Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
If a post is invisible it cannot be fixed by editing it or posting again. A moderator will attend to it.
Thank you.....the post has now been reposted. Thanks to the moderator's assistance.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Barrios
I have applied for the IHG card on the 11th. Have 5 cards with Chase (Freedom, Amazon, Marriott, CSP and BA). The last two were opened in September on the same day (for BA I had to call and shift some credit limits between). Also have a mortgage, checking and savings with them, my DD also goes to Chase. Besides Chase I opened about 7 cards within the past half a year (Citi, BofA, IBC, WF). Automated line informs that I will be notified within the two weeks. Should I call and talk to a rep?
Only if you are feeling lonely. Just don't mention that you have applied for a cc.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:24 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Automated line informs that I will be notified within the two weeks. Should I call and talk to a rep?
The consensus is "don't call." Just wait it out.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:28 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hi Gap4Jason. Welcome to FT.
I'm going to move this over to our longstanding "Applying for Chase Credit Cards" thread. I think you get more eyeballs on your question over there.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by gap4jason
Hello everyone, I started signing up for credit card bonuses early in 2014. I did not know much about Chase at the time, I just went with the flow, by applying for the cards that were being offered to me.

Initially, I got approved for the following between March 2014thru Aug 2014:

- Hawaiian Airlines Credit card (Barclays)
- Chase Freedom
- Chase Marriott Rewards
- Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer

I've since started following many blogs, and learned more about Chase Ink and Sapphire. I was encouraged to apply for another card in Oct 2014:

- Chase Ink - I got denied.

Since that denial, I have since applied for 2 other credit card and got approved in January 2015:

- US Bank Club Carlson (Business) - approved
- US Bank Club Carlson (Personal) - approved

So I waited over 6 months before doing anything with Chase, and back in June 2015, I applied for new cards on the same day:

- Chase Sapphire - Denied (even after calling the reconsideration line - due to new acts opened, something to do with the life of the new credit cards

- Citi ThankYou Premier Card - approved (on the same day that Chase denied me)

So I decided to wait again. In Sept 2015, I applied for 2 more credit cards:

- Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature - Approved
- American Express SPG - Approved
- I chose NOT to apply for a Chase card at this time.

I'm a bit gun-shy in applying for another Chase account. I pay my bills in full and on time, the high activities happen during the 1st 2 or 3 months just so I can meet the minimum spend. I have over 25 years of credit history, and my score has floated under 750 during the past 2 years when I started to apply for all these cards.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? It has been over 1 year now since the first denial (Chase Ink), and at least 5-6 months since the 2nd denial (Chase Sapphire).

Thanks!
Feel free to apply for more Chase cards, just aim for cobranded and avoid Freedom,Slate,Sapphire,Ink. If you want the Sapphire so you can transfer points out from your ink, wait until you have fewer than 5 opened accounts in the past 24 months, and try again.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by aza72
Feel free to apply for more Chase cards, just aim for cobranded and avoid Freedom,Slate,Sapphire,Ink. If you want the Sapphire so you can transfer points out from your ink, wait until you have fewer than 5 opened accounts in the past 24 months, and try again.
Thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, I have 3 open Chase Accts (Marriott Rewards, United Mileage Explorer, and Slate - not Freedom). It has only been 1.5 yrs since I applied for the Slate. So truly, I only have 3 active Chase accts - all were opened within the past 1.5 years. Maybe I'll wait until next Spring and try again.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, I have 3 open Chase Accts (Marriott Rewards, United Mileage Explorer, and Slate - not Freedom). It has only been 1.5 yrs since I applied for the Slate. So truly, I only have 3 active Chase accts - all were opened within the past 1.5 years. Maybe I'll wait until next Spring and try again.
If I'm counting correctly, you have opened 5 cards since January 2015: Carlson biz, Carlson personal, Citi Premier, Citi HHonors, and SPG. Keep in mind, the 5/24 rule counts ALL cards you have opened, not just Chase cards so I don't think you'd be able to get either the CSP or the Freedom.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:37 pm
Suspended

I have applied for the IHG card on the 11th. Have 5 cards with Chase (Freedom, Amazon, Marriott, CSP and BA). The last two were opened in September on the same day (for BA I had to call and shift some credit limits between). Also have a mortgage, checking and savings with them, my DD also goes to Chase. Besides Chase I opened about 7 cards within the past half a year (Citi, BofA, IBC, WF). Automated line informs that I will be notified within the two weeks. Should I call and talk to a rep?
I have no Chase accounts but also applied for the IHG on the 11th. I've been getting the "two weeks" message since last Monday but don't plan to call in. The consensus is that it's best to let Chase apps ride.

