Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's a business card, right? Chase is known for being much harder to get business cards than, say, Citi or Amex, in that Chase tends to often ask a lot of questions when you try to open a business card (or your second Chase business card), while Citi and Amex.....
Yeah on top of that also just applied same day for Citi TY Premier and got 24hr check back message or they would send us mail in 1 week. What the hell is going on? Just checked and credit score is within a couple points for the past few months...still almost 770. She makes good money. This is really discouraging getting into the points game and having both great credit and good income. Is the 91+ day strategy no longer valid for those just getting into AOR and now has increased to a larger number or ? She has zero late payments on both SW Cards and the AMEX. In fact a couple we paid midway and at cutting of the monthly invoice. Really not sure if I should apply for my AOR yet or not given time frame is same as hers...just under 120 days. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gecko777; Aug 13, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gecko777
Yeah on top of that also just applied same day for Citi TY Premier and got 24hr check back message or they would send us mail in 1 week. What the hell is going on? Just checked and credit score is within a couple points for the past few months...still almost 770. She makes good money. This is really discouraging getting into the points game and having both great credit and good income. Is the 91+ day strategy no longer valid for those just getting into AOR and now has increased to a larger number or ? She has zero late payments on both SW Cards and the AMEX. In fact a couple we paid midway and at cutting of the monthly invoice. Really not sure if I should apply for my AOR yet or not given time frame is same as hers...just under 120 days. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, but you got into the game just as it started to grind to a near halt.

Just look at the various FT threads, and see how many, or actually how few, posts are being put up now compared to a year ago. It used to be that many of the threads I follow would have several pages of new posts every day. Now most of them have maybe 3 or 4 new posts a day, and some go a day or two without any new posts at all. Especially if you check for posts with new content, as opposed to newby questions that are answered in the wiki.

In the past all the banks were battling for market share, and would try to outdo each other giving out cards. Citi would give you 2 100K AA mile cards with simultaneous apps. B of A would give you 5 AS cards the same day.

Then AMEX went to once in a lifetime, and that seemed to slow down the frenzy somewhat. Followed by Barclays going to one or two per year. Then Chase started cracking down, first on Bus cards, then drastically on UR cards. Now Citi is following up with rather intense scrutiny on ordinary personal cards, even for people with decades long history with them. And no bonus if you have opened, or even CLOSED, the same type of card in the last 18 months.

In little over a year, we've gone from who can issue the most cards to who can issue the least cards.

How this all translates into bottom line profits, much less market share and projected growth, is beyond me.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCoconut
However, after reading some posts here and in other places, I became cautious. It looks like Chase can close the newly opened account after I apply for other credit cards
Originally Posted by FlyingCoconut
So, I looked through the relevant posts here, but could not find any convencing information about it.
You say you read posts about this here, then you say that you couldn't find convincing information here? I'm a little confused.

I haven't seen reports of Chase cards getting closed after already being approved for that reason. It's safe to say many folks here have a CSP and have far more than 5 apps sharing the same credit report. As long as you are regularly spending on the card, I don't see why Chase would have a problem with keeping it open.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Sorry, but you got into the game just as it started to grind to a near halt.

Just look at the various FT threads, and see how many, or actually how few, posts are being put up now compared to a year ago. It used to be that many of the threads I follow would have several pages of new posts every day. Now most of them have maybe 3 or 4 new posts a day, and some go a day or two without any new posts at all. Especially if you check for posts with new content, as opposed to newby questions that are answered in the wiki.

In the past all the banks were battling for market share, and would try to outdo each other giving out cards. Citi would give you 2 100K AA mile cards with simultaneous apps. B of A would give you 5 AS cards the same day.

Then AMEX went to once in a lifetime, and that seemed to slow down the frenzy somewhat. Followed by Barclays going to one or two per year. Then Chase started cracking down, first on Bus cards, then drastically on UR cards. Now Citi is following up with rather intense scrutiny on ordinary personal cards, even for people with decades long history with them. And no bonus if you have opened, or even CLOSED, the same type of card in the last 18 months.

In little over a year, we've gone from who can issue the most cards to who can issue the least cards.

How this all translates into bottom line profits, much less market share and projected growth, is beyond me.
Thanks for the longer-term POV. I just started doing this 8 months ago, so the current terrain seems normal to me. I hadn't read about any of it previous to starting, and I'm actually amazed, and grateful, each time I'm approved. The rewards really do help me out and are so much more than I would expect. It's such a nice change of pace from when I lived in Spain - you had to pay the bank each month for the privilege of them holding your money, even when it was in the 20K range!! I never understood that.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:39 am

Well you have to spend the minimum amount to get the sign-up bonus, so I would decide on how many cards to apply for, and when, based on your spending patterns. Why would Chase shut you down in the middle of your minimum spend activities anyway?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gecko777
What is going on is that things are slowing down significantly. Banks are no longer competing like they once were and as a result the bonuses and rewards are decreasing. I don't think its a permanent thing, the points and miles game has gone in cycles, but this is the first time in several years that instead of just applying for every card I want, I'm actually having to prioritize since I know I can't have them all.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
There have been reports of Chase denying credit card applications due to too many accounts opened in the last 2 years, but once approved you should be good to go.

