Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by metoo
Any recent Chase cards such as Hyatt and Marriott given instant approval if you have more than 5 credit cards or more within 24 months?

I have 6 experian inquiries within the last 6 months including one Chase United Explorer card approved in mid May 2015. Any chance of instant approval for the Hyatt or Marriott card? My overall CL with Chase is low.

Or should I not even waste a HP from Chase.
I got instant approval for my hyatt card, but I recently reduced credit limits as well. Got denied and manhandled on United Biz card. Good thing I have 3 Ink cards that I will hold onto.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:42 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by metoo
Any recent Chase cards such as Hyatt and Marriott given instant approval if you have more than 5 credit cards or more within 24 months?

I have 6 experian inquiries within the last 6 months including one Chase United Explorer card approved in mid May 2015. Any chance of instant approval for the Hyatt or Marriott card? My overall CL with Chase is low.

Or should I not even waste a HP from Chase.
I got a Marriott on 6/1. I had to reallocate my Credit Line, but I got it! DH was denied on the same day for a CSP for 8 HP in 2 years. I have more cards than he does.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceton
5 card limit is a myth for me as of two days ago. I'm at 6 cards, 3 of which are in the past 3 months.

Applied for the business Southwest card
You haven't been reading carefully. The 5 card limit is for people who are applying for non-partner cards, like Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points. The 5 card limit does not seem to apply to cards from partners such as Southwest. Here's a thread specific to Southwest results in the Southwest forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ials-here.html
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by browerjs
I applied, got pending, called and they said I had been denied for too many open accounts, they said there was nothing that could be done... Oh well...
Don't feel bad! At least you gave it a try. Now you know. Feel bad for those who sit it out yet would have been approved. More's the pity for them. Bravo to you! ^

RNE, revealing the 5/24 dogma to be toothless.

P.S. The wiki is one-sided; opposing views are routinely deleted. So much for the marketplace of ideas.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Applied UA last night and got pending. Should I call recon or just wait? I got 10 new cards in 2014 and 3 in 2015.. Have had UA in 3/2013 and closed it two months ago.. Appreciate any suggestion..
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:04 am
RNE

Originally Posted by kasan08
Applied UA last night and got pending. Should I call recon or just wait? I got 10 new cards in 2014 and 3 in 2015.. Have had UA in 3/2013 and closed it two months ago.. Appreciate any suggestion..
That's a lot of cards opened! While Chase doesn't have a hard and fast rule in place, it's clearly cracking down on card addicts (I'm one, myself). If you have a compelling reason why you need that new card, then call Chase and work your way up to a supervisor. Otherwise, it's better to wait out the snail mail. Good luck. Congratulations for trying. You'd get nothing if you hadn't.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kasan08
Recon calls are pure torture now, and may even be counter-productive. The only reason to call is if one has AU cards that they want Chase to discount. Otherwise, you may do better if you just wait it out, and at least will avoid the grilling by the CSR.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I applied, got pending, called and they said I had been denied for too many open accounts, they said there was nothing that could be done... Oh well...
It only made sense to try. You will want to apply for cards from other banks, and doing that would have totally ended any chance of approval with Chase. It was a calculated gamble that didn't work out, but not a big mistake. For once RNE makes sense, saying if you hadn't applied then it was certain you wouldn't have gotten it.

Most everyone but Chase goes on HPs in the past 6 months, and you only have 5 right now, so you are good to apply for pretty much whatever you want. If you don't have much history with Citi, you might want to apply for maybe one card with them next, and then wait until the HPs from those other apps fall off of your 6 month record before you apply with Citi again. 6 apps in 6 months is the point where Citi starts to get nervous about apps from people that don't have considerable history with them.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: DL, WoH
That's my thinking. Might as well try now. This new policy might soon trickle into co-branded cards. Get in while the getting is good on those cards.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Data Point

I applied for Chase Hyatt on June 5th. I received 30 day notification. Called recon today with little hope and was approved after moving 8k limit from Sapphire. I have four cards with Chase currently all with AU's and I am AU on my wife's five Chase cards, two which she was approved for this year. FICO score is 796.

