Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, AA peon
Reasoned discussion is one thing. So is satire. Snideness is just disrespectful to everyone else who participates in this thread by posting or reading.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by goldgirl
Reasoned discussion is one thing. So is satire. Snideness is just disrespectful to everyone else who participates in this thread by posting or reading.
There's always the RBP or my preferred solution, the customized ignore list.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, AA peon
Originally Posted by beltway
. . . or my preferred solution, the customized ignore list.
I had no idea we could do that! You have cheered me immensely! Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
How perplexing. The 24-month "rule" is not supposed to be a factor in denial of non-UR cards. Yet Chase specifically cited it as one factor: "denied due to too many accounts in the last 24 months." Doesn't Chase know non-UR cards are strictly excluded from this factor by the wiki—an inerrant source of knowledge.

RNE, suggesting you contact Jamie Dimon forthwith and instruct him to read this thread's wiki. It clearly states exactly how Chase is and is not allowed to function. Inform him that any deviation from the wiki will result in severe chastisement.
You are twisting the facts again. The OP was not denied b/c of the over 5/24 rule, it was only one factor among several in the denial. Without the excess total CCL, the OP would most likely been approved.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:51 am
RNE

Read my remarks again; they expressly address the wiki, not any persons at all. I challenge ideas only.

Last edited by RNE; Aug 22, 2015 at 11:22 am
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by goldgirl
I had no idea we could do that! You have cheered me immensely! Thank you!
For details, see "Dealing with Troublesome Users" in the FlyerTalk FAQ. Note that there's also a shortcut: click on the user's name in any of his/her posts and select "Add [username] to Ignore List."
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by barschools
Data point:

I did a small AOR yesterday and was instantly approved for Hyatt with 27k CL. I have 9 open accounts from 12/14 to 04/15, 3 with Chase. Freedom, SW Plus and SW Premier, all personal. I lowered CL on the Freedom from 20k to 15k and lowered the SW Plus from 19k to 12k and left the SW Premier at its original 12k a couple weeks ago. I was also approved for Cap One Venture for 30k and Fidelity Amex for 18k. I have a 785 Fico and modest 6 figure income.

After the Hyatt approval I went for the IHG figuring I had nothing to lose if they combined the hard pull. Didn't get instant approval and was told to call in. I didn't prepare myself for the call and did a poor job of coming up with reasons for wanting the card other than for its rewards. The rep said everything looked good except for all the recent cards I'd opened and that he was going to pass my app to a senior analyst for further review and a decision would be made in 24 to 48 hours.

I called back a few hours later to suggest lowering the CL on the Hyatt to make room for the IHG and the rep informed my that my app had been denied due to too many open accounts in the last 24 months, too much existing credit with Chase, (which I tried to remedy by lowering the CL on the Hyatt to no avail) and I can't remember the third reason exactly, seems like it was either too much overall credit and/or not enough history with Chase. I'll post when I get the denial letter. The rep said they want to see how things go on my existing cards before issuing anymore new ones. I've only been a Chase customer since 12/14 but I think if I'd said the right things during the phone call I would've been approved. Overall a successful day though.
The way this works is somewhat strange, but I've seen it posted enough, and had it happen to me, to be fairly sure this is quite common. You can lower your CL in advance, give it a few weeks to become available again, and get approved. But if you are over what they want to give you, especially if there are a couple of other worrying factors re your app, they will NOT let you move credit, or reduce credit, to get approved. In fact, they will not even let you completely close one or two cards to get a new one approved. They are stuck on NO, and there is just one reasoning with them.

The movie "ONCE" has a song about it:

Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, suggesting you contact Jamie Dimon forthwith and instruct him to read this thread's wiki. It clearly states exactly how Chase is and is not allowed to function. Inform him that any deviation from the wiki will result in severe chastisement.
Too late, I've updated the wiki the facts. The facts, though, are not that 5/24 no longer is excluded from partner cards. The facts are that at least one person had 5/24 cited as a denial reason when applying for a second partner card immediately after being approved for the first partner card.

You concentrated on the fact that this person get denied for an IHG card, but missed the fact they got approve for a Hyatt card the same day. Chase didn't change their policies between this persons' Hyatt card app and IHG card app. Chase simply didn't like the person "overreaching" on Chase partner cards "too fast". And is that really something new?

There are lots of ways to get a bank "angry" at you. They do not require "new" policies.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
How perplexing. The 24-month "rule" is not supposed to be a factor in denial of non-UR cards. Yet Chase specifically cited it as one factor: "denied due to too many accounts in the last 24 months."