The only shut down reports I've heard are:
1) No spending on the card for a long period of time
2) Consistently hitting the credit limit (ie excessive manufactured spend)
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Data Point

Just wanted to add to the data points, as they've been helpful to me.

10 applied/approved cards the in the past 24 months thru 3 different agencies.
2 Open Chase cards - Ritz and Ink (I do put a little spend on both).
4 Closed Chase cards in past 2 years - UA, Hyatt, Fairmont and Ink Bold.
1 AU on a Freedom.

I wanted to apply for a CSP (not exactly sure why I didn't get one earlier ), but decided not to, based on information in this thread. I went ahead and applied for Marriott 80K offer. I got an instant approval for large CL.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
You say you read posts about this here, then you say that you couldn't find convincing information here? I'm a little confused.
I meant that I had read a few of such posts before, but it was related to the previous year in the other forum:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...o/td-p/3707637

By saying that I cannot find anything convincing I mean there is nothing in the wiki and corresponding thread related to shut-downs.

Anyway, thank you very much for replies. Looks like everything should be fine

I am aware of the spending limit. I am going to apply for the Citi card in a few months after the CSP, but was afraid that it could somehow trigger the automatic shut-down of the Chase account.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:29 pm

Adding a data point that may or may not be useful:
Applied for 10 cards in 2014
Applied for 4 cards in 2015
Right Now I have 3 Ink cards, 1 Freedom, 1 IHG, 1 United Personal cards with Chase open.
Applied for United Biz card on July 31st and got the pending "2 weeks" message on the automated line.
Day 14: Message changed to "we will inform you in writing within 7 to 10 days"

I will update this again once I receive something in the mail.

Last edited by unkn0wns0ldier; Aug 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:09 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Chancensam
I wanted to apply for a CSP (not exactly sure why I didn't get one earlier ), but decided not to, based on information in this thread.
So, in effect, you turned yourself down for the CSP card. Thus the 5/24 canard is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

RNE, this is why we're getting skewed data; success can't be reported if it's not even attempted.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by BrownChickenBrownCow
First Post because I'm usually just a lurker on here. However, here is my tale of Chase woe.

Just started the "card hobby" this year but I've been a Chase cardholder since 2006. I opened up a Marriott card in November of last year and a Ritz in early February...that's it, a total of 3 Chase credit cards, one of which I cancelled when I opened the Ritz.

I attempted to apply for the Hyatt card this past week and was given the "Thank you for applying..." response. Called in for an immediate review, told the rep that I travel a lot for work and wanted to start staying at Hyatt on certain trips. She asked me why I was seeking credit right now, and that I had just opened a card in February with them. I explained again that I have to expense work trips and this would be a great card for travel. She took another long break to review, then came back and responded that she could not give me anymore credit at this time. I asked if we could reallocate funds from my other Chase cards so that I could open this card. She again said that they were not willing to open any more accounts with me right now.

I applied for a Citi ThankYou card the next day, then a Citi HHonors card two days later...was approved for both.

When I received my "rejection letter" from Chase in the mail, it stated that I had "too many credit inquiries" on record and "too many accounts". I have a total of seven credit cards (including the two new Citi cards) and they had my FICO at 760.

For me, I'll not be wasting anymore hard pulls on Chase.
Wow. So many similarities. (Except I never had a Ritz card.) Same card choice, same questions, turn down. Same reason for need, ie, work related expenses. High score.

I did mention I wanted a beach getaway (Clearwater Hyatt).

Hmmm, maybe that was it...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
So, in effect, you turned yourself down for the CSP card. Thus the 5/24 canard is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

RNE, this is why we're getting skewed data; success can't be reported if it's not even attempted.
It's been attempted, with a 100% failure rate. The whole reason for FT is so that we don't all have to make the same mistake.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Applied for United Biz card on July 31st and got the pending "2 weeks" message on the automated line.
Day 14: Message changed to "we will inform you in writing within 7 to 10 days"
Does this mean the wiki is wrong when it says
note: automated line responses stating they will notify you in 2 weeks often result in an approval; automated lines responses stating they will notify you in 7-10 days often result in a denial.
I am particularly curious as I applied for the Ink+ wednesday and am currently hearing the "approximately two weeks" message
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
Has anyone ever heard a 30 day message when calling the automated line?
Yes, I have. And based on my personal experience (application status immediately after apply was "call number to speak with a rep"), that status simply means that they need some manual review and they have not yet made a decision on it yet. It is definitely NOT a denial yet (nor approval), but I think they need a manual review before decision can be rendered.

FWIW, My app was approved a couple of days later. I'd imagine if it had denied, it would change into "You will be notified of our decision in 2 weeks" or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.