Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:54 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by giblet
Currently, I have a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer, which has just hit the one year mark. I am tempted to cancel it so I don't have to pay the $95 fee, and just apply for the United business card and use that instead for the next year.
Many people call the banks and ask for a retention bonus which may offset the fee partially or entirely. Consult the thread below for more information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...all-cards.html
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Many people call the banks and ask for a retention bonus which may offset the fee partially or entirely. Consult the thread below for more information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...all-cards.html
Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that first.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Applied for CSP just now...got "decision pending". Only had southwest and disney card through chase. My wife and I had same amount of new cards in last 2 years (5 CCs)...she got instant approval for CSP about a month ago. I know my CL is not maxed...only like 30k with high income and no debt. I have however opened a couple bank accounts (non chase)...not sure if that would have anything to do with decision pending.

Oh well...I'm going to let this play out and update when I get a decision. I am AU on my wife's CSP....also I canceled her southwest card today and had the CL transferred to her CSP but that had nothing to do with me other than I was an AU on that card. We shall see...hopefully I login and see CSP in my account list soon.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
In regards to this in the Wiki:

...automated lines responses stating they will notify you in 7-10 days often result in a denial.

I applied for the Chase Sapphire card and it said the above on the screen. I was just approved for the British Airways Chase card 2 weeks prior with a $25k limit, boosting my CL with Chase over 3 cards to $48k.

I went on vacation the next day and called the 1-800 automated line every day to see if I had been approved and it also stated the above. I figured I would be declined.

After getting home from Maui yesterday I received a letter in the mail to call Chase fraud department with a reference number. They asked me some identity questions and they approved me with a $10,800 limit, which boosts my total CL with Chase to $58k over 4 cards.

Current balance total with Chase is $14k, which I have on a 0% interest until Feb of 2016 card.

I think my FICO score is only around 730.

Last edited by 355F1; Sep 10, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
In regards to this in the Wiki:

note: automated line responses stating they will notify you in 2 weeks often result in an approval; automated lines responses stating they will notify you in 7-10 days often result in a denial.

I applied for the Chase Sapphire card and it said the above on the screen.
"The above" is a meaningless term in this case, since you quoted both of things it could say! So which of those two did it say?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
"The above" is a meaningless term in this case, since you quoted both of things it could say! So which of those two did it say?
I suspect he means "7-10 days," but even if that's right, I'm not sure it disproves the wiki speculation. His being directed to the fraud dep't suggests that Chase would have denied this app by default; in any event, this seems like an atypical scenario.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:17 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough.

I got the dreaded 7-10 days comment on the automated line.

And I edited my original post.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:24 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beltway
I suspect he means "7-10 days," but even if that's right, I'm not sure it disproves the wiki speculation. His being directed to the fraud dep't suggests that Chase would have denied this app by default; in any event, this seems like an atypical scenario.
Just offering a data point.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Applications not found

applied at about 12:15 last night for CSP, Ink Plus, Chase hyatt, Chase British Airways.

Approved for CSP but all three others showed application pending in the browser tab and said they received my info and i could close the browser. Called recon this morning (twice to biz and twice to personal) and they only see the CSP app. I haven't seen reports of this, should i be applying again for the other three?

Also if important, i used 4 incognito browser windows in chrome.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Two Weeks Is Amost Up

DW and I both applied for the Marriott 80K offer on August 30th. Used the same household income, address, etc, but she has a few fewer HPs than I do. The Automated line said my app was approved on Sunday, and my Chase webpage showed the card added on Tuesday.

Auto line still says "in 2 weeks" for her app. I know that is supposed to be the "good" language, but the delay is making me nervous.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by krow81
applied at about 12:15 last night for CSP, Ink Plus, Chase hyatt, Chase British Airways.
Only those 4?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:21 pm

Is it still necessary to apply for CSP in branch so that the banker can call recon for you? This is a case for someone who only has 4 CCs opened in the last 2 years.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Is it still necessary to apply for CSP in branch so that the banker can call recon for you? This is a case for someone who only has 4 CCs opened in the last 2 years.
I'm not sure that has actually helped anyone, and no reports of people getting 'too many cards' line with only 4 cards in past 24 months.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by krow81

Approved for CSP but all three others showed application pending in the browser tab and said they received my info and i could close the browser. Called recon this morning (twice to biz and twice to personal) and they only see the CSP app. I haven't seen reports of this, should i be applying again for the other three?
Unless you have a credit score & personal/business income far above the FT norm, I think you need to dial it back a notch. Submitting more applications at this point is IMO likely to freak Chase out to the point that they'd revoke your CSP.

And yes, I've had the experience of Chase CSRs being unable to see an app for a day or two. Happened to me only once, but it was quite frustrating & never adequately explained.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:27 pm

2nd Year Bonus???

Hello,

I have been skimming through some posts and noticed something like "2nd year bonus" on Sapphire Card, I guess.

What I understood was that Chase would give you some bonus points (how many???) on the 2nd aniversary if the card is kept without being cancelled.

Could someone help me clarify/verify this info?

Thank you!

Michaelmorio

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.