Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Say what? I was approved for a second Marriott card on August 30th, (first one closed over 24 months ago), with @9 cards opened in the past 6 MONTHS. I've probably opened and quickly closed that many AA EXEC cards alone in the past 2 years. I was voted 'Churner of the Month' in my neighborhood last year. Chase didn't ask me to call in. They took around 2 weeks to approve the app, then gave me a healthy CL.
As it says in the Wiki, Chase seems to apply a stricter standard where its Ultimate Rewards cards (such as Sapphire and Freedom) are concerned. I too have many more cards opened and closed than my wife and I was approved instantly for a UA card recently. I'm not going to bother applying for Sapphire, but I do have to figure out to do with my Ink Bold Plus that is coming for renewal shortly and I have 88k UR points in my acct.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Say what? I was approved for a second Marriott card on August 30th, (first one closed over 24 months ago), with @9 cards opened in the past 6 MONTHS. I've probably opened and quickly closed that many AA EXEC cards alone in the past 2 years. I was voted 'Churner of the Month' in my neighborhood last year. Chase didn't ask me to call in. They took around 2 weeks to approve the app, then gave me a healthy CL.
Co-branded cards are typically much easier to get than an issuer's flagship cards. In a sense, the banks are churning customers with the affiliate — fresh sign-up bonus from affiliate, etc. — just like the customers are churning the cards.

Everyone is always more lax with other people's money than with their own.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
Is it fair to characterize the difficulty of getting approved (either auto or wait out) is: Ink+ > UA biz > BA (easiest)

assuming a very small business?
I would think that the difficulty is simply biz > personal.

And thus Ink+ (biz) = UA biz, but Ink+ (biz) > BA personal and UA biz > BA personal.

In other words, none of these cards have a real 5/24 issue. The additional difficultly of business cards is related to them being business cards*, not whether they're Chase UR business cards or partner business cards.

* Unlike some other banks (like Citi and Amex the bank), Chase seems to care a whole lot more who applies for a business card. (At those other banks, pretending you have a [sole proprietorship] business tends to be good enough.)
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Probably, yes.

There seems to be quite a bit of evidence that Chase doesn't like to be the first bank to give someone a $5,000 CL. Chase also counts new AU cards within the past 2 years, so that could also be an issue. You might want to pare down her list of AU cards to five or fewer, keeping the oldest of them, and then try again.

If no luck with Chase, Amex seems to be much more open to thin profiles. (If your wife burned Amex in the recent past and she's on their blacklist, they won't even pull her credit; she'll get auto-denied after clicking "submit" on the app.)
+1 on these data points. Chase seems to want people who have (a) a somewhat established credit history preferably with (b) at least one limit at or around $5k.

When I was a freshman in college, I got a little overexcited and decided to apply for the CSP. At that point, I had a reasonably high score, but only about six months credit history and a high limit of $2000. Denied even after recon.

Fast forward 6-8 months, I had built my history a bit, got credit line increases on my existing cards whenever possible, and resubmitted apps for the CSP / Freedom after about three months without an inquiry. Approved for both with my highest limits on any card(s). Applying for Chase cards is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, especially these days.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:49 am

No more than 2 cards every 30 days

Originally Posted by viag8
Applied today for CSP, then a few minutes later for Freedom. Both times got instantly approved. I had 5 new cards in the last 24 months, 2 of them were AU. Credit score 750+ and it is my first card ever with Chase.

Should I try to apply for a third one? I can handle the spend requirements of the 3 cards. Any recommendations for a good third card?
Datapoint: Reconsideration agent said you can't be approved for more than 2 cards in a 30-day period.

After being approved for CSP and Freedom in one day, I decided to go for the Marriott card the same day, and got the "your application is being reviewed" message. I called the recon line and got told no more than 2 cards in 30 days, even after I insisited that I didn't need adiditonal credit, and that reallocation of the already approved credit line among the 3 cards would be enough.

Interestingly, the agent said to call again at the 30 day mark for resconsideration, and that I didn't need to apply again. I'll try to call and report back.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Recently applied for the SW Plus Personal card and received a pending decision. Called recon and she stated that I had to wait 30 days for a decision to be made. She said there was no option for it to be manually reviewed. Is this common now? In the last 4 years this has yet to happen with me when calling Chase recon.

