Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

5x for first year at Grocery Stores. Capped at 12K in spend:

Key points:
  • $200 (20K UR) sign up bonus
  • Does not seem to be possible to generate referrals for this offer
Does this card earn Ultimate Rewards points or cash back rewards?

It earns Ultimate Rewards points which may be redeemed for cash.

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, all versions of Ink, JPM Select, JPM Palladium all earn Ultimate Rewards points. Ultimate Rewards points earned with any of these cards may be redeemed for cash at the rate 1 point = $0.01.

Chase markets Freedom, Unlimited, and Ink Cash as cash rewards, the others as points cards. The difference is in the marketing, not the rewards.

Travel and purchase protection benefits
Visa Signature
Visa Platinum

For general info, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:26 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Another data point:

Walked in to a Chase branch today. Applied with the banker, immediately approved. I have a Business Ink Plus and a Hyatt Visa; both opened in the last year. Have opened a good number of other non-Chase cards in the past year.
What's a good amount?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:30 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
Are people seriously willing to wait out new card bonuses for a year or so just for this card? That seems nuts to me. Cards come and go and good signup bonuses and spend bonuses come and go.

Several people have posted in here about waiting to hit 5/24 just for this card. I agree that it's a good card for domestic, non-bonus-category, general spend when you don't have a threshold to meet elsewhere, but that's a fairly limited amount of charges, in my book. While I'd like to get one, I'm most definitely NOT going to stay on the sidelines just in the hopes that one day I can get this.

My only plan for this card, really, is to swap out the Arrival+ that I have my wife and kids use. And even at that, for any big charge, they'll check with me first to see if I need it on some other card.
I value chase cards so I need to lay off if I want to open any new Chase account, not just this card. Have run through about 12 citi AA cards (and 1 Barclays) so prob need to slow down there. That just leaves Amex which I don't value that high... Not a lot of low hanging fruit left....
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I value chase cards so I need to lay off if I want to open any new Chase account, not just this card. Have run through about 12 citi AA cards (and 1 Barclays) so prob need to slow down there. That just leaves Amex which I don't value that high... Not a lot of low hanging fruit left....
That's what I'm doing also. If you want good bonuses that you can use you wait!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
What's a good amount?
10+
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
10+
Interesting. It seems that the 5/24 rule is not strictly enforced when applying in branch as opposed to online or the banker maybe overriding it.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:33 am

It looks like the link to apply for this card has gone live. ( It just isn't linked directly through their front page and I found this through credit karma)

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited

Last edited by Kayakj; Mar 31, 2016 at 12:11 pm Reason: Remove referral code
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by Kayakj
It looks like the link to apply for this card has gone live.
Thank you. Application link works, but it appears to include referral coding which I have removed..
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:02 pm

Can this card be expedited? Need to put through a charge by end of next week and if I can get the card in time, I'll apply now.

Any difference in method of application (branch, online, etc.)? Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
So where exactly in the terms does it detail being able to convert cash back to UR points (assuming you have a CSP, etc.)? Not standing out for me...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by G2244
So where exactly in the terms does it detail being able to convert cash back to UR points (assuming you have a CSP, etc.)? Not standing out for me...
I would assume it works just like the regular Freedom. You log into your Chase account, go to Ultimate Rewards, and then choose "Combine Points" from the dropdown menu under your point balance.

Do the terms and product pages for the regular Freedom explicitly state that you can convert to UR?

Edit: Actually, the offer terms regarding "Cash Back and Points" for the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are nearly identical. The only difference I see is that the Freedom Unlimited allows you to redeem any amount of points at any time, while the Freedom only allows redemptions starting at 2,000 points. So there's really no reason to believe that the Freedom Unlimited points won't transfer into CSP, etc.

Last edited by ryanmcv; Mar 31, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I would assume it works just like the regular Freedom. You log into your Chase account, go to Ultimate Rewards, and then choose "Combine Points" from the dropdown menu under your point balance.

Do the terms and product pages for the regular Freedom explicitly state that you can convert to UR?

Edit: Actually, the offer terms regarding "Cash Back and Points" for the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are nearly identical. The only difference I see is that the Freedom Unlimited allows you to redeem any amount of points at any time, while the Freedom only allows redemptions starting at 2,000 points. So there's really no reason to believe that the Freedom Unlimited points won't transfer into CSP, etc.
I applied in a branch a few weeks ago and for some reason my first statement already hit on 3/27. I was able to transfer the FU points to CSP.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IlliniDude
I applied in a branch a few weeks ago and for some reason my first statement already hit on 3/27. I was able to transfer the FU points to CSP.
Great! Thanks for confirming.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:38 pm

will chase see accounts opened in last 2 weeks from other banks? I assume they will see BA card because it's chase, even though not on credit report yet?...opened 2 weeks ago.
I really want this card, but I'm at 5/24 without counting the BA card...3 being AA's.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by theplayer
will chase see accounts opened in last 2 weeks from other banks?
Yes. Why wouldn't they?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Yes. Why wouldn't they?
I thought they wouldn't show up on credit report until 1st statement cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.