s not like I don’t have sufficient identification. Quite frankly I don’t share the concern that a TSA agent is going to memorize my address off my driver’s license and be involved in some theft ring that is going to break into my house while I’m gone. If that happens it more likely would involve airline personnel than TSA.

TSA has taken copies of my DL three times: once when they confiscated my nitroglycerine pills and I protested and it ended up with a suit coming out and ordering copies of my ID and BP for a 'report'.

The second time, I was following the advice of a TSO who posted on here. I had a copy of her PM with me. It went badly, they took the copy of her PM and copies of my BP and DL.

The last time, a TSO hurt me badly during a blue-gloved hands-on exercise and I cried out involuntarily. Without going into it, I asked for the police to come and witness the second full-body exercise to protect myself. My bags were out of sight, of course. I turned around just in time to see another TSO putting my BP and ID back in my bag and holding the copies he had just made in his hand. No one said anything about a 'report' on that occasion, but I'm sure there was one because I asked for the police.

(note: I always lock my BP and ID in my carry-on post-ID check now. If anyone is opening my bag for any reason, they're going to have to deal with a lock. It's the only way I can guarantee they'll do it in front of me).

I don't like anyone having my personal information unless I choose to give it to them. There's no doubt in my mind that if I had been using a passport or passport card, that is the document they would have copied. Proof of home address isn't required to fly - yet.
KRSW and petaluma1 like this.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 29, 19 at 10:07 pm
chollie is online now  
Old Jan 30, 19, 2:34 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 37,265
Does anyone know if the NEXUS cards are RealID compliant?
chollie is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread