Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread continues discussion which started here in 2010: JP Morgan Palladium Card

Temporary COVID-19 rewards are documented here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...asehome_3/hero

JP Morgan Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0512_Web.pdf

JP Morgan Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/jpmreserve2

JP Morgan Reserve card features are found here
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/jpmreserve/travel

Print Wikipost

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
I simply do not understand the allure (or even value) of the JPMR card. It's a rebranded CSR w/undocumented United Club membership. It's not even remotely playing in the same league as the Amex Cent card.

Regards
Speaking from my perspective:

Allure: 100k UR points after 4k spend got my attention

Value: $150AF effective or (0 for me so far) for a $430 PP and $600 UC (documented if you ask for PDF) for a 3x dining and 3x travel card with primary CDW and the best travel protection benefits suite has made this instantly my top card for the past 2 years. I would say 70% of my spend goes on JPMR. But your value YMMV.

Trying to compare the perks of a $450 card to a $2500+$7500 card is simply laughable and not sure where you even find them comparable. They are different in every possible way their only similarity is that they are invitation products.

Ironically on a value perspective, the JPMR blows the Centurion out of the water. Realistically I value the Centurion at around $800-$1000. The primary benefit of that card (at least for me) is Delta Platinum and Hilton Diamond. With the Business Plat Pay with points rebate of 35% and Personal Plat 5x on airfare. The Centurion is basically obsolete in my wallet. I literally charged 4 figures the entire 2018 on that card. And with Hilton Aspire, the Diamond benefit of the Centurion is null. My Japan Amex Delta Gold for $250 a year offers me Gold medallion. And I see no tangible difference between Gold and Platinum. Both are SkyTeam ElitePlus, higher priority on upgrade list that again is not relevant for my frequent international itineraries.

If anything I find my Centurion to be offensive and contradictory to everything I do as a travel savvy millennial. It’s a card that I pay more in fees than ALL of my other cards combined. I get value from it that is niche and not outsized in any way (like a tasting menu at the HK lounge and random gifts and crap I don’t care about), and year after year I let Amex rip me off but yet I will never cancel the card because I probably will never have the chance to get it again. So yeah on a value perspective it comes pretty low.

Last edited by cce5858; Jan 1, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I simply do not understand the allure (or even value) of the JPMR card. It's a rebranded CSR w/undocumented United Club membership. It's not even remotely playing in the same league as the Amex Cent card.
Easy. If you are a UA flyer at UA hub the JPMR provides more value than any other. See Value below. Chase offers much better travel insurance (including $100k medevac) so I'd rather get 3x Chase UR on JPMR than 5x Amex.

Originally Posted by cce5858

Speaking from my perspective:

Allure: 100k UR points after 4k spend got my attention

Value: $150AF effective or (0 for me so far) for a $430 PP and $600 UC (documented if you ask for PDF) for a 3x dining and 3x travel card with primary CDW and the best travel protection benefits suite has made this instantly my top card for the past 2 years. I would say 70% of my spend goes on JPMR. But your value YMMV.

Trying to compare the perks of a $450 card to a $2500+$7500 card is simply laughable and not sure where you even find them comparable. They are different in every possible way their only similarity is that they are invitation products.

Ironically on a value perspective, the JPMR blows the Centurion out of the water. Realistically I value the Centurion at around $800-$1000. The primary benefit of that card (at least for me) is Delta Platinum and Hilton Diamond. With the Business Plat Pay with points rebate of 35% and Personal Plat 5x on airfare. The Centurion is basically obsolete in my wallet. I literally charged 4 figures the entire 2018 on that card. And with Hilton Aspire, the Diamond benefit of the Centurion is null. My Japan Amex Delta Gold for $250 a year offers me Gold medallion. And I see no tangible difference between Gold and Platinum. Both are SkyTeam ElitePlus, higher priority on upgrade list that again is not relevant for my frequent international itineraries.

If anything I find my Centurion to be offensive and contradictory to everything I do as a travel savvy millennial. It’s a card that I pay more in fees than ALL of my other cards combined. I get value from it that is niche and not outsized in any way (like a tasting menu at the HK lounge and random gifts and crap I don’t care about), and year after year I let Amex rip me off but yet I will never cancel the card because I probably will never have the chance to get it again. So yeah on a value perspective it comes pretty low.
I'm not a millennial but I'd have to agree with that. The Amex cards have almost zero value to me as I don't fly DL and rarely stay at Hilton. No interest in random events and crap. For me the only thing I want that Amex offers are the Amex airport lounges and maybe the Island lounges (specifically OAK). However at SFO I now have PP free restaurant options in T3 that offer much better menus (and no overcrowding), and UC or PP clubs pretty much everywhere else I fly. I will probably keep the Amex Marriott fka SPG Luxury card for the free night and potentially useful 15 EQN but otherwise sits in the sock drawer.

Best Amex product used to be the old Amex SPG card, but that was destroyed by August devaluation.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Still think it is hard to beat the Cent Hertz President where they have your car at curbside waiting for you. Also the Swiss looses some perks but get VIP treatment at ZUR
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zurick
I just got offered the JP Reserve card> Several questions. I understand it no longer is made of palladium only simple plastic. Also Ihave the AmEx Centurian and it appears not to offer as many perks.(esp vip airport, platinum hertz, etc
the card is still made out of the same material as the palladium card. IMHO amex centurion is a terrible product if you value travel rewards. Moreover, Amex Centurion is designed for big spenders regardless of whether they have significant assets.

the JPM Reserve card is a good value especially if you get the SUB and can use the United Club benefit. Even if invited I don't see how the 10k first year for the Amex Centurion card offers any value other than showing off
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist

Regards
it is a better value that amex cennturion card and a better value than the CSR. Few people3 would claim JPM Reserve is meant to compete with Amex Centruion. The chase product is for people with money the amex cent is for people who spend money.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Zurick
S....the Swiss....
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
..... IMHO amex centurion is a terrible product if you value travel rewards. ....
Note that Zurick's Centurion card is issued in Switzerland, with different costs, benefits and rewards than the more familiar USA version.

