Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by ttonev
I was at Chase branch recently and was told that I am pre approved for the Sapphire card. I have 8 new cards in the last 2 years and this I understand is now a reason for denial. Is it possible that the branch process may be more flexible when it comes to approving people with checking, savings accounts and other chase relationships? Should I apply or its a guaranteed waste of a hard pull?
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/a-way-...ses-new-rules/

You may have a shot if you apply in branch and have been pre-approved but there aren't any success stories in the comments of this article.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
data point

I reapplied for the Hyatt card after 2.5 years since cancelling. Made the $1K spent and now have 2 free nights deposited in my account. I don't recommend timing it to exactly 2 years as some tried to do. Just wait a few months and it should work. Now the difficult part - where to use it
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Since the PRG is a charge card (which seems to have been excluded from the count in previous cases), I'm wondering if you're an AU on anyone else's card. In the alternative, I suppose it's possible the CapOne card fell right on the cusp & counted as your 5th card.
To my knowledge, I'm not an AU on anyone's card. Nothing on my credit karma report indicates that I am. Would they normally show up on a credit report?

That's a bummer if the CapOne card counted.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by aza72
The previous data point with PRG is mine. I also had the CSP show up in card match so I may have made it in with the 'preapproved' exception rather than a 'charge card exception'. The pre-approved explanation actually seems more likely since charge cards look nearly identical an the credit report, and given they don't exclude AU cards, I'd be surprised if they excluded charge cards. But maybe worth a shot with recon!

Have you checked your credit report? Does the PRG report a credit limit (indicating credit card) or not (indicating charge card)?
My PRG does not report a credit limit on credit karma.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:57 pm

Yet another data point

I was just semi-instantly approved* for a Chase Hyatt card. In the past 21 months (since Dec 2013), I've applied for and received 9 personal and 6 business cards:

Personal:
Barclays US Airways
Chase Britiah Airways
Citi Hilton Reserve
US Bank Club Carlson
Chase Saph Pref
Amex Everyday
Barclays Arrival+
Chase Marriott
Barclays Wyndham

Business:
Citi AA
Chase Ink
Delta Amex
Citi American
Barclays US Airways
Chase United

Also had a declined application (Citi AA) in that time.

*Semi-instant approval: After completing the online application, I was instantly shown a screen asking me to call a Chase 800 number, which seemed to be an identity check. After verifying my identity, the rep approved the application. 10 minutes after the phone call, the Hyatt card is showing on my online accounts.

FICO scores are high 700s, income is under $100k (I'm retired). Several weeks ago, I lowered the credit limits on all my other Chase cards to $7-9k, so that my pre-application total credit was about $30k.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25321199-post286.html He was told "five" in "two years" and denied the CSP card.
Ok, but the Wiki on this thread says:

"Starting in May 2015, Chase began denying applications for its own branded cards (e.g., Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; but not United, Hyatt, IHG, etc*) if the applicant's credit report shows that she or he opened more than 5 credit cards in the past 24 months".

So is the rule that denial is automatic for 5 or more, and the wiki needs to be updated? Or is the rule that denial is automatic for more than 5, but it could kick in at exactly 5 if there are other problems with your credit history, etc. ?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by Brugge
Ok, but the Wiki on this thread says:

"Starting in May 2015, Chase began denying applications for its own branded cards (e.g., Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; but not United, Hyatt, IHG, etc*) if the applicant's credit report shows that she or he opened more than 5 credit cards in the past 24 months".

So is the rule that denial is automatic for 5 or more, and the wiki needs to be updated? Or is the rule that denial is automatic for more than 5, but it could kick in at exactly 5 if there are other problems with your credit history, etc. ?
It isn't entirely clear exactly what the rule is. 5 or more? More than 5? Some other number. However we have gotten a lot of data points for approvals with a few cards, and denials a lot of cards, and the general evidence suggests that for most applicants, there is a hard line around 5 that the CSR can not get around.

There are certainly some nuances to it, more of which are becoming clear as we get more data points. I've updated the wiki to reflect our best information and people can read through the thread if they want more.

Last edited by aza72; Aug 26, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I've updated the wiki to reflect our best information and people can read through the thread if they want more.
And very well. Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Data point. Applied for IHG last night. Went to pending. Checked automated line today, approved with 25K (my highest CL ever).

10 new primary accounts open this year, 5 in last 6mo. What's interesting is I also have 10 new accounts in last 6mo as AU. I removed those from TU but not EX (pending). Chase pulls from both while Amex pulls from EX. No problem with either.

I reduced my total Chase CL from ~40K to ~15K about 2 months ago.

Affirmation that serious churners are OK with some strategy.

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't entirely clear exactly what the rule is. 5 or more? More than 5? Some other number.
Or the possibility that the exact number is YMMV!

There's a precedent for that at another bank: There is a semi-famous limit of "no more than 6 inquiries in the past 6 months" (on whichever bureau[s] they pull) over at Citi. Except some people are allowed a bit more than 6. So while the lookback period at Citi for inquiries is definitely 6 months, and the "safest" limit to be at is 6 (on a particular bureau) in that period, some people get approved despite being a bit beyond that.

