Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, and Mileage Plus
In an unfortunate situation per the 5/24 rule. Denied because of the following:
-May 2014, Amex Platinum
-Auguest 2014, CSP Authorized User
-December 2014, Chase Plus & Premier
-May 2015, Amex Plat downgraded to Everyday

The whole authorized user counting as a card opening is bs and the amex plat to everyday was a move to keep the points but pay no fee.

Has any had any luck getting removed as an authorized user then going back to equifax to getting this removed from their credit report? Then how much time would you have to wait to reapply for the CSP? Seems like this process would have to take a month or two if it's even possible. Let me know your experiences and if you have a thread or website that details the process. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:18 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Interesting, I thought (mistakenly?) charge cards from AMEX did not count toward the total but perhaps things have evolved.

BTW, nobody is getting "blacklisted" unless your accounts were closed or you have charged off debt with Chase, and no CSR can give an indication of approval/denial. This isn't how credit works, and I assure you the regulators are all up in Chase's grill ensuring they follow all the fair lending rules and regs. Unfortunately this results in few (if any) exceptions to the policy as Chase is trying to demonstate fair and consistent application of its credit policy.

Originally Posted by Fully2k
-May 2014, Amex Platinum

The whole authorized user counting as a card opening is bs and the amex plat to everyday was a move to keep the points but pay no fee.

Has any had any luck getting removed as an authorized user then going back to equifax to getting this removed from their credit report? Then how much time would you have to wait to reapply for the CSP? Seems like this process would have to take a month or two if it's even possible. Let me know your experiences and if you have a thread or website that details the process. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Starwood Gold
No need to be inhospitable with remarks like, "If you keep asking questions already answered in a thread wiki, you're showing contempt for every other thread participant." I certainly didn't intend to "show...contempt for" anyone!

The wiki states, and I quote, "Being an additional user on someone else's account poses no bar to applying for that same card & bonus, except insofar as such cards may count toward the 5/24 rule." So, even if I count my status as an AU on my husband's account, I would only be at four (4) applications. I'm not being contemptuous; I'm just confused and am trying to determine whether/how to appeal my denial.

Be nice....
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
-May 2014, Amex Platinum

When you downgraded the AmEx Platinum, did Everyday show up as a new account? If not, it seems like you would still be at 4.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Haven't done it myself, but you should be able to get removed as an AU with one phone call, then dispute the AU account with Equifax and it should disappear within a few days.

Originally Posted by aza72
When you downgraded the AmEx Platinum, did Everyday show up as a new account? If not, it seems like you would still be at 4.
Haven't been through this either, but the Platinum is a charge and the Everyday is a revolver. (I didn't even know Amex would change a charge card to a revolver or vice versa.)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aza72
It most likely a new account because it is a charge card converted to a credit card.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:08 am
Suspended

I'm still getting the "approximately two weeks" message on two pending co-branded apps after initially getting the "30 days" message. Does the automated status line ever tell you that you're declined, or does it keep telling you the app is under review right up until a rejection letter shows up in your mailbox?

I've heard the "two weeks" message is often a verification issue, and since I have no Chase cards at present, it would make sense that I might need to go through that process. I'm still not going to call, though.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I'm still getting the "approximately two weeks" message on two pending co-branded apps after initially getting the "30 days" message. Does the automated status line ever tell you that you're declined, or does it keep telling you the app is under review right up until a rejection letter shows up in your mailbox?

I've heard the "two weeks" message is often a verification issue, and since I have no Chase cards at present, it would make sense that I might need to go through that process. I'm still not going to call, though.
When I applied for my first card with Chase one year ago, some time after they made the decision, they did send an e-mail with approval. Their e-mail system seems to lag the decision-making process; you can probably expect an e-mail (perhaps) two days after the message.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxwell109
Yes, but I only applied after reading in one of the reliable travel blogs that this wasn't an issue.
Unfortunately, the purpose of an average travel blog is to attract eyeballs and then get them to click on sponsored links, which earn the blog money.

It's not to disseminate the most reliable information.

Journalistic methods (like verifying with multiple sources) are totally absent from most of them.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It most likely a new account because it is a charge card converted to a credit card.
Well at least we can finally put the "Charge Cards Don't Count" rumor in its grave. It always seemed crazy to me that their credit report parser would be designed to exclude charge cards (which look a lot like CC on the reports), but not authorized users, which are actually a legitimate exception.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Just want to double check before I waste a HP. Getting back into the churn...

