Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the link. It does not even ask you to log in UA first. Interesting.
I know we aren't supposed to post links or referrals here, but I got all my CC links straight from milenerd.

http://www.milenerd.com/2015/06/the-...edit-cards-16/
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glammistress
I don't post here because I'm shy, but this is unreal:

My husband was declined for the Freedom. He has 2 accounts total in 2 years! A Barclays at the end of 2013 and a CSP that we've paid the annual fee on and we're keeping. They cited him being an AU on my accounts (I have 3 chase accounts in the past 2 years, but I use them all every month for significant spend). We're talking about high income, high credit scores, no debt carried month to month. I'm stunned right now. I don't get the business model here. I'm not a churner. I really think hard about the cards I want and need and then keep them. My husband was ready to cancel his CSP when talking to the agent but I talked him out of it. Shoot, I know Amex will take my money.
Unreal indeed.

Originally Posted by beltway
So much for the "Be good to Chase and Chase will be good to you" theory.
Shall we wage a bet on whether we would see a reply from the vocal member who is so loudly proclaim he is the perfect model of this theory that is totally unproven as he has not applied any UR card "to show us the money"...

He has chased his "residence" lately to another thread, have you noticed it?

I say folks, forget about the UR cards, get the co-branded while you still can, and take your real spend to either Citi TYP or to AMEX MR. Let Chase eat its own cake when there are only cake crumbs left.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:26 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I know that if you voluntarily lower your credit limit on Citi, it could take up to a few months for the credit limit to "recycle" back so that it is usable when you apply. How long does it take for Chase? I imagine it's shorter because I haven't seen people complain about this?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by swy
I know that if you voluntarily lower your credit limit on Citi, it could take up to a few months for the credit limit to "recycle" back so that it is usable when you apply. How long does it take for Chase? I imagine it's shorter because I haven't seen people complain about this?
IMO your premise is incorrect. Voluntarily lowering your CL has effect immediately with the bank in question. (Not to stray too far OT, but the issue with Citi had to do with canceling a card.)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:51 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
IMO your premise is incorrect. Voluntarily lowering your CL has effect immediately with the bank in question. (Not to stray too far OT, but the issue with Citi had to do with canceling a card.)
I see, thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:19 am
jk2

In my experience, "in approximately 2 weeks" corresponds to eventual approval, and "7 to 10 business days" means denial. YMMV.
My concern is that it's been 20 days since she applied and it quickly approaches a 30 day mark, after that this application cannot be reactivated, if denied. I wonder may be they wait for me to call to check DOB, SSN, or something like that?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

My husband was declined for the Freedom. He has 2 accounts total in 2 years! A Barclays at the end of 2013 and a CSP that we've paid the annual fee on and we're keeping. They cited him being an AU on my accounts (I have 3 chase accounts in the past 2 years, but I use them all every month for significant spend). We're talking about high income, high credit scores, no debt carried month to month. I'm stunned right now. I don't get the business model here. I'm not a churner. I really think hard about the cards I want and need and then keep them. My husband was ready to cancel his CSP when talking to the agent but I talked him out of it. Shoot, I know Amex will take my money.
Wanted to say something profound here, but can't think of anything. Doing something like this isn't just stupid, it borders on suicidal.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by IanJaxx
I closed my Explorer (personal) cards couple months ago. Since we are booking the domestic flights in USA now, I found that we might take UA flights.
So if I apply the business version of Explorer card now (to save the checked luggage fee), will I earn the sign-up bonus (50,000 miles now) again?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes, provided that Chase approves the application. It may be much harder than it has been in past years.
So I let my wife apply United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card since I recently just got two other cards from AMEX and Citi. She did not get instant approval but did see the approval email in several days without calling recon.

I am now wondering whether purchasing tickets with this United MileagePlus Explorer Card could get free first checked bag on UA flight operated by Skywest Airlines dba United Express?

And does anyone know how long it typically takes to receive the card in Sacramento area? In the email it only said "You'll receive your new Card in 5–7 business day". The approval email was sent on 6/23. I am not sure whether the ticket price will increase before we receive the card to book the ticket. Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards

Unreal. For what it's worth, there are some accounts of people in your situation (good relationship with chase), getting them to disregard the Authorized user policy. Would love to hear more about your story (did you apply online, over the phone or in the bank? Do you have any other relationship with Chase? Checking/savings? Have you checked your Experian score recently to make sure there are no derogatory remarks? How many other accounts do you have open in total?)

