Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by glammistress
Here's some more info for the community. I have a checking relationship with Chase, my husband does not. He applied online through the chase website (no referral link used, etc). We each have LifeLock - I watch our credit like a hawk. I immediately panicked and thought there was something going on his with his account. There wasn't. In regards to credit accounts, he has an ancient Amex and Discover, neither of which get used. The CSP is his and is the US Airways (Barclays). Plus a never used card from our credit union and an ancient Home Depot account. That's it. Like I said upthread. We're not churners. We find some cards that work for us and use them.
Call again and explain that the AU should not count. People have done this with success and been approved. You just have to push them. If it is not worth the bonus, then forget it and move on. Happened to many people so don't take it personally.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Call again and explain that the AU should not count. People have done this with success and been approved. You just have to push them. If it is not worth the bonus, then forget it and move on. Happened to many people so don't take it personally.
My husband actually pushed back pretty hard with the rep regarding the AU cards, which stunned me (he doesn't like talking to reps on the phone, etc. Very shy). The rep shut him down completely. There's no way he'll call back, so I'm considering the matter closed. It's amazing to me. One of the chase accounts I have is the United Club - hubs is an AU on that account too - that darn card has a $400 annual fee that I pay!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I just applied to try and take advantage of the Chase Freedom 20,000 point bonus. I got a 'Thanks for Applying...We need to review your application a little longer." page. I opened up a Citi Prestige in early May, and a Citi Premier in early June. Nothing outside of that for 2 years. Hopefully I still get it. Will the date of decision affect if I get the $200 CB offer instead of $100?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
I just applied to try and take advantage of the Chase Freedom 20,000 point bonus. I got a 'Thanks for Applying...We need to review your application a little longer." page. I opened up a Citi Prestige in early May, and a Citi Premier in early June. Nothing outside of that for 2 years. Hopefully I still get it. Will the date of decision affect if I get the $200 CB offer instead of $100?
If you're approved, Chase will give you the 20,000 points if past practice is any indication. (This stands in contrast to Amex, which reportedly uses approval date & occasionally denies people bonuses on offers for which they applied, but which expired before approval.)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
If you're approved, Chase will give you the 20,000 points if past practice is any indication. (This stands in contrast to Amex, which reportedly uses approval date & occasionally denies people bonuses on offers for which they applied, but which expired before approval.)
OT

I believe AMEX has changed the practice, now put in the fine print on the cut off for awarding bonus purpose.

Last Dec I applied the DL Biz Gold card a day before the offer expired. To my surprise, I did not get an instant approval as I always did with AMEX applications. Tried to call AMEX but found out I had to wait till Monday which passed the offer expiration date. While kicking myself, I re-read the offer fine prints - thank goodness it referred to must APPLY before offer expiration. Very clear wordings too.

Once I could get hold of AMEX new account, I got the approval over the phone but it passed the offer deadline. Asked the rep to notate the account, the rep checked then came back said you did not need the notation as you applied before the deadline. You should be fine. Bonus did post without hiccup.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
My husband actually pushed back pretty hard with the rep regarding the AU cards, which stunned me (he doesn't like talking to reps on the phone, etc. Very shy). The rep shut him down completely. There's no way he'll call back, so I'm considering the matter closed. It's amazing to me. One of the chase accounts I have is the United Club - hubs is an AU on that account too - that darn card has a $400 annual fee that I pay!
The first level rep is not authorized to do anything. You need to insist on talking to a supervisor. Tell them you have a complaint and they will escalate it. The next level up, the reps will consider removing AU accounts from the total. That was my experience and I think that of one or two others.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:09 pm

I applied for the Chase Freedom this morning - got the "pending further review" screen. I waited until the afternoon and called the reconsideration line. The rep told me I was denied because I had opened too many cards in the past 2 years. I asked what she saw and she said 5 new cards - and I explained that one of the 5 was really my changing from Ink Plus to Ink Cash. Then she said that it was an AU on my husband's account that showed and I told her I was on that just so I can call and talk about accounts and that I had taken myself off last night. She put me on hold, came back and reviewed things again and finally approved me after I moved 10K in CL from my Marriott card to the Freedom card. The call took 30 minutes, but I was pleased. I was super polite and had done my homework before the call, so that might have helped. Glad I didn't end up with a denial.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by snic
The first level rep is not authorized to do anything. You need to insist on talking to a supervisor. Tell them you have a complaint and they will escalate it. The next level up, the reps will consider removing AU accounts from the total. That was my experience and I think that of one or two others.