So it could be that Chase limits it to 4 (denying at 5) for some people, but to 5 (denying at 6) for some other people, and perhaps could even have other numbers for yet other people.

For a lot of us, it doesn't matter: We're so far beyond 5, or 6, or 7, or 8, or 9, or 10... cards in the past 24 months, that a slight difference from "5" isn't going to help us.

And to further complicate things, it's not exactly clear what Chase counted for each person who reports a datapoint. Some people who post reports haven't actually counted the number of cards showing on the whichever credit report Chase pulled as having been opened in the 24 months preceding the application date. What they've done is listed how many cards they know they've opened. But have all of those for certain shown up on every credit report? BMO Diners Club credit cards don't seem to report to any credit bureaus; are those really the only non-charge cards that don't report to every credit bureau, or are there others?

Also, new cards may not report to the credit bureau as opened for a month or so. So cards that were opened soon before applying for a Chase non-partner personal card may not count for 5/24 (even though their inquiries might count if Chase is also counting inquiries).

... Btw, a lot of so-called "rules" out there on FT aren't certain. For example, the Citi 8/65 rule (for intervals between 2 or 3 card applications) is based on "known safe", but it includes padding. Being absolute over at the Citi is impossible; they write up denials for "no more than 2 cards in any 60 day" period when you waited 61 or 62 days (Citi is known for counting wrong!). So there's nothing to do but "pad" up to the point where nobody gets denied for following that rule, even if the rule is "padded".

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 26, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:01 pm

Question 1: Does the 5/24 rule include accounts that are currently closed? I have at least 7 Citi Exec cards that were opened but closed soon thereafter.

Question 2: Can the hard pull be saved from a declined app? Chase shows me prequalified for another Sapphire (over 24 months), but if I'm declined based on the 5/24 rule, can I apply the same day for a hotel or airline card and have the Experian pulls merged, thus still receiving a value for the hard pull?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by italdesign
approved with 25K (my highest CL ever).
I reduced my total Chase CL from ~40K to ~15K about 2 months ago.
Sounds like Chase really wants you at a 40K CL

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Or the possibility that the exact number is YMMV!

There's a precedent for that at another bank: There is a semi-famous limit of "no more than 6 inquiries in the past 6 months" (on whichever bureau[s] they pull) over at Citi. Except some people are allowed a bit more than 6. So while the lookback period at Citi for inquiries is definitely 6 months, and the "safest" limit to be at is 6 (on a particular bureau) in that period, some people get approved despite being a bit beyond that.

... Btw, a lot of so-called "rules" out there on FT aren't certain. For example, the Citi 8/65 rule (for intervals between 2 or 3 card applications) is based on "known safe", but it includes padding. Being absolute over at the Citi is impossible; they write up denials for "no more than 2 cards in any 60 day" period when you waited 61 or 62 days (Citi is known for counting wrong!). So there's nothing to do but "pad" up to the point where nobody gets denied for following that rule, even if the rule is "padded".
Very interesting.

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Question 1: Does the 5/24 rule include accounts that are currently closed? I have at least 7 Citi Exec cards that were opened but closed soon thereafter.

Question 2: Can the hard pull be saved from a declined app? Chase shows me prequalified for another Sapphire (over 24 months), but if I'm declined based on the 5/24 rule, can I apply the same day for a hotel or airline card and have the Experian pulls merged, thus still receiving a value for the hard pull?
7 Citi Execs opened and closed in the last 24 months? Wow. But, yes they do count all cards on the credit report opened in the past 24 months even if they have been since closed.

The merging is done at the bureaus as a way to eliminate duplicates. This usually comes up with BoA which allows many apps in one day, but no reason it wouldn't work with Chase. However Chase can be a bit random on where they pull, so no guarantee they will pull the same bureau both times.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
7 Citi Execs opened and closed in the last 24 months? Wow
I agree, that is a low #, as my DW and I both did that many in 12 months. But consider, that may not mean the OP is a slacker, some people just got started late.

The merging is done at the bureaus as a way to eliminate duplicates. This usually comes up with BoA which allows many apps in one day, but no reason it wouldn't work with Chase. However Chase can be a bit random on where they pull, so no guarantee they will pull the same bureau both times.
Not an expert on this, so I might be wrong. Doesn't it have to be the same exact card to be considered a duplicate? So 2 B of A AS cards would yield one HP, but an IHG app and a SW app would result in 2 HPs, even if Chase pulled the same CB?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo

I applied for both SW personal cards on the same day in January and was auto-approved for both with one hard pull. I applied for the Hyatt and IHG on the same day last week, approved for Hyatt and denied IHG, with one hard pull. You should be ok if you apply for both in the same day.

The only problem you may have would be if the Sapphire app goes to pending and you don't get an immediate decision. "We'll let you know in 7-10 business days" or something like that. If that happens you will need to call recon and get them to make a decision so you'll know if you should apply for another card.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:44 am

Just to clarify, I was approved for the SW personal Plus and the SW personal Premier on the same day with one hard pull. Two different products. I was lucky to get those as I was approved for the Freedom a month earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.