Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runb4fun
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is NO but i'm gonna ask anyway:

is there any co-branded chase card that can be converted to freedom, slate, or sapphire?
There has been at least one way up to now: Freedom has been the card Chase converts you to anytime another card (including a partner card) disappears (at least for no-AF cards). I got my Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards card replaced with a Freedom last fall when Amtrak dropped Chase.

(I also almost got a Freedom years ago when my Chase Rewards Plus card was discontinued. But in that case I cancelled before it got auto-converted.)

But of course, it requires figuring out what card that you can still apply for is likely to disappear soon enough.

And it requires that Chase continue making the current Freedom the default auto-conversion card. If they make Freedom Unlimited the auto-conversion card, then that would make the current Freedom no longer possible to get that way.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:29 am

Does the FU have FTF?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There has been at least one way up to now: Freedom has been the card Chase converts you to anytime another card (including a partner card) disappears (at least for no-AF cards). I got my Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards card replaced with a Freedom last fall when Amtrak dropped Chase.

(I also almost got a Freedom years ago when my Chase Rewards Plus card was discontinued. But in that case I cancelled before it got auto-converted.)

But of course, it requires figuring out what card that you can still apply for is likely to disappear soon enough.

And it requires that Chase continue making the current Freedom the default auto-conversion card. If they make Freedom Unlimited the auto-conversion card, then that would make the current Freedom no longer possible to get that way.
ohhh, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I doubt AARP is going to be leaving chase anytime soon...I wanted to convert that to Freedom.

I currently have CSP + Freedom + Ink + and I wanted to add FU to the mix as well. I would prefer to keep CSP and downgrade Ink + but it looks like I'm headed towards downgrading CSP and keeping Plus.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun
ohhh, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I doubt AARP is going to be leaving chase anytime soon...I wanted to convert that to Freedom.

I currently have CSP + Freedom + Ink + and I wanted to add FU to the mix as well. I would prefer to keep CSP and downgrade Ink + but it looks like I'm headed towards downgrading CSP and keeping Plus.
Except for specific situations like when Costco and Amex parted ways and it was well documented, most cards just quietly disappear. It's pretty much impossible to predict when or if it's going to happen to a certain product.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by steve4
I think this card would have been much more valuable if it offered a flat 2% cashback or 2 UR points per dollar. I currently use the Cap One Spark Cash Business card and get 2% back on everything with no annual fee. I used to have the Citi Double Cash card, but I cancelled it since I can redeem the cash anytime with Cap One instead of waiting for the rewards to reach $25 as with Double Cash.
2% is the magic number for card issuers to match or beat for most of us. Anything less is just interested, but not something that truly moves me to get it out of my wallet when making a purchase. When I need to make a large purchase that isn't in a bonus category I tend to always think "which card gives me 2% value for this purchase". So far, our Arrival is in my wallet at all times and I even willingly pay the annual fee (although I'll use points for that too). Although I admit we did close one of our two Arrivals since we didn't see a need to keep both after the portal cb for AGC died.

1.5% isn't bad. After all, we're talking about it instead of completely ignoring it. But, I'll always have my eye out for the next true competitor in the 2% unlimited-any-purchase realm.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Churnman
1.5% isn't bad.
Let's be careful not to conflate points with percentages.

This is a 1.5 points per dollar card. The percentage cash value depends on what else is in your wallet, and how you redeem.

If Freedom Unlimited is your only Ultimate Rewards card the points have a fixed value of $0.01/each. It's a 1.5% cash card, and not worth holding.

If you also hold Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus, Ink Bold, or JPM Select the points are worth a minimum of $0.0125 each if redeemed for paid travel, and it's a 1.875% cash card. Still not worth holding. However, if you transfer to airlines or hotels, and value those miles/points at $0.0133 or more, this is a 2%+ card.

If you hold JPM Palladium the points are worth $0.015 each if redeemed for paid travel, and it's a 2.25% card.

