Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by longhornmike
Data point on the 5/24 rule:

Wife applied online for CSP. Had opened 4 new personal card accounts (1 Barclay, 1 Citi, 2 Chase) in the past 24 months plus 1 new authorized user account on my Chase Ink Bold. After submitting the application, got the message to call as soon as possible. Called later that day and got approval over the phone by moving credit from one of the Chase accounts.

So I'm guessing either the business card authorized user or one of the non-Chase accounts did not count toward the limit.
Does Chase have any way of knowing whether someone is an authorized user of a Citi card? Both the primary and AU have the same card #. Obviously they know when someone is an AU of a Chase card because you have to give Chase their name and SSN.

Last edited by Long Islander; Dec 13, 2015 at 4:49 pm
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:33 am

One more question. As noted, my wife's app for a CSP was denied due to too many new cards. Once her credit report arrives, we've going to call the Chase reconsideration line. What is the best time to call so that we can escalate the inquiry to a more senior credit analyst?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:09 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Based on previous FT'ers luck with this rule I'm not sure you have much of a shot here. If you have a private banking or business banking relationship you might have some recourse here...but then if that was the case you wouldn't be calling the recon line.

Originally Posted by Long Islander
One more question. As noted, my wife's app for a CSP was denied due to too many new cards. Once her credit report arrives, we've going to call the Chase reconsideration line. What is the best time to call so that we can escalate the inquiry to a more senior credit analyst?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
If those new cards are all personal accounts and she is the primary, your chances are low. If removing AUs and business accounts gets her under 5/24, then you have a shot.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
How hard is the 4 enquireries per 24 months rule? I have 5 on Experian so theoretically I would have to wait until May to apply. I called yesterday and they said that it was not a hard rule although recent blog posts suggest otherwise.

My credit score is 735-780 among the 3 Bureaus, I have 6 active cards and an average age of 2 years. Instant approval within the last 24 months for all cards:
Citi TY premier
Chase UA
Amex DL
Citi AA
Amex SPG
Amex Plat (AU)

Any feedback would be great!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by mspel
How hard is the 4 enquireries per 24 months rule? I have 5 on Experian so theoretically I would have to wait until May to apply. I called yesterday and they said that it was not a hard rule although recent blog posts suggest otherwise.

My credit score is 735-780 among the 3 Bureaus, I have 6 active cards and an average age of 2 years. Instant approval within the last 24 months for all cards:
Citi TY premier
Chase UA
Amex DL
Citi AA
Amex SPG
Amex Plat (AU)

Any feedback would be great!
It's not inquiries, it's cards opened within the last 24 months as seen on whichever credit report they pull. It's a pretty hard rule but may be avoided with preapprovals or if some of the opened cards are AUs.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:28 pm

Re-apply for CSP with existing Sapphire?

Like many I downgraded my CSP to the regular sapphire when the annual fee came due. It's been about 2 years and I am almost ready to apply for the Sapphire preferred again as I will have only 4 new cards in the past 24 mos this January.

Do I need to cancel the Sapphire before I try to get the Sapphire preferred again? I would prefer to keep that credit but would like to maximize my chances of getting instant approval...
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just want to add an additional data point about the pulls as someone several pages up thread said he saw 2 pulls from Chase on his app.

Once again Chase has made pull on both EX and EQ on an instant approval of Hyatt card in August. Need to order new report to see what happened on another instant approval of BA card last week.

Back in 2013 Chase made 2 pulls on virtually every app. Then it reverted to only one pull on EQ. Now it started again this past August. Worse. it seems now to use EX more than EQ when all other issuers already are EX exclusively. Sigh.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Does Chase have any way of knowing whether someone is an authorized user of a Citi card? Both the primary and AU have the same card #. Obviously they know when someone is an AU because you have to give Chase their name and SSN.
Yes, it's easy for banks to ascertain. On credit reports, authorized users are listed as such in the "Responsibility" section.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mspel
If you are talking about a CSP, Freedom, or Slate, the hard rule is no more than 5 new accounts in the past 24 months. More than 4 MAY be held against you, but it's not a rule per se. If you are talking about a co-brand Chase card, like a Hyatt or SW, there is no actual rule at all. I was approved for a Marriott card August 30th with more cards in the past 24 months than I can count. Probably at least 8 AA Exec cards alone, and I have multiple cards from 6 different banks.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I was approved for a Marriott card August 30th with more cards in the past 24 months than I can count. Probably at least 8 AA Exec cards alone, and I have multiple cards from 6 different banks.
I'm SO HAPPY! I just got the 100K BA card approved. I applied about 2 weeks ago, got the "call us now" message. I didn't call. The approval line said "we'll let you know in 30 days." This morning, it shows up on my Chase log in. WHOO HOOO! I have far more than 5/24. More like 5/3 or 15/24.

Mr San Diego was turned down for a Marriott recently, "too many lines of credit opened recently" cited as the reason. That was around the end of August. We also applied for a BA card for him on Dec 1, it went to pending, and it's still not showing up on the website. Here's hoping on that one.

My take is that the 5/24 is stringently applied in most, if not all, of the proprietary cards. The Inks always had the potential for a rigorous application vetting-- they stopped handing those out well over a year ago. The co-branded cards are tougher to get than they used to be, but worth applying for, and sooner, rather than later, if your long term miles earning plans involve lots of credit card applications.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:35 pm

Is 'You will receive our decision in approximately 2 weeks' still the kiss of death?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended

No, "7 to 10 days" is the bad one.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greggarious
Does Chase still allow you to re-apply for the CSP and United Explorer if it's been two years since the bonus was paid out?

Edit: and receive the bonuses?
has anyone applied, received card, but been denied bonus? (Assuming you met minimum spend on time and had waited 24 months from last bonus)
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry if this question has been asked. I just received an email from Chase:

"Thank you for being a valued Chase customer. We invite you to apply for our Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card, named a 'Best Credit Card' for Travel Rewards by MONEY Magazine."

I have way over 5 cards open in the last 24 months. Do they just send this out to everyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.