Other people in this thread have said that they can call Chase, introduce themselves, and explain that their significant other will be handling the call and they authorize them to speak on their behalf, and then handing the phone over.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
We have seen multiple exceptions to the apparent limit for:

Business cards (as in the example you link to)
Cobrand cards
People for whom some of the 5+ new cards were AUs

There have been very few, if any, observed exceptions to the core principle of "you can't get a personal non-cobrand card with 5+ new cards in 2 years."

Interesting. I'll try to comb through the thread to aggregate the results. In that case the limit would only be insurmountable on the Ink Plus, Ink Cash, Freedom and Slate cards.

It would be an interesting if someone gets denied if they could try to get approved for the Slate card. Since the Slate card has no bonus, if they can't get approved, it would suggest that the rules are targeted to avoid high risk customers, if they do get approved, then the rules are more likely targeted at people gaming for sign up bonuses.

In fact, if they are trying to weed out customers that take out a large amount of debt, and then default, the Slate card should be the hardest to get, since it offers low interest and $0 balance transfers.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by gregillinois
Turned down for my first Freedom (Probably7 apps last 2 years and 2 auth user). Read the warning in Million Mile Secrets the day after I applied thru Frugal Travel Guy site. I have since complained to FTG that at least said they should warn people and maybe investigate if that is their point in advising us on cards. FTG replies this week that the isolated incidents are not a policy at Chase. Even less help was my beloved Points Guy who has said nada. I give credit to Mommy Points and some others who at least brought out the issue but with all these blogger miles sites it would have been nice to know in May when it started. With Chase off the table the future will be much more limited for us.
You made a few fatal errors:
1. You attempted to give a blogger commission
2. You believe what someone tells you who is making a profit off your app
3. You did not perform your own due diligence
4. Mad at someone else for you not following #3
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
You made a few fatal errors:
1. You attempted to give a blogger commission
2. You believe what someone tells you who is making a profit off your app
3. You did not perform your own due diligence
4. Mad at someone else for you not following #3
At least he has now found FlyerTalk and can get the info directly from the source! Congratulations, mistakes are part of the learning process - we have all made our fare share. You got a hard pull on your credit score, likely 3-5 point deduction, pretty much inconsequential. I suspect many of the blogs don't even know about the policy change. Even if they are promoting the cards, they aren't applying for them regularly themselves, and since it's not a public policy yet, there is no way Chase has informed all the affiliates.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by pritomd
I think they'd give it to you. I applied for my Freedom card in March. Got a "pending" message from Chase. Over a month later the card arrived in the mail. I SM'd Chase very politely asking if they'd consider giving me the extra 10k points to match the current sign-up offer. In less than 30 minutes I received a follow-up and 10k more UR points in my account.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:26 am

Has anyone figured out what it means when calling the automated line and getting no status update just, "to repeat this information press 7"? This happened on two Chase apps that were eventually approved in the past and is now happening when I call for the status of dh's ink cash app.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by diseased
Has anyone figured out what it means when calling the automated line and getting no status update just, "to repeat this information press 7"? This happened on two Chase apps that were eventually approved in the past and is now happening when I call for the status of dh's ink cash app.
Other than that it makes me want to punch something or someone?

Same thing happened to me on an Ink Plus app in early May. For about 3 weeks I got the no-message message; then, around the time my app was denied, the "7 to 10 business days" message started playing. Given that your first two apps were approved, it seems this isn't a marker for eventual approval or denial, but rather a non-correlated technical glitch.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:31 am
RNE

Originally Posted by nangress
I applied for the Chase Freedom this morning - got the "pending further review" screen. I waited until the afternoon and called the reconsideration line. The rep told me I was denied because I had opened too many cards in the past 2 years. I asked what she saw and she said 5 new cards - and I explained that one of the 5 was really my changing from Ink Plus to Ink Cash. Then she said that it was an AU on my husband's account that showed and I told her I was on that just so I can call and talk about accounts and that I had taken myself off last night. She put me on hold, came back and reviewed things again and finally approved me after I moved 10K in CL from my Marriott card to the Freedom card. The call took 30 minutes, but I was pleased. I was super polite and had done my homework before the call, so that might have helped. Glad I didn't end up with a denial.
Congratulations. You didn't accept the defeatist dogma, and you won! Enjoy those 20,000+ UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.