Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:26 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Sedentary
Bit of revisionist history there.
Revision has certainly been manifest, but it's not my doing.

• In the beginning, all was void and without form.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal created The Rule to encompass all. And the Cabal saw that it was good.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal separated the UR from the non-UR. And the Cabal saw that it was only so-so.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal separated the business from the non-business. And the Cabal saw that it was not so good.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal separated the targeted-offer from the non-targeted offer. And the Cabal saw an eye doctor.

RNE, amen.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
How long is this back and forth about rules for UR cards vs. non-UR cards going to continue?
The over/under is 4 years, 8 months, 12 days, 37 minutes, and 7 seconds.

BTW, my money is on the over...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brugge
The over/under is 4 years, 8 months, 12 days, 37 minutes, and 7 seconds.

BTW, my money is on the over...
I call a Push.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:12 pm
RNE

Ask yourselves: How many bonus miles and points do I personally not have now because I was convinced not to apply for a credit card? Add them up and that's the staggering cost you personally paid. And for what? A theory?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sedentary
So much for your precision of language. Slate is a non-UR card and has been restricted since the inception of the new rule in mid-May.
So Slate earns nothing at all? That's the fact I didn't know. I assumed all Chase-branded cards would earn UR, because who want an expensive card that earns nothing at all? And I've never heard of another Chase-specific earning system other than UR.

And multiple people have been posting "UR" and "Chase-branded" as interchangeable terms for weeks in this thread, with nary a correction before now, so I assumed that all was good for equating them.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Yes you're right but traditionally Chase has never denied CCs based on too many inquiries of the other kinds you mentioned (TV, cell phone, etc) as long as you have a high credit score (750+)
However now we're seeing more rejections for co-branded cards because of "too many inquiries" ... anyway I'm hoping you guys are right so I get my approval but when I get the letter I will report back my findings.
You have to understand what "too many inquiries" really means. It can only mean "too many inquiries on the bureau(s) we pulled". Unless the bank pulls all three bureaus, they cannot really see all inquiries.

On the other hand, the apparent 5/24 policy is based on new accounts showing up on your credit report. That is not exactly even a subset of pulls, because, for example, it may not include certain kinds of accounts (for example, some cards don't report to credit bureaus) even though pulls may have been generated when applying for those accounts.

So some cards may generate pulls while not showing up on credit reports, and some other cards may show up on credit reports but pull from a bureau that Chase doesn't check.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So Slate earns nothing at all? That's the fact I didn't know. I assumed all Chase-branded cards would earn UR, because who want an expensive card that earns nothing at all? And I've never heard of another Chase-specific earning system other than UR.

And multiple people have been posting "UR" and "Chase-branded" as interchangeable terms for weeks in this thread, with nary a correction before now, so I assumed that all was good for equating them.
Correct, no rewards program at all. What makes Slate unique is what it DOESNT do:

No AF
0% for 15 months on balance transfers
0% for 15 months on purchases
$0 balance transfer fee (for transfers made within 60 days)

So a great card for people who carry balances, and a lousy card for those of us who don't....
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Ask yourselves: How many bonus miles and points do I personally not have now because I was convinced not to apply for a credit card? Add them up and that's the staggering cost you personally paid. And for what? A theory?
I don't think anyone is saying not to apply... the Wiki simply states that your chances of approval are significantly lowered, especially for UR cards, by "5/24." There may or may not be some issues with non-UR cards as well....
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You have to understand what "too many inquiries" really means. It can only mean "too many inquiries on the bureau(s) we pulled". Unless the bank pulls all three bureaus, they cannot really see all inquiries.

On the other hand, the apparent 5/24 policy is based on new accounts showing up on your credit report. That is not exactly even a subset of pulls, because, for example, it may not include certain kinds of accounts (for example, some cards don't report to credit bureaus) even though pulls may have been generated when applying for those accounts.

So some cards may generate pulls while not showing up on credit reports, and some other cards may show up on credit reports but pull from a bureau that Chase doesn't check.
^^^
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
I don't think anyone is saying not to apply... the Wiki simply states that your chances of approval are significantly lowered, especially for UR cards, by "5/24." There may or may not be some issues with non-UR cards as well....
This is exactly the point. RNE seems to think a hard pull isn't too much of an issue and shouldn't be feared even when denied because of a small chance of approval. I agree if you are an average consumer that opens 1 or 2 cards every year, however for most of us, every inquiry reduces chances of approval for other cards. If we open 6-10 cards every couple of months, every inquiry counts especially for Citi! I would rather not waste a hard pull if I have a significantly decreased chance of approval as it reduces chances of approval from other banks.

I found out the hard way when applying for the Slate card in May for both my wife and I. Luckily in July I was able to push through a Hyatt through a senior rep but it was probably my hardest approval yet. Don't think I will apply to more Chase cards any time soon, I am going to take advantage of all the other sign up offers from the other banks. Not worth the inquiry/hassle in my opinion at the moment.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by RNE
Revision has certainly been manifest, but it's not my doing.

• In the beginning, all was void and without form.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal created The Rule to encompass all. And the Cabal saw that it was good.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal separated the UR from the non-UR. And the Cabal saw that it was only so-so.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal separated the business from the non-business. And the Cabal saw that it was not so good.
  • Then, lo, the Cabal separated the targeted-offer from the non-targeted offer. And the Cabal saw an eye doctor.

RNE, amen.

These are all revisions of an initial general theory, which make the theory more specific and therefore more accurate. That is how an online community tends to work - kind of like a crowd-sourced scientific method: the accumulation of individual observations leads to the elimination of false hypotheses, and what remains is a revised theory that has empirical validity. Indeed, the revised theory remains unchallenged by data: there are still no (or at least exceedingly few) reports of people successfully opening Chase-only-branded non-business cards (e.g., CSP, Freedom and Slate) when their credit reports show more than 5 cards opened in the last 24 months.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
This is exactly the point. RNE seems to think a hard pull isn't too much of an issue and shouldn't be feared even when denied because of a small chance of approval. I agree if you are an average consumer that opens 1 or 2 cards every year, however for most of us, every inquiry reduces chances of approval for other cards. If we open 6-10 cards every couple of months, every inquiry counts especially for Citi! I would rather not waste a hard pull if I have a significantly decreased chance of approval as it reduces chances of approval from other banks.
How many HPs/year would you think starts becoming problematic? And for how long?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:57 am
rev

I've never been able to find out if this was fact or not beyond a few peoples' comments a while ago hinting at it might be true. Is there a rule with Chase (or any bank) that says you can't downgrade/convert a new credit card within 12 months of opening it?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rev
I've never been able to find out if this was fact or not beyond a few peoples' comments a while ago hinting at it might be true. Is there a rule with Chase (or any bank) that says you can't downgrade/convert a new credit card within 12 months of opening it?
I've heard that the relatively new consumer law in the USA regarding credit cards makes making certain changes to a card within 12 months of opening difficult for banks. But what the specifics are, I'm not sure.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest

I was just told by a Chase Rep that they can not see any cards we have had past 6 months because everything is purged. I had called to see if I had the Marriott Business card before because I had the personal Marriott Card before but didn't think I ever had the Marriott Business card & wanted to verify that I would definitely get the sign up bonus & they did verify in process that I would get the sign up bonus. When I asked how many chase cards I had in 2015 they could only see 1 card that I had & canceled 3 months ago. Could this be correct? or just a rep that didn't know what they were talking about.

Last edited by slicktraveler; Aug 20, 2015 at 1:57 pm Reason: spelling correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.