Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Happy
[B][B]Go back to read Post 2362 and 2371 [redacted]
True, the CSRs did PREVIOUSLY have that discretion. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that was in the past. Post 2371 is only two days old, but it refers to a Recon call from Dec 7, which was over 3 weeks ago. Having 6 in 24 didn't used to matter, until one day it did.

We need more data points, so if anyone gets either approved or denied, based on AU overrides by Recon, please post about it.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 30, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: Removed redacted quote
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
True, the CSRs did PREVIOUSLY have that discretion. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that was in the past. Post 2371 is only two days old, but it refers to a Recon call from Dec 7, which was over 3 weeks ago. Having 6 in 24 didn't used to matter, until one day it did.

We need more data points, so if anyone gets either approved or denied, based on AU overrides by Recon, please post about it.
will have a data point soon. Wife applied with just 3 new accounts in last 24 months plus 2 AUs..pending review....830 credit score
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by maxwell109
Chase is willing to drive away high net worth customers with stellar credit scores who have never had a delinquent payment on any account and who have just 2 open revolving accounts where they are the account owner; can you explain this to me? Underwriting agent: "The process makes those decisions; there is nothing I can do."
I don't consider this a rant. It's a valid point, Chase is for some reason shooting itself in the foot with the >5/24 rule. Also true for the near impossibility of getting approved for an INK. DW has a legitimate full time business that has been profitable from day one. But she was denied for an INK Plus, so all of her Bus spend goes on the SPG Bus that AMEX was very happy to approve. We'd rather use an INK due to the various bonuses, but Chase won't give her one. They even denied her for an Ink Cash, saying they wanted to "see more spending history on her (personal) Chase cards". Why her 3 years history with CSP didn't qualify for that is impossible to understand. Not to mention her previous $30K spend in one year on her B/A card ( now closed) didn't count either.

There are several posts on this thread from people who would otherwise put $30K to $40K on a CSP being denied for "too many accounts", and spending that instead on cards that Citi and AMEX were all too happy to approve. In my case, I had cancelled my CSP prior to reapplying, and just before I did that, the new rule came out. I was disappointed at first, and of course would have liked to get that sign up bonus. But finding out I no longer qualified for a CSP, I looked around for a substitute, and found out the benefits of Citi Prestige and Premier cards were superior to the CSP. So now what would have been CSP spend goes to Citi. And in just over 8 months I'm sitting on over 150K TYPs.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
will have a data point soon. Wife applied with just 3 new accounts in last 24 months plus 2 AUs..pending review....830 credit score
Yes, please post her results. But that won't answer my question, since the automatic cut-off point is OVER 5 in 24. Exactly 5 in 24 has been YMMV up to now. Plus I assume she knows better than to call Recon in advance. What is in question is whether Recon CSRs still have the "discretion" to ignore AU accounts that put someone >5 in 24 and approve an app that had been auto denied due to the AU count.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by STLBeerMan
Did you get a welcome email before the card showed up online? I've got a CSP app that has been in pending status for 22 days. I thought Christmas was slow... Well, maybe Chase is slow because of Christmas. Who knows.
Did not get any emails from Chase.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:52 pm

Would appreciate some advice. Applied for SW Plus for DH using a referral (approved) and for SW Preferred(still getting '2 weeks message') - both on 12/10.

Just read that Chase won't let you apply for 2 personals on same day? I thought that was a way to get only one hard pull.

Should he apply for SW Bus before 50K offer goes away or wait it out longer?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CherylD
Would appreciate some advice. Applied for SW Plus for DH using a referral (approved) and for SW Preferred(still getting '2 weeks message') - both on 12/10.

Just read that Chase won't let you apply for 2 personals on same day? I thought that was a way to get only one hard pull.

Should he apply for SW Bus before 50K offer goes away or wait it out longer?

Thanks!
Can you post source or link for info re 2 personals? I came on to ask if I should apply for CSP and Freedom same day or wait for Freedom. I'm within the 5/24. Only chase card I have is Ink.

Eventually maybe next fall, I'd like to get both SW plus and premier so if adding the Freedom now is a potential problem, I'll just do CSP.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by waylook
Yes, we got the (70K) signup bonus with each one.
70k?? Highest I have seen is 60k? Was the additional 10k from a referral or how??
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Can you post source or link for info re 2 personals? I came on to ask if I should apply for CSP and Freedom same day or wait for Freedom. I'm within the 5/24. Only chase card I have is Ink.

