Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
thank you! Any idea how long I should wait?
Also being a newb for UR points, does 20,000 UR points still convert to $200 redemption?
If Flex were you only card that earned UR points you could redeem them for $0.01 each. Diplomatico, has explained that they could be worth more if you also hold a Sapphire Preferred or Reserve card, and you combine the points, and redeem them in a specific way.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Thanks you two! How long should I wait before I try to apply again? I don’t have UR cards with chase - they’re co branded cards. I would like to ditch the final UAL card (no AF) but feel that I should try to switch some of that excessive credit limit to another card despite not needing it. Hard to know.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Thanks you two! How long should I wait before I try to apply again? .
In order for you or others to determine that, you need to list out every credit card you obtained since October 1, 2018 (with dates), that will help address the Chase 5/24 rule. We do not know what Chase decided to be maximum credit line for you, but you have credit lines that you don't use, proactively reducing some of them will not hurt.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:49 am
RNE

Hi all, I was denied the freedom flex (which had $200 free money) because “too many Chase cards opened in last 2 years”
Don't wait.
  1. Determine exactly what cards you have opened in the last 24 months and on what dates. Keep a record of this (and do so ongoing) so you'll always know your 5/24 status.
  2. Armed with that knowledge, call Chase and politely discuss your denied application. There may be an error on your credit report. Or perhaps you're an authorized user on someone else's card. It never hurts to find out what Chase is seeing and ensure it jibes with reality.
Good luck.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:59 pm

I need some advice on my current situation.

Chase Amazon Prime Visa (open April 2017)
Apple Card (open April of this year)

Most of my past spending has been on the Costco Citi, and wanted to give Chase and their UR a try. So here's what I did a weeks ago

Instant approve for Chase Freedom Unlimited 10/4/2020 $21K limit
Instant approve for Chase Sapphire Preferred 10/6/2020 $15K limit

I was dumb and pushed my luck 2 days ago ( I didn't know about 2/30 rule) and apply for the Flex and got denied for "Too many request credit or open account with us" I called the consideration line to see when i should try again and they didn't get me an answer, and just mention why I was denied which is the exact same reason the letter states. In the letter the Equilfax said my score is 882 and my available credit is $70K with about a 2% credit usage (I spend about $4K-$5K a month and pay it off 2 times a month). Any idea when I should try again? or just forget about it for awhile and just have my wife apply for the Flex (she has 0 CC in her name), along with getting a card in my name, and combined the UR later. I don't want to keep pushing my luck and get everything shutdown.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I haven't looked through this thread so I'm not sure if my situation is unique. I have been denied in the past for Chase cards because of 5/24 and still should have been, however, I tried applying on a whim to see if they were more lenient due to COVID. I was just instantly approved for the Sapphire Reserve and given the Freedom Unlimited 24 hours after applying, bringing me to 4 Chase cards. One of those is the Amazon Prime card which I am putting heavy spend on due to the 4% promo so I'm not sure how/if this factored in.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:25 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I have been denied in the past for Chase cards because of 5/24 and still should have been, however, I tried applying on a whim to see if they were more lenient due to COVID. I was just instantly approved for the Sapphire Reserve and given the Freedom Unlimited 24 hours after applying, bringing me to 4 Chase cards. .
The banks are definitely not more lenient due to Covid. They are being more strict, in fact, due to massive financial distress across the nation. Congrats on your 2 new Chase cards!
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:31 am

Applied for Chase IHG Premier and rejected for "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us." I'm under 5/24 and have 5 personal Chase cards, 1 business. Had second reconsideration call today, and was denied for too little use of existing Chase cards and too many existing Chase accounts. I suggested moving CL, but the rep mentioned that he had to get a first-step approval before considering that as an option to push the app through. Does this sound like a "hard" denial similar to the 5/24 one that can't be overriden, or should I try my luck again in a few days? Should I small regular spend on my other accounts?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Silver02ex
I need some advice on my current situation.

...I spend about $4K-$5K a month and pay it off 2 times a month...
Since you asked for advice, I have some. To wit, stop cycling your credit line. It can prompt Chase to shut you down. Learn more here. https://thepointsguy.com/news/dont-l...tern-bite-you/
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:02 am
mia

Originally Posted by Silver02ex
I spend about $4K-$5K a month and pay it off 2 times a month
Originally Posted by RNE
.... stop cycling your credit line.
Paying early is not cycling, unless it causes you to spend more than the credit limit in a billing cycle.
sds1493, pallhedge and EdofFX like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Sorry if the answer is buried in here somewhere, but I couldn't find it with search. I opened a CSR card back in September 2016, earned the signup bonus, and then closed the card in 2017. Now I'm interested in the 80k CSP bonus but am aware of the 48 month rule. Is there a way to determine when exactly I received the CSR new cardmember bonus? Even though I have the old account number Chase claims they can't help. Put differently, is there any way to "preclear" that I'm eligible for the CSP bonus before applying?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by BookerNYC
....Chase claims they can't help...
The original bonus spend requirement for Sapphire Reserve was $4,000 in 90 days. Can you look at your bank records from the fourth quarter of 2016 to estimate the spending on the card?

If you are not eligible for the bonus the application will be declined. You will not have "opened" another account.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BookerNYC
Sorry if the answer is buried in here somewhere, but I couldn't find it with search. I opened a CSR card back in September 2016, earned the signup bonus, and then closed the card in 2017. Now I'm interested in the 80k CSP bonus but am aware of the 48 month rule. Is there a way to determine when exactly I received the CSR new cardmember bonus? Even though I have the old account number Chase claims they can't help. Put differently, is there any way to "preclear" that I'm eligible for the CSP bonus before applying?
Apply over the phone and tell them you don't remember the date you received the CSR bonus. I'd wait til Dec or Jan. You could have received the bonus as early as Oct or as late as Jan. That's why I suggest waiting. (My bolding).
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Since one early statement will say "New cardmember bonus", the following may be of interest to you.

Retrieving Old Chase Online Statements
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:36 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
Paying early is not cycling, unless it causes you to spend more than the credit limit in a billing cycle.
Who's talking about paying early? He said he pays it off 2 times a month. To me, that suggests cycling. I thoughtfully cautioned him about it in case that was what he was doing.

RNE, concluding that no good deed goes unpunished.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.