Reserve is inexpensive enough that I would certainly try it for a year, but without Chip & PIN it could prove inconvenient for someone based in Europe.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:29 am

Law firm group still exists at JP Morgan Private Bank. The aforementioned family friend is an associate at one of those firms.

Never had Palladium, but the Reserve looks identical based on pics. The Palladium was just plated with Palladium. Maybe the Reserve is still plated with Palladium who knows. It still mostly made of brass and coated with some sort of varnish. Certainly no plastic in this card. Centurion is made of this really hard titanium but is like half the weight and sounds like a cheap tin.

Assuming you have the US Centurion yes the airport VIP lounges are probably the most of any card in the world. JPMR has Priority Pass and United Club. Centurion has PP, Delta SkyClub, Centurion lounges, Airspace/Escape lounges, and all SkyTeam lounges when flying SkyTeam (Show your Delta Platinum Medallion credential). Regarding car rental status I don’t rent cars, but I think they are more or less identical with Avis and National, but the Centurion offers Hertz 5 star presidential, which apparently gives you car upgrades. If you are looking at perks it’s hard to beat the Amex with its tons of status benefits, but honestly I find the Centurion to be more and more of a card that I never use, with the exception of occasional restaurant bookings and airport arrival assistance.
interesting, thought it was discontinued. That's how I got it as well years ago.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Assuming you have the US Centurion yes the airport VIP lounges are probably the most of any card in the world. JPMR has Priority Pass and United Club. Centurion has PP, Delta SkyClub, Centurion lounges, Airspace/Escape lounges, and all SkyTeam lounges when flying SkyTeam (Show your Delta Platinum Medallion credential).
Which Priority Pass do each of these cards offer? The real one, or the restricted "Select" version?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Which Priority Pass do each of these cards offer? The real one, or the restricted "Select" version?
JPMR, Amex Plat, and Amex Centurion in the US all offer Priority Pass Select, with unlimited member visits and 2 guests per visit. My old Japan Centurion, which I card transfered to the US Centurion offered a Priority Pass without the “Select”, and was the Prestige. Keep in mind this “Select” is much better than the “Real” US$430 Priority Pass Prestige, which charges $32 for each guest. The only PP better than all these is the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card PP which offers unlimited visits and unlimited guests.

@mia, silly question but how do I turn off notifications for each post? Been getting a ton of emails from FlyerTalk even if not responding to me...lol.

Oh and Mia, all Chase/JPM cards are chip and pin. Set up your cash advance pin and use it. I was in London and used it on the underground, Tesco, and small stores with the finicky izettle readers. Punched in cash advance pin when prompted and charges all went through as purchases no issue. This has worked on my IHG (MasterCard) and JPMR and Ritz (Visa). Same with Centurion. You have to set up Express Cash and link it to a checking account and you are issued a PIN. It works the same way and charges go through as purchases.

Last edited by cce5858; Jan 4, 2019 at 8:08 am
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
A receipt.
Oh and Mia, all Chase/JPM cards are chip and pin. Set up your cash advance pin and use it. I was in London and used it on the underground, Tesco, and small stores with the finicky izettle readers. Punched in cash advance pin when prompted and charges all went through as purchases no issue. This has worked on my IHG (MasterCard) and JPMR and Ritz (Visa). Same with Centurion. You have to set up Express Cash and link it to a checking account and you are issued a PIN. It works the same way and charges go through as purchases.
JPMR is chip and signature. May be able to use in selective locations with pin, but most everywhere need to sign a receipt.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Do any of you see Chase Offers on the JPMR? I can see them on all of my personal cards and even my checking accounts (via debit cards?) but not JPMR. I called in to create a research ticket but wondered if anyone else here has the same issue.
cce5858 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP

JPMR, Amex Plat, and Amex Centurion in the US all offer Priority Pass Select, with unlimited member visits and 2 guests per visit. My old Japan Centurion, which I card transfered to the US Centurion offered a Priority Pass without the “Select”, and was the Prestige. Keep in mind this “Select” is much better than the “Real” US$430 Priority Pass Prestige, which charges $32 for each guest. The only PP better than all these is the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card PP which offers unlimited visits and unlimited guests.
The Ritz Card card is no longer offered and my last Priority pass was the regular PP. But the ritz card offered platinum status in all marriotts and 3 club upgrades / year ---which was a great bene for me
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:34 am
mia

..... Priority Pass without the “Select”, and was the Prestige. Keep in mind this “Select” is much better than the “Real” US$430 Priority....
Priority Pass has changed the meaning of their nomenclature. Originally, Select memberships excluded lounges operated by United and Copa Airlines. When those lounges left Priority Pass entirely, this exclusion became meaningless. Today Select means "sponsored by a USA based financial institution". It has no functional implication.

Prestige simply means that the membership includes an unlimited number of annual visits. Most memberships provided by American Express, Chase and Citi are Select -and- Prestige, with the added feature that the sponsoring bank absorbs some guest fees (with slight variation between them).

Additional discussion of this topic can be found in this thread...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...erve-ritz.html

and in the new Airline Lounges forum.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Do any of you see Chase Offers on the JPMR? I can see them on all of my personal cards and even my checking accounts (via debit cards?) but not JPMR. I called in to create a research ticket but wondered if anyone else here has the same issue.
What's Chase Offers??
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:20 am
mia

What's Chase Offers??
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ous-cards.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.