As mentioned by #2302, it's not five Chase accounts — it's five accounts from all banks added together. If you want a Sapphire Preferred, a Freedom, or a Slate, you can't have opened five or more new credit cards within the preceding 24 months. You can still get approved for co-branded Chase cards (IHG, Hyatt, etc.), but not the three main Chase cards I just listed.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Hello all! Today I applied for the BA Visa online, got a message to call in to verify information, but was denied due to "too many credit cards opened recently."

I've opened the following cards in the last year:

Jun 2015: Citi Prestige, BofA Travel Rewards
Sep 2015: Chase United, Chase Sapphire, Citi Premier

Both Chase cards were issued with the same $32k CL, so wasn't sure if applying on the same day gave me the max limit. So I offered to move CLs from the other two Chase cards, but that didn't help. These are my first two Chase cards in probably 7-8 years...

So is this due to (a misapplication of) the 5/24 rule, or maybe maxing out my Chase CL itself? Or could it be that the existing Chase cards are too new?

Thanks for any insights!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Based on everything I've read here, calling in was a mistake. It sounds like the call took your app from "pending" to "declined."

You can ask for recon by sending an SM on Chase's site, but getting more than $64,000 in credit from Chase in ~90 days seems aggressive.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Wait a few months and apply again, don't call next time.

Not calling is the only part of the 5/24 that seems to be consistent, no matter how much some people think co-branded cards are exempt, as you yourself found out.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I have no Chase accounts but also applied for the IHG on the 11th. I've been getting the "two weeks" message since last Monday but don't plan to call in. The consensus is that it's best to let Chase apps ride.

As mentioned by #2302, it's not five Chase accounts — it's five accounts from all banks added together. If you want a Sapphire Preferred, a Freedom, or a Slate, you can't have opened five or more new credit cards within the preceding 24 months. You can still get approved for co-branded Chase cards (IHG, Hyatt, etc.), but not the three main Chase cards I just listed.
Ok thanks. That makes sense. Two days ago, my wife recently got approved the Chase Sapphire and Chase Hyatt. So I think I'll lay off in applying for one of the major Chase cards for now. Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Based on everything I've read here, calling in was a mistake. It sounds like the call took your app from "pending" to "declined."

You can ask for recon by sending an SM on Chase's site, but getting more than $64,000 in credit from Chase in ~90 days seems aggressive.
Originally Posted by mhdena
Wait a few months and apply again, don't call next time.

Not calling is the only part of the 5/24 that seems to be consistent, no matter how much some people think co-branded cards are exempt, as you yourself found out.
Thanks jsk1973 and mhdena!

Yes, indeed I shouldn't have called in, wish I had read this thread before...

Was hoping that reducing my other Chase credit limits would help (especially since it definitely sounds like I'm at my "max" limit for Chase), but sounds like that wouldn't have changed the outcome. Will try again in a few months, lesson learned...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:09 pm

Just got approved for the Ink Plus. 16 new cards in the past 24 months. The automated line stayed at "you will receive written notice within 30 days" for 3 weeks, I didn't call in, and today I was approved with a $5k credit line. I have a legit business and specified $7k annual revenue on the application. I have an EIN but I've never used it so I applied with my SSN.

In hindsight, I should have reduced the CLs on some of my other cards first since I'm pretty sure I'm at the limit of what Chase is willing to extend. Now that I'm approved, is there any danger in asking Chase to move some credit line from one of my personal cards to the Ink?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhdena
Chase's co-branded cards are definitely exempt from the 5/24 rule, but the usual underwriting standards still apply. The humans at Chase seem to be much less forgiving than the computers (and/or the humans who answer the phones are less forgiving than the humans in some other office who handle applications that are allowed to run their natural course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.