Using data from my credit report + creditkarma reported accounts:

before dec 2013: i am an AU on an ink cash, and have an old freedom, but based on the FAQ and what i've read so far, this would not affect 5/24.

post dec 13:
citi AA feb 2014
1 chase biz in oct 2014
2 non-UR chase cards in March 2015
[also have an SPG biz from this year but since this is biz, i assume this doesn't show anything other than a pull on EX]

Since I have 4 accounts within 24 months, I should be fine based on 5/24 right? my pulls might be closer to 5-6 on ex, which chase pulls in my neighborhood.

My other concern, outside of 5/24, is whether chase will extend me more credit. The only other thing I was going to do was lower my credit limit on my chase cards to <5k, so that i don't trip the circuit breaker on extended credit. Shouldn't be a problem having 3 UR cards and 2 non-UR cards, right?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by psychoandy
Just want to double check before I waste a HP. Getting back into the churn...

Using data from my credit report + creditkarma reported accounts:

before dec 2013: i am an AU on an ink cash, and have an old freedom, but based on the FAQ and what i've read so far, this would not affect 5/24.

post dec 13:
citi AA feb 2014
1 chase biz in oct 2014
2 non-UR chase cards in March 2015
[also have an SPG biz from this year but since this is biz, i assume this doesn't show anything other than a pull on EX]

Since I have 4 accounts within 24 months, I should be fine based on 5/24 right? my pulls might be closer to 5-6 on ex, which chase pulls in my neighborhood.

My other concern, outside of 5/24, is whether chase will extend me more credit. The only other thing I was going to do was lower my credit limit on my chase cards to <5k, so that i don't trip the circuit breaker on extended credit. Shouldn't be a problem having 3 UR cards and 2 non-UR cards, right?
Should not be a problem with 5/24. Not sure what to say about CL, since that depends on your income and credit score, but chase will often deduct from another credit line automatically if need be.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:18 am

Denied by Chase twice - when should I reapply?

Hello everyone, I started signing up for credit card bonuses early in 2014. I did not know much about Chase at the time, I just went with the flow, by applying for the cards that were being offered to me.

Initially, I got approved for the following between March 2014thru Aug 2014:

- Hawaiian Airlines Credit card (Barclays)
- Chase Freedom
- Chase Marriott Rewards
- Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer

I've since started following many blogs, and learned more about Chase Ink and Sapphire. I was encouraged to apply for another card in Oct 2014:

- Chase Ink - I got denied.

Since that denial, I have since applied for 2 other credit card and got approved in January 2015:

- US Bank Club Carlson (Business) - approved
- US Bank Club Carlson (Personal) - approved

So I waited over 6 months before doing anything with Chase, and back in June 2015, I applied for new cards on the same day:

- Chase Sapphire - Denied (even after calling the reconsideration line - due to new acts opened, something to do with the life of the new credit cards

- Citi ThankYou Premier Card - approved (on the same day that Chase denied me)

So I decided to wait again. In Sept 2015, I applied for 2 more credit cards:

- Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature - Approved
- American Express SPG - Approved
- I chose NOT to apply for a Chase card at this time.

I'm a bit gun-shy in applying for another Chase account. I pay my bills in full and on time, the high activities happen during the 1st 2 or 3 months just so I can meet the minimum spend. I have over 25 years of credit history, and my score has floated under 750 during the past 2 years when I started to apply for all these cards.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? It has been over 1 year now since the first denial (Chase Ink), and at least 5-6 months since the 2nd denial (Chase Sapphire).

Thanks!

Last edited by gap4jason; Dec 21, 2015 at 8:55 am
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

If a post is invisible it cannot be fixed by editing it or posting again. A moderator will attend to it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: SQ, DL, Marriott, UR
I have applied for the IHG card on the 11th. Have 5 cards with Chase (Freedom, Amazon, Marriott, CSP and BA). The last two were opened in September on the same day (for BA I had to call and shift some credit limits between). Also have a mortgage, checking and savings with them, my DD also goes to Chase. Besides Chase I opened about 7 cards within the past half a year (Citi, BofA, IBC, WF). Automated line informs that I will be notified within the two weeks. Should I call and talk to a rep?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.