Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Sedentary
The closer together the hard pulls are, the more likely they are to be combined. Remember, it's the CRA's that combine the pulls, not Chase.

So, unless you get instant approval for the CSP, I'd recommend doing the second app immediately.
As far as I know this rule ONLY applies to lines of credit extended for things like auto's and mortgage's, and it does NOT apply to credit card's. Therefore I highly doubt the CRA's would combine the pulls even if done within seconds of each other. I could be wrong but I do not see why this policy would change without announcement.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:29 pm

The closer together the hard pulls are, the more likely they are to be combined. Remember, it's the CRA's that combine the pulls, not Chase.

So, unless you get instant approval for the CSP, I'd recommend doing the second app immediately.
The second application should generate another hard pull. If both applications are in the same day, and Chase pulls from the same credit bureau for both, they should be combined into one by the next business day.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:34 pm

I'm aware that business CC inquiries are treated a little differently than personal CCs, but is having too many business CC inquiries, even with other banks besides Chase, a reason for denial? I don't want to ruin my chances of getting the SW cards when I'm eligible for the signup bonuses again, but there's a few good business card bonuses right now and I'd like to snag one if it's not too risky. Since I have 4 business apps in the last year and a half (3 with Chase - 1 active; 1 with Citi, active), I'm wondering if that would be pushing it, or if they don't treat approvals/denials for business apps any differently than personal cards, in which case I'd be in good shape...after the phone interrogation of my business operations of course. I use my SSN as the EIN for my sole prop if it makes any difference.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
As far as I know this rule ONLY applies to lines of credit extended for things like auto's and mortgage's, and it does NOT apply to credit card's. Therefore I highly doubt the CRA's would combine the pulls even if done within seconds of each other. I could be wrong but I do not see why this policy would change without announcement.
Multiple pulls from the same credit card company on the same day have been combined for years. There is no change in policy, here.

Aside from my personal experience having pulls combined from CapOne, Barclay's, Chase and AMEX, you can check the following reference-

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/card-i...ullsinquiries/
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:35 am

Multiple pulls from the same credit card company on the same day have been combined for years. There is no change in policy, here.

Aside from my personal experience having pulls combined from CapOne, Barclay's, Chase and AMEX, you can check the following reference-

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/card-i...ullsinquiries/
Thank you for that. As you can see its not the CRA that combines hard pulls, but the issuing bank that does. This is an important distinction because the CRA ONLY will combine pulls (in terms of impact on credit score) for Mortgage's + Auto Loans, etc within 14 days usually. I think we were talking about two different things here!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:48 am

Another data point to add...

12 cards opened in the last two years, 2 in the past six months (Citi Premier and Delta platinum AMEX). Only two cards presently open with Chase (Freedom since 2011, CSP since 2013) although I previously had opened and closed United Mileage Plus and BA Avios. Total credit line with Chase is around 30k.

FICO around 770. Annual income only in the mid-high five figures.

Had wanted to apply for the United again (first ever churn) and had just passed the two year limit on my miles posting. Also wanted the Hyatt, first time for that card.

Applied on 8/7 first to Hyatt - immediate approval with a 5k limit. Was a little worried about taking the risk for the United, but applied to that again immediately after (through a link on my United account to get the 55k bonus) and was also immediately approved for a 5k limit. Phew!

To the point of the recent discussion about credit hits, it only showed up as one hard pull on my report. Got really lucky with everything, and I'm quite happy, but thank you for all of the advice!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for that. As you can see its not the CRA that combines hard pulls, but the issuing bank that does. This is an important distinction because the CRA ONLY will combine pulls (in terms of impact on credit score) for Mortgage's + Auto Loans, etc within 14 days usually. I think we were talking about two different things here!
You may be talking about two different things, but you're mistaken about the credit card side.

What happens is that the credit card inquiry comes into the bureau without any specifics of what card it's for. It simply mentions the bank (and its division, in some cases). So what happens when a CRA gets two seemingly-identical-looking-enough inquiries hit from the same division of the same bank on the same day, the combine them on the chance that they might duplicates of each other (and they don't want to put duplicates onto your credit report, since they know that can hurt you).

