Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by maxwell109
The wiki for this forum states, "Being an additional user on someone else's account poses no bar to applying for that same card & bonus, except insofar as such cards may count toward the 5/24 rule."

I thought that should be a pretty reliable source. But, as I learned today (12/28, see my entry on this date), this information is now outdated.
not outdated, states being AU counts in the 5/24 rule.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:57 pm

Data point:
2 new Chase cards in the last 12 months, MP Explorer Biz and Ink Cash. 9 new personal cards. Turned down for Marriott card due to too many new accounts recently. I've seen some reports that 5/24 applies to cobrand cards now and that seems to be the case here. Even after a recon the representative was very nice, but very persistent that no more credit could be extended.

Prior to this app-o-rama the only hard inquiry on my report for the last 6 months was an Internet provider. (The rep actually brought that up, implying it counts against me more than the temporary score penalty.) It seems like the 6 month mark is irrelevant to Chase, they want a year plus.

It was strange because I never interrupted him and he had a tendency to ramble. At one point he said I was a borderline case and he was choosing to agree with the original decision and turn it down due to too much new credit. I said if it's borderline could we just move credit around from the other cards? (I do have a Freedom with a large CL so I definitely have some breathing room even just on the personal side) He said I was not borderline at all and he did not want to approve me with that option.

I thought about calling back and trying to convince another rep but it seems like "recon" is a formal process and a new rep would be able to see I already asked for an appeal and would deny me right off the bat.

Also, in this app-o-rama I was instant approved for an Amex card and approved for a Citi card after calling to tell them how big of a CL I wanted. Chase clearly just hates me.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:17 pm
Suspended

That sounds like "too much new credit" and/or you've reached Chase's internal limit, not that 5/24 suddenly applies to co-branded cards (which we know it doesn't).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
ok..I thought they would give a decision over the phone, I believe that is usually what happens
Received a letter dated the day after I called recon to verify DOB. Is this usually a good sign? Anyway I can verify DOB over the phone or does driver license need to be snail mailed?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxwell109
I just wanted to let everyone know Chase has modified their 5/24 rule. I just got off the phone with Chase's underwriting department with my local Chase personal banker on the line with me. Bottom line? Chase is now including AUs in the "5 new accounts" part of the 5/24 rule. I have a credit score of 817 and only have two (2) open revolving accounts. So on the suggestion of my Chase personal banker, I requested and reviewed my credit reports. I am an authorized user (AU) on three (3) of my husband's accounts and I had a very old and never used overdraft protection associated with my credit union checking account. This was enough to get my application for the Sapphire Preferred account denied! The agent from Chase's underwriting department indicated this was a policy change that just occurred this December. Our lengthy conversation can be summed up as follows -- Me: Chase is willing to drive away high net worth customers with stellar credit scores who have never had a delinquent payment on any account and who have just 2 open revolving accounts where they are the account owner; can you explain this to me? Underwriting agent: "The process makes those decisions; there is nothing I can do." Forewarned is forearmed.
The Wiki is correct but you misread it - Chase has been counting AUs when applying the 5/24 rule and that is exactly what Wiki has said. However Wiki also mentioned that some are able to convince the rep to IGNORE the AUs and as recent as just a few days ago, elementofice has posted a success data point in post 2362 and 2371, only a page before your [redacted] post.

Go back to read Post 2362 and 2371 so you can better understand the process, AND learn something from the posts about how to navigate the recon call - [

One thing people should learn is, the rep can help you or deny you on the AU issue - the rep does have the discretion to count AUs or not to count AUs How you handle the "negotiation" with the rep can make or break your case.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 30, 2015 at 6:31 pm Reason: removed personal comment/name calling
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:30 pm

closing and reapplying for United Explorer card

I got an Explorer card with a 50K bonus last May, but somehow missed my minimum spend to earn the bonus.

(The spreadsheet I use to keep track of these things said the spend requirement was $2K, but after meeting that and waiting a couple of months for the miles to post I called and was told the spend was $2.5K. I had saved all the paperwork that came with the card but could find no mention of the spend for the bonus.)

First of all, is it possible to appeal and have a chance of getting the bonus? Unlikely I suppose, since I have no proof... I should have saved a screenshot of the application page.

