FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Freedom Unlimited.
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:35 am
steve4

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
It becomes a calculation. How much unbonused spend do you put on your freedom today or plan to put on it (would the unlimited replace another "everyday" card?)

Then see if the multiplier is worth more than the bonus you've made in the last year with your freedom.

I know personally I cleaned up on freedoms Amazon 5x and then amazingly generous 10x bonus. This year I am going to max out the local commuter transport (tons of cabs and ubers for work) and restaurants (client dinners) and the bonus on those two categories would be more than the bonus I get on freedom unlimited for every day spend. Plus for me, everyday unbonused spend is spg Amex or diners club if a place doesn't take Amex (aka my dry cleaners). For me, the numbers say stick with my freedom and don't mess with my chase cards (which includes a Hyatt and CSP)

I also pay my rent with a credit card (appfolio), but I prefer to use that for making cc bonuses (especially since most good ms venues are gone) which is more profitable than 1.5x ur.

But, everyone's situation is different and you'll have to do the math to see if it works for you.
For me, the comparison comes down to the 1.5 points per dollar from FU vs straight 2% cash back from Cap One Spark Cash Business. In some cases the 1.5 points will yield better value (transfer to partner programs), but my travel plans change all the time. The other difference is that FU is a personal and not a business card, so it should have more consumer protections. However, Spark has no FTF. Tough decision.