Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by runb4fun
I think he'll be stuck with Slate for 15 months. I don't think they PC until Slate promo ends.
Originally Posted by ifish110
My understanding is Chase won't PC cards anymore until a year has passed so you may have a Slate for a while.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll pass on that.
The automated update line now says 7-10 days
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:18 pm

honestly, just wait it out till like April-May and you might get "pre-selected" or whatever letter from chase. I think that increases chances of approval.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runb4fun
In other news, I went to the bank, applied for FU and basically got FU'ed with 7-10 message. I'm way past 5/24 and have good CC relationship with chase.
As pointed out in a recent post, 7-10 day message does not always mean denial. I'm not saying it doesn't in your case (I can't know, of course), but it's not certain any more.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:33 am

I can confirm I did a PC from Slate to FU after 1 year but before the promo ran out.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:02 pm

I was just told over the phone that I could PC my freedom which was opened 11/15 to unlimited .. I'm just unsure if I want to give up my freedom card
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

I have a slate i can PC.

I don't have much spend in general. I'm thinking it might be better to cancel my Amex EDP, keep the ED, and PC the Slate to this card. ( and keeping my regular Freedom as well ). hmmm....
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:20 pm

Yea I'm tempted to PC my freedom to freedom unlimited because I don't max out the categories besides amazon but i am still unsure of what i want to do .
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:59 pm

I applied and was approved for the FU this morning. I was just going to pick up the brochure, and apply when it comes online in 4/2016. But I couldn't wait

I was approved with only a $500 CL so I asked the branch to re-allocate my CL between my regular Freedom and Sapphire Preferred so it's $15k each now. Unfortunately, the new card won't be a Visa Signature because it was initially approved with only a $500 CL. The branch said they can change it to a Signature, but I'd forfeit my sign up bonus because it'd require an account change. I sent a SM to Chase when I got home to see if there's anything they can do. Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by joxxie
Yea I'm tempted to PC my freedom to freedom unlimited because I don't max out the categories besides amazon but i am still unsure of what i want to do .
It becomes a calculation. How much unbonused spend do you put on your freedom today or plan to put on it (would the unlimited replace another "everyday" card?)

Then see if the multiplier is worth more than the bonus you've made in the last year with your freedom.

I know personally I cleaned up on freedoms Amazon 5x and then amazingly generous 10x bonus. This year I am going to max out the local commuter transport (tons of cabs and ubers for work) and restaurants (client dinners) and the bonus on those two categories would be more than the bonus I get on freedom unlimited for every day spend. Plus for me, everyday unbonused spend is spg Amex or diners club if a place doesn't take Amex (aka my dry cleaners). For me, the numbers say stick with my freedom and don't mess with my chase cards (which includes a Hyatt and CSP)

I also pay my rent with a credit card (appfolio), but I prefer to use that for making cc bonuses (especially since most good ms venues are gone) which is more profitable than 1.5x ur.

But, everyone's situation is different and you'll have to do the math to see if it works for you.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
It becomes a calculation. How much unbonused spend do you put on your freedom today or plan to put on it (would the unlimited replace another "everyday" card?)

Then see if the multiplier is worth more than the bonus you've made in the last year with your freedom.

I know personally I cleaned up on freedoms Amazon 5x and then amazingly generous 10x bonus. This year I am going to max out the local commuter transport (tons of cabs and ubers for work) and restaurants (client dinners) and the bonus on those two categories would be more than the bonus I get on freedom unlimited for every day spend. Plus for me, everyday unbonused spend is spg Amex or diners club if a place doesn't take Amex (aka my dry cleaners). For me, the numbers say stick with my freedom and don't mess with my chase cards (which includes a Hyatt and CSP)

I also pay my rent with a credit card (appfolio), but I prefer to use that for making cc bonuses (especially since most good ms venues are gone) which is more profitable than 1.5x ur.

But, everyone's situation is different and you'll have to do the math to see if it works for you.
For me, the comparison comes down to the 1.5 points per dollar from FU vs straight 2% cash back from Cap One Spark Cash Business. In some cases the 1.5 points will yield better value (transfer to partner programs), but my travel plans change all the time. The other difference is that FU is a personal and not a business card, so it should have more consumer protections. However, Spark has no FTF. Tough decision.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:51 am

If you don't max out every 5% category or even close, the Freedom Unlimited may come ahead assuming you'd be putting some "everyday" spend on the Freedom anyway.

For me, I don't have a Freedom, but my experience with Discover, which is a similar card, is that I don't even come close to the cap for the 5% most of the time. Gas is basically useless to me, as I buy it maybe twice a month at the most. Restaurants will be nice but as a single guy I'm not spending $500 a month on it. Amazon, again, is nice, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy stuff just to get 5% off, which I've seen plenty of people do.

The point is that if the categories aren't something you max out (naturally or on purpose), the FU may be better in the long term, especially since the categories aren't guaranteed and often get weaker/narrower over time (has happened to a degree with Freedom and Discover).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by kdm31091
If you don't max out every 5% category or even close, the Freedom Unlimited may come ahead assuming you'd be putting some "everyday" spend on the Freedom anyway.

For me, I don't have a Freedom, but my experience with Discover, which is a similar card, is that I don't even come close to the cap for the 5% most of the time. Gas is basically useless to me, as I buy it maybe twice a month at the most. Restaurants will be nice but as a single guy I'm not spending $500 a month on it. Amazon, again, is nice, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy stuff just to get 5% off, which I've seen plenty of people do.

The point is that if the categories aren't something you max out (naturally or on purpose), the FU may be better in the long term, especially since the categories aren't guaranteed and often get weaker/narrower over time (has happened to a degree with Freedom and Discover).
The only thing I haven't seen is does the FU have a sign up bonus? I may have missed it because I only come in here every 2-3 days.
If no, then the FC in the short term gives you more and after 1 year you can switch to the FU card. Also you could get the FC now and wait and see if the FU offers a bonus after a few months months. If they don't the worse part is you have both.
Also I did max out on Amazon last year. Only because I was going to buy it anyway and getting home delivery was a plus. So I think there's room for both.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
The only thing I haven't seen is does the FU have a sign up bonus? I may have missed it because I only come in here every 2-3 days.
If no, then the FC in the short term gives you more and after 1 year you can switch to the FU card. Also you could get the FC now and wait and see if the FU offers a bonus after a few months months. If they don't the worse part is you have both.
Also I did max out on Amazon last year. Only because I was going to buy it anyway and getting home delivery was a plus. So I think there's room for both.
You can always convert a card to FU now, and then later on, if FU is offering a sign-up bonus, apply for it and have another card.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
As pointed out in a recent post, 7-10 day message does not always mean denial. I'm not saying it doesn't in your case (I can't know, of course), but it's not certain any more.
Yes, yes, of course but granted I'm past 5/24 and I got the message I did, I think it is a fair to say I got denied.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
the FU is $150 after 500 spend

The only category i ever max out is the amazon one

Last edited by mia; Mar 18, 2016 at 3:19 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.