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2016 at 2:35 pm
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
So I know the 5/24 rule is counting new CC accounts (any bank) over the past 24 months. I only have three so I'm fine there... but any recent crackdown on Chase limiting the total number of accounts with them? I have four personal (SW Plus, SW Premier, Freedom, CSP) and one business (Ink Bold).
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by konems
but any recent crackdown on Chase limiting the total number of accounts with them? I have four personal (SW Plus, SW Premier, Freedom, CSP) and one business (Ink Bold).
nah, you'll be fine. i very recently got tons of chase cards.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by mia

This is a 1.5 points per dollar card. The percentage cash value depends on what else is in your wallet, and how you redeem.

If Freedom Unlimited is your only Ultimate Rewards card the points have a fixed value of $0.01/each. It's a 1.5% cash card, and not worth holding.

If you also hold Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus, Ink Bold, or JPM Select the points are worth a minimum of $0.0125 each if redeemed for paid travel, and it's a 1.875% cash card. Still not worth holding. However, if you transfer to airlines or hotels, and value those miles/points at $0.0133 or more, this is a 2%+ card.

If you hold JPM Palladium the points are worth $0.015 each if redeemed for paid travel, and it's a 2.25% card.
What do you consider to be the highest worth partner to transfer to from UR?
1. Best bang for point hotel transfer partner________
2. Best bang for point airline transfer partner________

At 1:1 transfer for these partners which partner's point is actually worth the most when redeemed? Obviously, Marriott would not be my first choice since it takes a lot of points for just one night at a high category hotel. If using a 2% card like Arrival it would take $40,000 in spend to get $800 toward that Marriott room which might get you 2 or 3 nights. It really depends on the partner's program. I currently have an Ink and Sapphire. Maybe this new 1.5 card could have a place in my wallet if I value transferring points to United, IHG or other.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Churnman
What do you consider to be the highest worth partner to transfer to from UR?
1. Best bang for point hotel transfer partner________
Hyatt.

Too many variables to choose an airline partner for another person, but (in general) it turns on whether you value the comforts and amenities of business or first class air travel. $0.0133 is a really low threshold, it could probably be achieved with any UR partner (except perhaps Southwest, I don't know the details of their program.)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:32 am
Suspended

Do you think the 1.5 UR FU will cannibalize the CPS 2 UR? The 2 UR for certain categories suddenly looks meager to me.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:38 am

This card definitely looks interesting. I value UR points more than any other point currency. Looks like we won't be getting the 5% rotating categories, but it's okay because I already have 2 Freedom cards and can convert one of them to the FU card.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia

Agree - needs to look at the whole equation.

Chase decides not to offer a straight up 2% cash rebate card to compete with Citi 1+1, Fido 2x, and cards like A+ or Venture, but wants to leverage the UR pts to make its 1.5% FU as competitive based on the analysis you posted above.

On top of that the FU while would cannibalize spend that goes to Chase cobranded hotel cards and the UA personal card as it is strictly 1:1 except for purchase made on UA, but it will keep the spend in Chase family versus spend might very well go to competitors' cards of similar nature.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:47 pm

i have freedom card and today i got approved for my spouse another freedom card. Will max out the bonus categories for gas and groceries and change it to Freedom UL card and plan to do MS on it . I dont have csp or ink + . After collecting enough points , ill try to open CSP for my spouse and then will transfer UR into it

I have hyatt and south west cards which just earns 1 point.

I value Hyat 2 cents per point and south west 1.4 points

So now 1.5 UR gives me 3 cents in hyatt spend and 2.2 cents for south west spend. i also have Southwest CP.

So freedom UL is going to be my Simon card.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by mia
Hyatt.

Too many variables to choose an airline partner for another person, but (in general) it turns on whether you value the comforts and amenities of business or first class air travel. $0.0133 is a really low threshold, it could probably be achieved with any UR partner (except perhaps Southwest, I don't know the details of their program.)
I find myself in the 1.6 to 1.8 range for Southwest in most cases. Also, if you have a companion pass, that doubles to 3+ easily (which I utilize to my hearts content right now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.