Eventually maybe next fall, I'd like to get both SW plus and premier so if adding the Freedom now is a potential problem, I'll just do CSP.
You can apply for two personals on one day. Know many people that were approved for CSP and Freedom on same day. or other combos.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by maxwell109
I'm deeply discouraged by the dismissive and unkind response of some "veterans" of FT when replying to relatively new posters (like myself); this sure doesn't make one feel welcome here.
Hi Maxwell109, welcome to FT and the "Applying for Chase" cards thread. We are glad you joined us here at the Chase forum and reported your experience with your application and recon call.

Please don't hesitate to use the "Alert a Moderator" button (the triangle on the left of all posts), as personal attacks and name calling are against the T & C's of Flyertalk and will be removed.

Thanks, and hope to see you around the threads and forums.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Interesting day with Chase. As detailed previously, about 3 weeks ago, I applied for an IHG card, followed by a MileagePlus about 5 days later. Both went from "30 days" to "2 weeks" to "7-10 days." Once I got the dreaded "7-10 days" message, I figured I was already declined, so I called in last night and, to my surprise, was told the apps were actually being handled by verifications, which was closed when I called.

Called in a while ago, answered a few basic verification questions, and the MileagePlus was immediately approved with a CL roughly double the card's $5,000 minimum.

The very nice CSR moved on to the IHG app, which actually was app #1 and which has only a $2,000 minimum CL, and tells me that one is actually in lending. I didn't want to just hang up — she stayed on the line while connecting me — and I figured I was in good shape anyway since the allegedly tougher-to-obtain MileagePlus was approved at almost double the card's minimum.

Nope.

As soon as the lady from lending answered, she notified me that the IHG app had been declined. I asked for recon, and what followed was an absolute grilling, the likes of which I have never experienced for a credit card, including requests for personal and business income for the past three years and questions about an alleged charge-off from 1994 (!) at a bank I'd never even heard of that apparently was subsequently acquired by Chase.

After two or three times on hold, the lady told me the decline stood.

I assume I'll be able to simply reallocate $3,000 from the MileagePlus to get the IHG approved once I activate the MileagePlus, but this was a hell of a process. Somehow, the second application was processed before the first, and somehow, I was deemed creditworthy enough for a ~$10,000 card but not creditworthy enough for a $2,000 card.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Definitely slow this month. I just got approved on the 26th for a Marriott card I'd applied for on the 4th. Called in and asked them to expedite delivery and had the card in hand yesterday, in time to put some year-end expenses toward the minimum spend. They may be cranky about approvals, but I continue to be very happy with the customer service once the card is issued. Second Chase card this quarter (and this year), total of a dozen or so new cards in the last two years.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Yes, the lady I spoke with in lending said they've been swamped.

All contacts with customer service have been friendly and efficient. They just agreed to expedite my MileagePlus card, but I'm not sure what that will end up meaning, since Friday is a holiday and Saturday delivery would likely be an additional charge.

Anyone know from where Chase cards are shipped?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:42 pm

They had that offer publicly available for a brief time in 2014.

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Originally Posted by waylook
Yes, we got the (70K) signup bonus with each one.
70k?? Highest I have seen is 60k? Was the additional 10k from a referral or how??

Last edited by waylook; Dec 31, 2015 at 12:09 am
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:27 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Chase Marriott

I've been looking through posts on the Chase thread, and it seems like you can still churn cards after re-applying 2 yrs after the initial bonus was offered? Is this only true of certain cards, like only business & not personal? I've been out of the credit card bonus game for a while, but several years ago, I opened a personal Chase Marriott Visa for a big bonus offer. Apparently I had the exact same personal card in the past, but it was so long ago (> 5yrs?) that I had forgotten. They gave me the card, but after my spend, they denied me the bonus saying I had the card in the past, and they quoted this 5yr old card. I went to several CSRs, but they all said the same. So I just cancelled the card after wasting $$ and a few months trying to get the bonus and I haven't looked back. Was my experience years ago not what is going on today, or it specifically the Chase Marriott card? Thanks for being patient if this has been answered somewhere on this thread, I've been out of the game for a long time now. I've been reading about the recent 70K thread and realize it's too late for me for that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.