Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I assume you're joking. If not, I'll point out that Chase doesn't have the resources to bypass its automated approval system for "all" applications -- or even a significant fraction thereof.
My mistake, I just have never not gotten instant approval on probably 15 personal apps the past 10 years. It showed up the next day in my account with the highest limit on a personal card I've gotten, so I guess they were verifying my identity (i.e. address) a la the business card application process?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:34 am
RNE

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
My mistake, I just have never not gotten instant approval on probably 15 personal apps the past 10 years. It showed up the next day in my account with the highest limit on a personal card I've gotten, so I guess they were verifying my identity (i.e. address) a la the business card application process?
I've had about the same number of apps in the same time as you, and a few have gone pending. As you suggest, it was to verify information and/or move around credit line. Hopefully that's all it is in your case.

RNE, acknowledging that "pending" may be more commonplace as anecdotes suggest Chase is becoming more stringent on its issuance of credit cards.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:57 pm

Just a data point, hopefully helpful. Applied for Chase SW Premier. Got "under review" message. Read advice in wiki and decided not to call. Checked automated line regularly but always same message that it was under review. After 8 days couldn't take it any more. I knew the advice was to wait but calling has worked well for me in past even though I did see the notes saying the CSRs are not as helpful as they used to be, etc. Called and got CSR, verified my identity, put me on hold while he checked on the status. Came back 3 minutes later and said everything approved. Didn't answer any questions at all. So sometimes still ok to call maybe? Anyway, like I say, just wanted to share a data point.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by d.s. knight
Just a data point, hopefully helpful. Applied for Chase SW Premier. Got "under review" message. Read advice in wiki and decided not to call. Checked automated line regularly but always same message that it was under review. After 8 days couldn't take it any more. I knew the advice was to wait but calling has worked well for me in past even though I did see the notes saying the CSRs are not as helpful as they used to be, etc. Called and got CSR, verified my identity, put me on hold while he checked on the status. Came back 3 minutes later and said everything approved. Didn't answer any questions at all. So sometimes still ok to call maybe? Anyway, like I say, just wanted to share a data point.

Personal cards are ok to call, sole Proprietor or other "business" startups can lead to a lot of questions and proof of income, etc, etc
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by d.s. knight
So sometimes still ok to call maybe?
I agree with flyer. It's always ok to call regarding a personal app. For business apps, only call as a last resort.

I have modified the wiki to reflect this.
d.s. knight likes this.

Last edited by pallhedge; Sep 12, 2020 at 8:08 am Reason: Added wiki change notice
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week I helped my neighbor on the Freedom Unlimited. She got pending message. This is her first Chase card and probably her only new card in 3 years (long credit history but thin file). I told her to wait thru the weekend and if by Tue still no email, then called. She has an insurance bill coming up and it is more than meet the $500 spend required, so we dont want to wait too long. Thankfully she got the approval email on Monday with a 11K CL.
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
So got declined from WOH card, pulled both EX and TU, letter said 800+ FICO from TU. Currently at 1/24.

These are the reasons given:
- Too many installment loans other than mortgage, automobile or student loans
- Amount owned on installment loans

So I guess they count business loans and refinance loans now for 5/24? I have four opened during the past 9 months but paid off two of them for lower rate.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I used to get a lot of instant approvals from a lot of banks. Then I changed to a UPS Store mailing address with a complex address format "1234 Somereallylongname Street Suite 123-456", which every bank reports a little differently (some leave out the hyphen, some abbreviate different parts of the address -- some including abbreviating the really long street name), and soon after I did that, I pretty much stopped getting instant approvals. I look at my full credit report (such as at annualcreditreport.com) and I see loads of different addresses listed for me, which are all just tiny variations of the same address). It didn't result in me getting less approvals, just less instant approvals.

So you may want to look at your full credit reports and see if there's something (multiple forms of the same address, or multiple forms of some other piece of information) that might explain why banks' computers might have a hard time approving you, but a human can figure it out in an instant.

I put the same round number of income (rounded slightly down so as not to ever be overstating it) on every application, rather than updating it to the real number which changes a little bit every year, so as to not have 5 zillion different annual income entries on my credit report, but that's not enough as long as everyone formats my address differently.
tstauck likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by neutralist
So got declined from WOH card, pulled both EX and TU, letter said 800+ FICO from TU. Currently at 1/24.

These are the reasons given:
- Too many installment loans other than mortgage, automobile or student loans
- Amount owned on installment loans

So I guess they count business loans and refinance loans now for 5/24? I have four opened during the past 9 months but paid off two of them for lower rate.
Doubtful. More likely is that Chase has decided your outstanding installment loan debt creates a riskier credit profile than Chase cares to oblige with a new line of credit.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:20 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Is the 5/24 for all credit cards or just Chase cards applied for in the previous 24 months?

Does it include biz cards like Chase Biz Unlimited or Chase Biz Explorer?

Or not Chase biz cards like the Citi Biz AA Platinum?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:33 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I used to get a lot of instant approvals from a lot of banks. Then I changed to a UPS Store mailing address...
Assuming you don't reside in a little box at the UPS store, does Chase have the address of your physical residence?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by exp
Is the 5/24 for all credit cards or just Chase cards applied for in the previous 24 months?

All new personal cards opened, regardless of bank. It's has nothing to do with cards "applied for".

Historically, business cards have not counted since they don't generally show up on your credit report (with a couple of exceptions.)
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Assuming you don't reside in a little box at the UPS store, does Chase have the address of your physical residence?
No, I don't think they do.

I got the UPS Store box before I moved to my latest apartment, and back then I just used for packages and stuff like that, but when I moved to my current apartment and saw how tiny and unsecure the mailbox is (and given that I'm out of town at least 3 nights in a row every week), I moved my address for almost everything (including all banks) to the UPS Store, and only a very small number of banks (not Chase that I recall) have asked for my physical address since.

I even have that UPS Store box address with DMV, and thus on both my drivers license and my car registration. (I remember once the DMV had to mail me a replacement set of license plates, and at my new apartment if they did that that would probably vanish before I got home. My new apartment's mailbox is too small for anything like that, so "oversize" stuff like that just get thrown into a general bin under the mailboxes .)

That's the problem when companies/organizations don't allow you to provide a mailing address separate from your home address. If you home address mailbox is not secure, then you have to provide only your secure mailing address which in my case cannot be my home address.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 13, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp

Chase computes 5/24 by scouring both the open card accounts and closed card accounts on your credit report, and looking for any that have an "opened on" date in the previous 24 months, and counting those. It's that simple.

So look at your own credit report (for free at Credit Karma among other places) and do the same count, and you'll have the count that Chase gets.

If a business card (from Cap One or Discover, for example) shows up on your credit reports, it gets counted. If a business card doesn't show up on your credit reports, it doesn't counted.

The only business cards they could possibly count that aren't on the credit report are their own Chase cards, but up to now they don't seem to have generally done that (at least not for automatically processed applications).

AU (Authorized User) accounts that show up on your credit report are not supposed to be counted, but often they are counted in the first pass, and you may have to call their attention to that and get them to redo the count with those omitted.
tstauck likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch

So look at your own credit report (for free at Credit Karma among other places) and do the same count, and you'll have the count that Chase gets.
Does a credit report show business cards for a sole proprietorship?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.