Have current Chase cards:
Chase Sapphire - approved 11/15/14 (2nd card with AU and 23k limit)
Southwest - approved 04/30/2014 (with AU and 4k limit)
British Airways - approved 03/23/2015 (2nd card with AU and 20k limit)
Chase Ink - approved 04/30/14 (with AU)
Hyatt - Approved today

I was also approved for theses cards this year:
Amex gold - approved 06/07/2015
Citi AA Bus (sole prop) - approved 02/22/2015
Citi Premier - approved 05/15/15 (with AU)
Barclays US Air - approved 01/20/2015 (with AU)
2x Alaska Air - both approved 04/07/2015
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
It only made sense to try. You will want to apply for cards from other banks, and doing that would have totally ended any chance of approval with Chase. It was a calculated gamble that didn't work out, but not a big mistake. For once RNE makes sense, saying if you hadn't applied then it was certain you wouldn't have gotten it.

Most everyone but Chase goes on HPs in the past 6 months, and you only have 5 right now, so you are good to apply for pretty much whatever you want. If you don't have much history with Citi, you might want to apply for maybe one card with them next, and then wait until the HPs from those other apps fall off of your 6 month record before you apply with Citi again. 6 apps in 6 months is the point where Citi starts to get nervous about apps from people that don't have considerable history with them.
Yea, right after getting off the phone with Chase I was instantly approved for a Delta Amex and AA Citi MC.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by pachinko799
Data Point

I applied for Chase Hyatt on June 5th. I received 30 day notification. Called recon today with little hope and was approved after moving 8k limit from Sapphire. I have four cards with Chase currently all with AU's and I am AU on my wife's five Chase cards, two which she was approved for this year. FICO score is 796.

Have current Chase cards:
Chase Sapphire - approved 11/15/14 (2nd card with AU and 23k limit)
Southwest - approved 04/30/2014 (with AU and 4k limit)
British Airways - approved 03/23/2015 (2nd card with AU and 20k limit)
Chase Ink - approved 04/30/14 (with AU)
Hyatt - Approved today

I was also approved for theses cards this year:
Amex gold - approved 06/07/2015
Citi AA Bus (sole prop) - approved 02/22/2015
Citi Premier - approved 05/15/15 (with AU)
Barclays US Air - approved 01/20/2015 (with AU)
2x Alaska Air - both approved 04/07/2015

Awesome data point, thank you for sharing. Strongly suggests cobranded cards are in the clear. Do you have any other banking relationship with chase other than CC?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:08 pm

I'm thinking of going for it and applying for the Ink Bold with the 50k bonus in the next 30 days. I would use a sole proprietorship as my business with $2k-$3k monthly revenue.

The current cards I have are: BofA Cash Rewards (12/16/13), Freedom (2/11/15), CSP (4/8/15), PRG (4/19/15), Everyday (4/19/15), Arrival+ (4/27/15) and Delta Gold (6/26/15).

FICO: 743, 5HP each from EX and TU.

I have a checking and savings with Chase that I use often and just finished paying off my auto loan from them a month ago.

Future cards are: SW Plus and Premier towards the end of the year to shoot for a 2016-17 companion pass and possibly a hotel card within 3 months.

Good idea to apply now or should I hold off and don't waste a HP?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by sateran
I'm thinking of going for it and applying for the Ink Bold with the 50k bonus in the next 30 days. I would use a sole proprietorship as my business with $2k-$3k monthly revenue.

The current cards I have are: BofA Cash Rewards (12/16/13), Freedom (2/11/15), CSP (4/8/15), PRG (4/19/15), Everyday (4/19/15), Arrival+ (4/27/15) and Delta Gold (6/26/15).

FICO: 743, 5HP each from EX and TU.

I have a checking and savings with Chase that I use often and just finished paying off my auto loan from them a month ago.

Future cards are: SW Plus and Premier towards the end of the year to shoot for a 2016-17 companion pass and possibly a hotel card within 3 months.

Good idea to apply now or should I hold off and don't waste a HP?
People are reporting that biz cards have different rules, so you have a chance. I'd say not a waste of a HP, but not a guaranteed approval either.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver
So I've gotten 4 new cards in the last 6 months (2 of which are Chase SW cards). This is all the new cards I've had in the past 2 years. I've also been added as an AU on a CSP and Amex Platinum in the same time frame.
I would call them back and ask for the AU cards to be removed. My wife recently got denied for CSP for the same reason, she has 4 new accounts and is an AU on one of mine. The first line rep was able to remove the AU and reconsider the app. It was then denied for lack of sufficient credit history. Find that odd since among her last 4 cards were the amex personal platinum and personal gold. Once I get the official denial letter for the lack of credit history, plan on calling back and escalating to see if we can get the decision reversed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.