Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973
If the number of new credit cards plus new authorized user cards is more than 5 in the past 24 months, there's almost no chance Chase will approve her, as per what has become known as Chase's "5/24 rule."
I personally have overcome the 5/24 rule 3 times by escalating the call to a manager and getting them to ignore the AU cards.

My key phrase has been - My wife and I manage our finances separately and I only included my income on the application. Each time approved!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:04 pm

I applied for 2 chase SW personal cards and iam waiting for decision. This is after the recent AOR with 6 accounts and my score is in 690s range.

But for the past 4 weeks iam continuously getting pre qualified offer for CSP in the mail.

First 40000 points offer and now 50000 points offers. I already have freedom with them and that was main card till the recent AOR and i stopped using it afterwards.

Dont know whether chase is doing a soft pull on my report and sending prequal offer or just to make sure iam using chase cards they have sent this prequal offer or not.

I dont have any interest in applying CSP now , i just hope 2 sw personal cards are approved.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:20 pm

UA Business

I was not approved for business UA cc today. 10 new cc this year, 18 last year. Credit score over 840. Should I wait 6 months before my next application for any other cards or just Chase?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nash14
I was not approved for business UA cc today. 10 new cc this year, 18 last year. Credit score over 840. Should I wait 6 months before my next application for any other cards or just Chase?
As of a few months ago, Chase was extremely stringent about not letting you have more than one business card open at a time, unless you have high revenue. It was possible to close the 1st card and open the 2nd, but you couldn't have them at the same time, in most cases. Do you already have a Chase biz card?

Also by "not approved" do you mean you received the denial letter?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Originally Posted by italdesign
As of a few months ago, Chase was extremely stringent about not letting you have more than one business card open at a time, unless you have high revenue. It was possible to close the 1st card and open the 2nd, but you couldn't have them at the same time, in most cases. Do you already have a Chase biz card?
I just received my third business card from Chase today in the past two years, so it is possible (sales of 600k annually, net income of around 100.)

Last edited by mia; Nov 26, 2015 at 6:47 am Reason: Formatting
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:33 am

I had exactly 5 new credit cards opened in the last 2 years, was approved for chase sapphire preferred today instantly. I applied in the branch.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Purely coincidence, indeed. There's no way these banks make money from churners. I'm astonished they haven't cracked down much more than they have.
Not sure if it's purely coincidence, at least regarding Target. I rarely used to go to TGT before RB and my guess is that total purchases before RB were just around $200 over 15 years. During the six to nine months of RB, I spent around $2,000. So, at least when it comes to RB, it may have been a fantastic loss leader. Since RB went debit only, I have not stepped my foot inside TGT and moved back to my old ways of shopping -- Amazon, Whole Foods, Ralphs.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jediwho
Not sure if it's purely coincidence, at least regarding Target. I rarely used to go to TGT before RB and my guess is that total purchases before RB were just around $200 over 15 years. During the six to nine months of RB, I spent around $2,000. So, at least when it comes to RB, it may have been a fantastic loss leader. Since RB went debit only, I have not stepped my foot inside TGT and moved back to my old ways of shopping -- Amazon, Whole Foods, Ralphs.
If they were making money, they wouldn't have cracked down. It's as simple as that. Nothing these mega-corporations do is on a whim.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:31 am

I applied for SW Premier and UnitedPlus as i was getting targeted for these cards anway. Chase denied for UnitedPlus citing that too many Inquiries and Too Many Credit Cards Open. With 6 Inquiries in the last 6 month. and asked me to wait for the mail for SW Premier and they said the application is still in Pending Stage and cannot say if its approved or denied.

For the United, what is the best time to re-apply ? After 6 months ? or wait till few Inquiries drop of 12 months mark .?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by thershope
I applied for SW Premier and UnitedPlus as i was getting targeted for these cards anway. Chase denied for UnitedPlus citing that too many Inquiries and Too Many Credit Cards Open. With 6 Inquiries in the last 6 month. and asked me to wait for the mail for SW Premier and they said the application is still in Pending Stage and cannot say if its approved or denied.

For the United, what is the best time to re-apply ? After 6 months ? or wait till few Inquiries drop of 12 months mark .?

Did u called them ? or got the response in the mail ?

I too applied for SW Premier and Plus cards and waiting for decision. I am also having around 6 inquiries and 5 + accounts opened recently in the last 3 months.

I am just waiting for the decision in letter and then will call if it is not in my favour. I hope SW cards are having less rules.

BTW iam getting pre qual offers for CSP cards for the past 4 weeks. Dont know whether chase did any soft check on my report or not.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by thershope
Chase denied for UnitedPlus citing that too many Inquiries and Too Many Credit Cards Open. With 6 Inquiries in the last 6 month.
Did they tell you that during a Recon call?

If so, ( I'm assuming you have been reading the last several weeks of this thread) you may have been denied for "too many phone calls".
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:23 pm
Suspended

I can't believe the number of people getting denied co-branded cards because of inquiries, and I can't imagine the Uniteds and Hyatts are happy about it. For people whose only credit sin is too many inquiries, you'd think it would be better for all parties to issue a $1,000 MileagePlus card or a $1,000 Hyatt card rather than it be a $5,000+ or bust type of thing.

Personally, I'd rather have a $2,000 MileagePlus and a $2,000 Hyatt and a $2,000 IHG than one $6,000 card for any of the preceding.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

I can't believe the number of people getting denied co-branded cards because of inquiries, and I can't imagine the Uniteds and Hyatts are happy about it. For people whose only credit sin is too many inquiries, you'd think it would be better for all parties to issue a $1,000 MileagePlus card or a $1,000 Hyatt card rather than it be a $5,000+ or bust type of thing.

Personally, I'd rather have a $2,000 MileagePlus and a $2,000 Hyatt and a $2,000 IHG than one $6,000 card for any of the preceding.
You raise a good point. If Chase is denying too many new co-branded cards then Hyatt, United, and Southwest may take their business elsewhere once the contract expires.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:03 am

Data point

Applied for 2 SW personal cards ( Premier 50 k , Plus 50k ) on Nov 23. I applied for these 2 after opening 6 accounts in the past 2 months. Total inquiries in past 2 years - around 10. Score was around 690 when applied. Got a message to call after applying. Waited till today.

Approved for both the cards. Hurray !!!!!. I can see the accounts online

I think the scrutiny is for United cards. Southwest must be lenient .

Anyhow free air ride for next 2 years.......
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by odin99
congrats. great timing. FYI, southwest shopping portal is awarding 1100pts if you sign up for 2mo WSJ subscription for $1. hopefully that's still available come jan.
sorry for off-topic
Thanks man. Ill look into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.