Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:21 pm

If one is to PC to a new CFU, would this count as a new opened account for purposes of 5/24 and if ever strictly enforced by Chase? In other words, if one planned to open up two cards next year (numbers 4 and 5) would the PC to CFU be considered a new account and prevent one from opening two cards next year if 5/24 was enforced?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojetz
If one is to PC to a new CFU, would this count as a new opened account for purposes of 5/24 and if ever strictly enforced by Chase? In other words, if one planned to open up two cards next year (numbers 4 and 5) would the PC to CFU be considered a new account and prevent one from opening two cards next year if 5/24 was enforced?
I don't think it should count as a new account since the history carries over from the old account. I just PC from CSP to CFU and the rep reiterated this. I also upgraded Ink Cash to Ink Plus so I'm transitioning to the Ink Plus CFU Combo.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why would you want to convert CF into CFU? Last time I checked 5x > 1.5x.
I had 2 freedoms which I only got to max out the amazon 4q bonus last year. So I converted one of them to CFU. Easy choice.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:28 pm

Just got back from the bank, instant approval with a 4k limit. I was under 5/24 so didn't have to worry about that. Didn't notice any marketing of CFU besides slotting it into the display on the banker's desk where CF card used to be, no advertisements upon entering the branch or anything. I asked about the original Freedom and he said that it would still be available in the future, but strictly online and not in a branch. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt here on FT but data point nonetheless. Having it rush delivered and keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here before I go out of town later in the week.

EDIT: Called Chase and reallocated the CL I had on my Slate (yeah, I know-it was pre-points and miles) to get me over the $5000 hump for a Visa Signature. In case it isn't already common knowledge (I didn't know before just now), the lady who helped me said that the lowest CL you can have on a Chase card is $500.

Last edited by rancaguino; Mar 14, 2016 at 5:07 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Hmm - I'm unsure what to do here. I definitely am in violation of 5/24 if it's being enforced so applying for this new doesn't seem to be an option. At the very least I'd like to keep my current CF through the next quarter since grocery store is one that I can easily max out but CFU is an appealing card to fill the "everything else" spend category since I think I have at least at 2x on every existing category that the various cards are willing to bonus (groceries, gas, travel, etc.).

I assume per-usual it won't be possible to PC from a co-brand card? I would love to wait until I get my Marriott annual free night and then PC that to this but I don't think such a move is likely to work.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Any word on the FTF for this card? Still 3%?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Any word on the FTF for this card? Still 3%?
Yes
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Colonel Heero
Looks like there is some hiccup in rolling it out. Local branch having trouble applying the card for me. The banker could see me pre-approved for a bunch of cards including the regular CF but CFU wasn't showing up on her screen. Printed material was right on her desk listing Slate, CFU and CSP side by side, but no where to be found in system. She called HQ and was told to re-try at the end of day.
Returned to branch today and successfully opened the card (with a whopping 25k CL). Can already see it added to my online profile. Requested it to be rushed so should get it in a couple days.

UR superfecta (tetrafecta?) completed!
CSP+CF+CFU+Ink Cash

Edited: I am sitting at 2/24, so no useful data point for you guys..

Last edited by Colonel Heero; Mar 15, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Hmm - I'm unsure what to do here. I definitely am in violation of 5/24 if it's being enforced so applying for this new doesn't seem to be an option.
Right now you have to apply for CFU in a branch.

And so far, I don't remember us ever finding out definitively whether applying in a branch is subject to 5/24 the same way applying online is.

Anyone successfully applied for CFU in a branch while being clearly over 5/24? Conversely, anyone who tried applying for CFU in a branch while being clearly over 5/24 denied for that reason?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
PC CSP

I have a few questions, and maybe not all of this is related to CFU. My AF is coming up for the CSP, I've had the card for 2 years now recently called and was give no offer to keep. I was planning on apply for the CFU. Instead I was thinking of changing the CSP to the CFU. Then applying for a new CSP. That way I collect a new signup bonus of 50+5 (since it will be 24 months since I received my initial bonus in about another week). I would also have my annual fee waived for this next year by doing so. So here come the questions:

1. I am currently awaiting a 10k CSP referral. How long does it take for this to post, they have had the card for almost 2-3 weeks now. If I PC to CFU prior to the CSP referral posting, do I lose the 10k referral bonus?

2. Do I have to wait a month after I PC my CSP in order to apply for a new one and receive the bonus even though it will have been 24 months?

3. Does anyone see any flaw to this strategy? the 5/24 rule is of no concern to me.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Anyone successfully applied for CFU in a branch while being clearly over 5/24? Conversely, anyone who tried applying for CFU in a branch while being clearly over 5/24 denied for that reason?
Yah couldn't help it. Got a 30 day message.

If the impossible is true I'll let you know. Sitting at ~11/24 right now with 730's FICO 8. I have a "good" relationship with Chase.

If they say no, I may ask for a slate and then try to PC. Any issues with that plan?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by earlgray

If the impossible is true I'll let you know. Sitting at ~11/24 right now with 730's FICO 8. I have a "good" relationship with Chase.

If they say no, I may ask for a slate and then try to PC. Any issues with that plan?
That's sounds like a perfect plan. Please keep us informed as to your results on the app.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by earlgray

My understanding is Chase won't PC cards anymore until a year has passed so you may have a Slate for a while.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ifish110
My understanding is Chase won't PC cards anymore until a year has passed so you may have a Slate for a while.
I think he'll be stuck with Slate for 15 months. I don't think they PC until Slate promo ends.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:01 pm

In other news, I went to the bank, applied for FU and basically got FU'ed with 7-10 message. I'm way past 5/24 and have good CC relationship with chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.