Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Got a "call us" on the website, ...
I've gotten this a few times and usually they felt my CL across all my Chase cards was too high and wanted me to re-allocate some credit from another card(s) to the new one about to be approved.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:00 am

Adding a data point:

Been a Chase checking customer for 4 years. Only had a Cap1 card for years and years, then got my first card (CSP) two months ago. Got the second (Freedom) a month ago. Just got a "call us" message upon submitting an Ink Plus application. Recon call was detailed questions about my business (for which I had specified a $1k revenue, sole prop). Declined due to the recent card additions and the low revenue of my business. Planning to re-apply in a couple months once I've got a bit more payment history to prove my credit-worthiness.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:34 am
jk2

Wife applied for Hyatt Visa on 6/4. Got a pending notice. I do check a status every day (automatic phone line) - "we'll let you know in 2 weeks". So, for 19 days her app is "pending". Is it a normal? Usually, the review is done in a week or so. She doesn't like to call and due to new Chase rules I'm not sure it is wise to call. She has lots of card 2 years and 4 Chase cards (3 pers, 1 busn). Her last Chase app was in January 2015. Should we wait or call?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by jk2
Wife applied for Hyatt Visa on 6/4. Got a pending notice. I do check a status every day (automatic phone line) - "we'll let you know in 2 weeks". So, for 19 days her app is "pending". Is it a normal? Usually, the review is done in a week or so. She doesn't like to call and due to new Chase rules I'm not sure it is wise to call. She has lots of card 2 years and 4 Chase cards (3 pers, 1 busn). Her last Chase app was in January 2015. Should we wait or call?
I haven't seen any recent data points that make me believe that calling in increases your chances of approval. Waiting it out seems much more prudent these days. There's no way I'd call with more than five new credit card accounts opened in the last 24 months.

Please let us know what happens.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jk2
In my experience, "in approximately 2 weeks" corresponds to eventual approval, and "7 to 10 business days" means denial. YMMV.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beerandpork
Adding a data point:

Been a Chase checking customer for 4 years. Only had a Cap1 card for years and years, then got my first card (CSP) two months ago. Got the second (Freedom) a month ago. Just got a "call us" message upon submitting an Ink Plus application. Recon call was detailed questions about my business (for which I had specified a $1k revenue, sole prop). Declined due to the recent card additions and the low revenue of my business. Planning to re-apply in a couple months once I've got a bit more payment history to prove my credit-worthiness.
DW was denied a few months ago for an Ink Cash, which should be easier to get approved than a Plus. They didn't think her 8 month old business with current profit of $5K a month qualified. Said they wanted to see another year of business income, and of spend on her recently opened cards.

I'd say another app in a couple of months, the way Chase is acting now, would be a wasted HP.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Happy
I dont know if you can check status online or via phone on a business card app. Those who are denied on the recent rules seem to be all auto-denied by the computer immediately despite the screen just showed pending but when they checked shortly afterward, inevitably were all denied. If you can check the status and it is still pending, you stand for a chance to get an approval. imho.

May I ask what sign up bonus on the UA Biz card you applied? The 50K bonus expired on June 2nd. Now the public offer is only 30K. Were you able to see the 50K offer popped up on UA after doing flight search?
https://www.theexplorercard.com/Business50KAFW
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by rrez
Another data point: I did recently reduce credit limits with the chase cards as this seems to help with auto-approvals.
How recently did you reduce your credit limits with Chase before applying? TIA
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Thanks for the link. It does not even ask you to log in UA first. Interesting.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:19 pm

hey guys, I just applied for the Chase Ink. I have 38k TCL from Chase and my cards in the last 2 years are CSP, MPE, Amex Delta, Citi HHonors, and Chase IHG.

I have a 760 credit score and 65k total income. I have 30k revenue on my business. I just applied and got app pending. i've read that people feel it's better to not call? Kind of itching to call recon but not sure what the best course of action is.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:58 pm

Got my denial letter for Chase Freedom yesterday. This new policy is lame. Now, I have to wait and try for a co-branded card.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:54 pm

I don't post here because I'm shy, but this is unreal:

My husband was declined for the Freedom. He has 2 accounts total in 2 years! A Barclays at the end of 2013 and a CSP that we've paid the annual fee on and we're keeping. They cited him being an AU on my accounts (I have 3 chase accounts in the past 2 years, but I use them all every month for significant spend). We're talking about high income, high credit scores, no debt carried month to month. I'm stunned right now. I don't get the business model here. I'm not a churner. I really think hard about the cards I want and need and then keep them. My husband was ready to cancel his CSP when talking to the agent but I talked him out of it. Shoot, I know Amex will take my money.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by glammistress

My husband was declined for the Freedom. He has 2 accounts total in 2 years! A Barclays at the end of 2013 and a CSP that we've paid the annual fee on and we're keeping. They cited him being an AU on my accounts (I have 3 chase accounts in the past 2 years, but I use them all every month for significant spend). We're talking about high income, high credit scores, no debt carried month to month. I'm stunned right now. I don't get the business model here. I'm not a churner. I really think hard about the cards I want and need and then keep them. My husband was ready to cancel his CSP when talking to the agent but I talked him out of it. Shoot, I know Amex will take my money.
So much for the "Be good to Chase and Chase will be good to you" theory.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by glammistress

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. Spouse has Chase Ink Bold and that's it for Chase products. Maybe 3 other cards as primary (mostly Amex). But AU on my own Ink Plus and Freedom. We don't need the UR right now, so I'm thinking about cutting off the AU cards to prep for CSP or Freedom app. This policy is insane. I get the interest in limiting churners, but this scenario is nuts. They seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Given the recent change, I am thinking of throwing an app in for a CSP, seeing as how I want to actually be able to use my low 6 figure UR balance for something other than gift cards. Now is as good as its gonna get for me since 2 of my newest cards aren't yet appearing on my Equifax credit report, which is what Chase pulls for me (checked via Credit Karma this morning), though probably will soon.

Have had 7 new cards (9 including the 2 that aren't showing) in the past 2 years, recently closed 1 with Chase, but also a decent customer since I have checking, savings, and a mortgage with Chase.
Follow up... I was denied - first time I've ever been denied for a card. Guess I shouldn't be totally surprised but knew my credit report would look worse to Chase if I waited. Applied last night and wasn't approved, called recon today and the guy said it was denied and "due to the way it was denied I can't reconsider you". Ugh oh well. See how things shake out in the next few months I suppose. I guess I could always try to PC to a CSP if I need access to the UR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.