So, now we're supposed to believe what the reps say, RNE? Back when 5/24 was just being discovered you insisted that the reps were unreliable and did not speak for Chase. Now you're backing an unreliable quote from a FT poster (s/he can't remember the third reason, so what makes you sure they got the first quote right?) on what some random CSR said as gospel from Chase?

I'll believe someone was denied for a co-branded (or biz) card under the two year rule when I see that given as the reason on a rejection letter.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:27 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Too late, I've updated the wiki the facts. The facts, though, are not that 5/24 no longer is excluded from partner cards. The facts are that at least one person had 5/24 cited as a denial reason when applying for a second partner card immediately after being approved for the first partner card.
I agree with you on this. It's just one instance of an exception to the rule.

Originally Posted by Sedentary
So, now we're supposed to believe what the reps say, RNE? Back when 5/24 was just being discovered you insisted that the reps were unreliable and did not speak for Chase. Now you're backing an unreliable quote from a FT poster (s/he can't remember the third reason, so what makes you sure they got the first quote right?) on what some random CSR said as gospel from Chase?
I agree with you on this. The comments of a rep are not conclusive.

RNE, the "rule" is unruly.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:43 am

I was denied for an IHG card and the reason given was too many new card accounts in the last two years. I offered to close another to open it and the response was no, that would only add to the number of new accounts and they would not do it. Whether that restriction was 5 or not, I do not know, because I had 20 overall and 6 just with Chase. My personal opinion is that they simply did not want to give me another card (I have 5 personal and 4 business with about $150K limits) and this was the reason they chose so that they could deny it. Nonetheless, it is an example of them denying a co brand card with them citing too many new accounts as the basis for their decision.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I was denied for an IHG card and the reason given was too many new card accounts in the last two years. I offered to close another to open it and the response was no, that would only add to the number of new accounts and they would not do it. Whether that restriction was 5 or not, I do not know, because I had 20 overall and 6 just with Chase. My personal opinion is that they simply did not want to give me another card (I have 5 personal and 4 business with about $150K limits) and this was the reason they chose so that they could deny it. Nonetheless, it is an example of them denying a co brand card with them citing too many new accounts as the basis for their decision.
It's an example of a rep stating that was the reason. What did the letter say?
Better yet, post a picture/scan of the letter (just the paragraphs that shows the card and the reason(s) for denial).
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

What's your total CL with just Chase? I'm wondering if that could be the main reason.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
What's your total CL with just Chase? I'm wondering if that could be the main reason.
As he said,
I have 5 personal and 4 business with about $150K limits
Unless you have a C-suite salary, a 150K CL seems like an engraved invitation to denial of the next app. My guess is that the system auto-denied you because you'd topped out your CL. Having had the 5/24 rule beaten into them recently, the CSRs reflexively cited this very real policy even though it had nothing to do with your initial denial.

The lesson here? Trim excess CL before submitting an application. (A certain flat-earther insists this sort of activity is a red flag to Chase. Ignore him; we have no rational basis for thinking this is even vaguely true.) The good old days when Chase would relent after a denial & let people move CL around are behind us, it appears.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:18 pm

Sorry, really didn't pay any attention to the letter. Like I said, I think they were just looking for a reason to deny me and this is the one that was handy, but thought I should report what was cited as the reason. The rep actually did (or said they did) review it with a supervisor (and they had me on hold long enough, that they certainly should have). As for the limits, I spend a lot of money through them for my company, nearly maxing out two ink card 5x categories with legitimate business expenses, plus considerably more non-bonus spend. They have reviewed my business financials, so they are quite aware of my credit needs.
Just another note that I was approved for an Ink cash card after the 5/24 rule came into effect, although I applied for it before the rule. At the time, I would have had at least 18 new accounts in 24 months, so I am not sure that even this is an absolute rule, at least for business accounts, and that it might just be a "just about all the time rule unless we don't want to follow it". I have found that I seem to be able to get approved for credit cards from most issuers that don't seem to follow "the rules" that FTers have figured out. I think that, for the most part, issuers decide if they want to give you a card or not based on an overall assessment, then figure out reasons for their decision, and if they can cite a "rule" then that works pretty well for them.
My favorite was the AMEX decline for my wife where they cited too many new AMEX accounts in the last few months. The only problem being that she has only opened one new AMEX account in the last year. Then, when I applied for an SPG business AMEX card for her less than a month later, she is approved with a 20K limit. They make a decision, then find an excuse.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Aug 23, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.