The rep said that since I didn't actually get the bonus, I could cancel the card and reapply right away (without waiting 24 months.) I need to know more about the ramifications of doing this. Clearly it will involve a hard pull, and will probably show up as another new account (dimming my chances for a Sapphire Preferred in the future due to the 5/24 rule.)

I wonder if the new card would still have the first year annual fee waived?

And then I wonder about timing --- how long should I wait between closing the old account and applying for the new one?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by Chetstone
I got an Explorer card with a 50K bonus last May, but somehow missed my minimum spend to earn the bonus.

(The spreadsheet I use to keep track of these things said the spend requirement was $2K, but after meeting that and waiting a couple of months for the miles to post I called and was told the spend was $2.5K. I had saved all the paperwork that came with the card but could find no mention of the spend for the bonus.)

First of all, is it possible to appeal and have a chance of getting the bonus? Unlikely I suppose, since I have no proof... I should have saved a screenshot of the application page.

The rep said that since I didn't actually get the bonus, I could cancel the card and reapply right away (without waiting 24 months.) I need to know more about the ramifications of doing this. Clearly it will involve a hard pull, and will probably show up as another new account (dimming my chances for a Sapphire Preferred in the future due to the 5/24 rule.)

I wonder if the new card would still have the first year annual fee waived?

And then I wonder about timing --- how long should I wait between closing the old account and applying for the new one?
Did you hit the 2K? I haven't seen it at anything other than 2K spend for 50K/1K for 30K miles in the past year. If you definitely hit the 2K of net purchases in 3 months since the account was opened, I would follow up with SM. Currently the bonus is only 30K, so unless you get an offer for 50K, it would probably be best to wait to apply.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
interesting data point...

I've had an ink open for a business for ~15 months. received a 60k first year free "targeted" offer for a different business that I had previously had an ink card with (cancelled around 2 years ago). Currently have 5 chase cards open.

Applied during my last AOR, it went to pending. didn't call in, but approved about a week later. so if you get a targeted mailer for ink, and already have a card open, you may want to try for it
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:41 am

Yes, unlike AMEX, you can have as many inks as you have businesses.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:27 am

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present

Does any other bank allow a card per business?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:28 am

22 days and counting....

Applied for UA Explorer card on 12/7 after getting an offer in the mail. Calling the automated line I've been getting "We'll notify you in 30 days" since day 1.

I've seen reports here of people getting approved after 3 weeks, but since I'm past that mark now I'm wondering if it can be anything other than a decline.

I'm tempted to apply for other good offers out there, such as AA 50k miles offer from Citi, which I'm afraid will disappear in the New Year as it's "limited time only".
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by AXR64
Applied for UA Explorer card on 12/7 after getting an offer in the mail. Calling the automated line I've been getting "We'll notify you in 30 days" since day 1.

I've seen reports here of people getting approved after 3 weeks, but since I'm past that mark now I'm wondering if it can be anything other than a decline.

I'm tempted to apply for other good offers out there, such as AA 50k miles offer from Citi, which I'm afraid will disappear in the New Year as it's "limited time only".
same here....applied for the Marriott 80k offer on 12/7 and still get the 30 day on both automated status numbers.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by dodgers702
applied for the Marriott 80k offer on 12/7
Do you have a link you can provide, or was this a targeted offer only?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
As sdsearch said above, if you have opened less than 6 new accounts, with ANY bank, in the past 24 months, and you want a CSP, that needs to be your next app. 5 new accounts could be a problem, or might not, but more than 5 is an automatic denial.

This includes AU accounts as well as primary accounts. If you have AU accounts that put you over 5/24 you have two options. Either cancel them, and work with the credit bureaus to get them off the list. Or just apply, understand that your app will be auto denied, then after the denial, call Recon and ask to talk to a Supervisor who MAY set aside the AU cards and approve you. The first option may seem more labor intensive. Until you try the second one, which might not work anyhow. Posts back in this thread explain how to get AU accounts removed.
Can anyone else comment with 5 hard pulls in the last 24? I have tried to go back and find data but not much info at all on this specifically. If I can't get approved with already having 5 hards, I will have to wait until May to apply for the CSP.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mspel
Can anyone else comment with 5 hard pulls in the last 24? I have tried to go back and find data but not much info at all on this specifically. If I can't get approved with already having 5 hards, I will have to wait until May to apply for the CSP.
It's not the number of hard pulls. It's the number of new accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.