So it does happen at the CRA end, not the bank end, for credit cards, but it's not intentional, but rather an accident of the way inquires are processed and what seems "less risky" to the CRA to do (to delete possible "duplicates" rather than to hold on to what may be "duplicates").

However: You can't depend on it without knowing when the bank sends the inquiry and whether that specific bank has different "divisions" (as far as the CRA is concerned) and how they line up.

(I doubt anyone ever applies for two mortgages or two auto loans from the same institution on the same day, just trying to get more rewards. So it's only in the realm of credit cards that this issue of the CRA seeing what may or may not be "duplicates" tends to come up. I don't think you can use parallels from mortgage and/or auto CRA processing thus as a good parallel for this particular "loophole".)

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 10, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:53 am

Has anyone ever heard a 30 day message when calling the automated line?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
For the ones that have the "5/24" issue, shouldn't you already have most of the freedom/csp/ink by now? If you're wanting seconds, why not just go for one of the many other stellar Chase co-branded cards?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:32 am

sdsearch did a great job of explaining in detail above. But, from the link I posted (right near the top)-

"Update: As numerous people in the comments have pointed out, it’s not actually the credit card issuers combining multiple pulls, it’s credit bureaus."
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
For the ones that have the "5/24" issue, shouldn't you already have most of the freedom/csp/ink by now? If you're wanting seconds, why not just go for one of the many other stellar Chase co-branded cards?
Probably because many people find that UR points have greater utility than points locked into individual programs such as Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:16 am

sdsearch did a great job of explaining in detail above. But, from the link I posted (right near the top)-

"Update: As numerous people in the comments have pointed out, it’s not actually the credit card issuers combining multiple pulls, it’s credit bureaus."
Thank you and sdsearch for correcting me, I guess we really do learn something new every day As much as I thought I knew about credit I did not realize the bureaus did this!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:26 am

Complicated attempt at Chase Ink Plus

So with the new rules of 5 cards in the last 24 months (with any bank) making you ineligible for Chase branded credit cards I wanted to layout this scenario for people with more experience.

I recently opened the Delta Amex Gold and the Chase United Explorer cards. My 4th and 5th in the last 24 months. So, I believe this would disqualify me (I didn't know this rule). However, I have not yet received the United Explorer card and am wondering if there is a way to cancel it or ask to switch the credit line to Chase Ink Plus. Anyone have suggestion? Please let me know as I would have to wait til June 2016 to appy for Chase Ink Plus (and I don't see that happening).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You may be talking about two different things, but you're mistaken about the credit card side.

What happens is that the credit card inquiry comes into the bureau without any specifics of what card it's for. It simply mentions the bank (and its division, in some cases). So what happens when a CRA gets two seemingly-identical-looking-enough inquiries hit from the same division of the same bank on the same day, the combine them on the chance that they might duplicates of each other (and they don't want to put duplicates onto your credit report, since they know that can hurt you).

So it does happen at the CRA end, not the bank end, for credit cards, but it's not intentional, but rather an accident of the way inquires are processed and what seems "less risky" to the CRA to do (to delete possible "duplicates" rather than to hold on to what may be "duplicates").

However: You can't depend on it without knowing when the bank sends the inquiry and whether that specific bank has different "divisions" (as far as the CRA is concerned) and how they line up.

(I doubt anyone ever applies for two mortgages or two auto loans from the same institution on the same day, just trying to get more rewards. So it's only in the realm of credit cards that this issue of the CRA seeing what may or may not be "duplicates" tends to come up. I don't think you can use parallels from mortgage and/or auto CRA processing thus as a good parallel for this particular "loophole".)
Exactly!

A few years ago for a long time, Citi had 2 addresses just off by a digit of PO Box, looked just like a transposed of numbers - AND the pulls never got combined by the CRAs because the addresses were not IDENTICAL. Eventually Citi fixed that address error and the pulls were combined, again, by CRAs.

Another point worth to point out is, Chase does NOT always pull from same CRA. Plus Chase sometimes pulls from TWO CRAs on same card applicaiton. Many have reported these happenings, and this household has experienced BOTH such scenarios as well.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:55 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by beltway
Probably because many people find that UR points have greater utility than points locked into individual programs such as Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, etc.
On that we agree.

RNE, holder of a full complement of UR-earning cards. So's the missus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.