No chase apps since April...

Last edited by nakataboi; Dec 7, 2015 at 11:05 am
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:42 pm

A recent experience: my wife applied for the IHC Chase card with 70000 signup points, and was not immediately approved -- indeed, the suggestion was made to call Chase. She currently holds 3 Chase cards, including United, Sapphire, and Fairmont.

Instead, we just ignored the whole thing. After about 2 weeks, she was approved, with $10,000 of credit limit removed from an existing card, and the new IHC card approved for $15,000. No call was made by Chase to arrange this -- it was just done, which is great.

Independently, we have also sent a letter to Chase to request reduction on her existing United card from $31,000 to $10,000. My thought is that large credit limits are an impediment to granting of future cards, in my wife's case.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by nakataboi
Recently applied for the SW Plus Personal card and received a pending decision. Called recon and she stated that I had to wait 30 days for a decision to be made. She said there was no option for it to be manually reviewed. Is this common now? In the last 4 years this has yet to happen with me when calling Chase recon.

No chase apps since April...
Calling in seems very suspicious, and they have to do a few more weeks of investigation based on the fact that you called. If you hadn't called, it would most likely been approved in around 10 days.

And no, I'm not joking, as weird as it may sound.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:03 pm

data point

8 open chase cards (only 1 of which is biz)

12 new cards in last 12 months (4 of them with chase), just approved for United Biz and second citi platinum in miniapporama. United biz took 3 days to get approved without call in

total for the year 850k miles, 70k Marriott, and $650 for new phone.

It has been a productive 2015.

Thank you flyertalk.

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Dec 8, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, IHG, HH
A data point: After submitting the Hyatt app, reached the "Please call us as soon as possible..." screen. I called in twice - rejected both times.
CS 809. Most recent Chase applications: Jan 2015 (1) (Fairmont, open), Dec 2013 (2) (IHG, open; BA, closed), Oct 2013 (2) (Sapphire, closed; Ink, open). Considerable cash in Chase bank accounts.
Rejected for too many recent apps. The 2nd rep listed the number of accounts opened over the last 3 years starting in 2015 (7, 6, 7) and stated that the average consumer opens 2-3 per year. Also said that they had extended the max credit to me (which I don't believe, but you may choose to disagree). The rep also stated that Chase was concerned about the “abuse” of sign-up bonuses. Though presented in a manner that did not specifically accuse me, I got the hint.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:13 am

applied for BA Visa - got decision pending..

last application (which was instant approved) was on Sept 4.. hope I didn't keep it too close to the 3 months cut-off. Will keep you posted what happens, I know already that I shouldn't call them so I'll stick to that..
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gpts12
A data point: After submitting the Hyatt app, reached the "Please call us as soon as possible..." screen. I called in twice - rejected both times.
CS 809. Most recent Chase applications: Jan 2015 (1) (Fairmont, open), Dec 2013 (2) (IHG, open; BA, closed), Oct 2013 (2) (Sapphire, closed; Ink, open). Considerable cash in Chase bank accounts.
Rejected for too many recent apps. The 2nd rep listed the number of accounts opened over the last 3 years starting in 2015 (7, 6, 7) and stated that the average consumer opens 2-3 per year. Also said that they had extended the max credit to me (which I don't believe, but you may choose to disagree). The rep also stated that Chase was concerned about the “abuse” of sign-up bonuses. Though presented in a manner that did not specifically accuse me, I got the hint.
definitely appears that it is a YMMV situation. I didn't call and let business app run through the system. 820 FICO, not sure if that makes a difference. No chase banking accounts for me and I averaged over 10 cards a year for the last 3 years.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:51 pm

I am still waiting for a CSP application to work its way through the system. I applied on November 22nd and got the please call message. I haven't called. Automated line just keeps saying I'll hear within 2 weeks but nothing yet. Is this typically how long it takes Chase to make a decision? Anyone else still waiting to hear that applied around 11/22?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:30 pm
Suspended

If you haven't been denied by now, you might need to call in to verify your ID.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:29 am

Virtually everything I have read and experienced tells me that calling in before you have been declined is a bad idea. I have had applications take 30 days to adjudicate after the initial message was to call in, and they were approved. I also had one that I was in a hurry to have approved that requested that I call in and when I called, it was declined. These were both this year and both for cobranded cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.