This seems to point to them having a strict cutoff, but I'd love to know if there are other explanations.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by aza72
Unreal. For what it's worth, there are some accounts of people in your situation (good relationship with chase), getting them to disregard the Authorized user policy. Would love to hear more about your story (did you apply online, over the phone or in the bank? Do you have any other relationship with Chase? Checking/savings? Have you checked your Experian score recently to make sure there are no derogatory remarks? How many other accounts do you have open in total?)

This seems to point to them having a strict cutoff, but I'd love to know if there are other explanations.
This doesn't really follow the other data points regarding the cutoff though. We're seeing 4 cards, 5 cards absolute max in the last two years, some leeway if you have more total cc+au but no more than 5 after removing au's. this is straight up 2 cards in 2 years with high credit score and income.

really not optimistic for my pending ink plus application now.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:19 am

Here's some more info for the community. I have a checking relationship with Chase, my husband does not. He applied online through the chase website (no referral link used, etc). We each have LifeLock - I watch our credit like a hawk. I immediately panicked and thought there was something going on his with his account. There wasn't. In regards to credit accounts, he has an ancient Amex and Discover, neither of which get used. The CSP is his and is the US Airways (Barclays). Plus a never used card from our credit union and an ancient Home Depot account. That's it. Like I said upthread. We're not churners. We find some cards that work for us and use them.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by alany611
This doesn't really follow the other data points regarding the cutoff though. We're seeing 4 cards, 5 cards absolute max in the last two years, some leeway if you have more total cc+au but no more than 5 after removing au's. this is straight up 2 cards in 2 years with high credit score and income.

really not optimistic for my pending ink plus application now.
But they are saying that Authorized User accounts are counted for part of the total. Though people have been able to get the agents to disregard them if they get them on the phone. This could work for Mr. Glammistress.

Here's some more info for the community. I have a checking relationship with Chase, my husband does not. He applied online through the chase website (no referral link used, etc). We each have LifeLock - I watch our credit like a hawk. I immediately panicked and thought there was something going on his with his account. There wasn't. In regards to credit accounts, he has an ancient Amex and Discover, neither of which get used. The CSP is his and is the US Airways (Barclays). Plus a never used card from our credit union and an ancient Home Depot account. That's it. Like I said upthread. We're not churners. We find some cards that work for us and use them.
I don't think this policy is targeted at churners, more of Chase trying to get beyond the FICO score by looking out for people opening lots of new credit cards, but a potentially misapplied policy. Also, I'd look into other credit monitoring services than LifeLock (check out the wired article from a few years ago).

Again, given that he has only two cards, long history with Chase, and the rest are AU cards, I would guess you could have a good chance escalating and getting the card approved.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24937483-post3644.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24949063-post180.html

Though this is certainly a data point for the hard limit, let's keep in mind there are still some people are getting approved with more than 5. eg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24964430-post3770.html

But it's still not clear what the mitigating factors are for them that let's them get approved.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:10 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Though this is certainly a data point for the hard limit, let's keep in mind there are still some people are getting approved with more than 5. eg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24964430-post3770.html

But it's still not clear what the mitigating factors are for them that let's them get approved.
We have seen multiple exceptions to the apparent limit for:

Business cards (as in the example you link to)
Cobrand cards
People for whom some of the 5+ new cards were AUs

There have been very few, if any, observed exceptions to the core principle of "you can't get a personal non-cobrand card with 5+ new cards in 2 years."
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Too many app turndown -which bloggers care?

Turned down for my first Freedom (Probably7 apps last 2 years and 2 auth user). Read the warning in Million Mile Secrets the day after I applied thru Frugal Travel Guy site. I have since complained to FTG that at least said they should warn people and maybe investigate if that is their point in advising us on cards. FTG replies this week that the isolated incidents are not a policy at Chase. Even less help was my beloved Points Guy who has said nada. I give credit to Mommy Points and some others who at least brought out the issue but with all these blogger miles sites it would have been nice to know in May when it started. With Chase off the table the future will be much more limited for us.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gregillinois
Turned down for my first Freedom (Probably7 apps last 2 years and 2 auth user). Read the warning in Million Mile Secrets the day after I applied thru Frugal Travel Guy site. I have since complained to FTG that at least said they should warn people and maybe investigate if that is their point in advising us on cards. FTG replies this week that the isolated incidents are not a policy at Chase. Even less help was my beloved Points Guy who has said nada. I give credit to Mommy Points and some others who at least brought out the issue but with all these blogger miles sites it would have been nice to know in May when it started.
FT has an entire forum for griping about bloggers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...resources-723/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.