Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Brugge
Lucky you. DW has a real full time business, just over a year old, for which AMEX gave her a Bus Gold card. But 2 apps for an Ink, 6 months apart, were both turned down, and that was before the latest shenanigans began.

She is applying for a SPG Bus with the enhanced 30K sign up bonus today. We'd much rather have 1.25 SPG points than 1 MR point. Please everyone, wish her luck.
GOOD LUCK Mrs Brugge! I got mine. I hope you do too.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:53 am

I just found an old snai-mail pre-approved offer for Freedom w/$100 bonus. It's few months passed from "submit by" date, and I didn't see that offer in branch or in my online pre-approved cards section. What are the chances of getting approved by using old offer code and will that pass the 5/24 rule? (I've had much more than 5 cards)
Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
Is it still necessary to apply for CSP in branch so that the banker can call recon for you?
Is there a consensus of opinions or any thoughts as to whether or not applying in a branch and/or having Private Banking or Private Client service is advantageous in terms of credit card approval? With many credit card approvals each year for the past few years, it would seem that my probability of being approved for another CSP card in a few months is nil without some sort of assistance.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Lucky you. DW has a real full time business, just over a year old, for which AMEX gave her a Bus Gold card. But 2 apps for an Ink, 6 months apart, were both turned down, and that was before the latest shenanigans began.

She is applying for a SPG Bus with the enhanced 30K sign up bonus today. We'd much rather have 1.25 SPG points than 1 MR point. Please everyone, wish her luck.
Instant approval for the AMEX SPG Bus card.

On going Chase Soap Opera....

Exactly 2 weeks after applying for the Chase Marriott 80K offer, the Chase Fraud Department called Sunday afternoon. We missed the call, but called them right back, and were notified that they aren't open on Sundays. If they aren't open, why did they call?

So this morning DW called back and answered a series of "fraud detection questions", like how much credit does she have on her CSP, when is the payment due, etc. After 10 or 12 minutes, partly answering questions, partly on hold, they approved her. But not for the app, only for the fraud questions. Now it has to go to a different department for the app to be considered. 10 to 14 more days to be notified by mail if she is approved or denied.

Up to a month to approve or deny her app. And she already has a CSP, IHG, BA, and UA card from Chase. 6 figure income, @800 FICO, 4 year cc history with Chase, perfect payment history with her Chase ccs...

And they may need 4 weeks to consider her app for a measly Marriott card.

Last edited by Brugge; Sep 14, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:10 pm

I thought I could circumvent the 5/24 rule by only applying for co-branded cards, but these last few pages are freaking me out. I only have two Chase cards, but 8 HPs over the last 24 months and I want to go for the Southwest for Companion Pass.

I wanted to apply in December to maximize CP timing, but if I wait until mid-February 4 of my HPs fall off and I'll only have 4 credit applications (all non-Chase) left on my record. Should I wait? Credit over 800, good income and same job for over 20 years. Current credit line total $51k (income over $120k).

Last edited by sfmom; Sep 14, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:56 pm

IDK if it was before of after 5/24, but I've got my personal SW card on 05/27/2015 and I had more than 5 HPs
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by sfmom
I thought I could circumvent the 5/24 rule by only applying for co-branded cards, but these last few pages are freaking me out. I only have two Chase cards, but 8 HPs over the last 24 months and I want to go for the Southwest for Companion Pass.

I wanted to apply in December to maximize CP timing, but if I wait until mid-February 4 of my HPs fall off and I'll only have 4 credit applications (all non-Chase) left on my record. Should I wait? Credit over 800, good income and same job for over 20 years. Current credit line total $51k (income over $120k).
I'm not clear if that total $51K CL is all with Chase. If it is, I'd certainly lower it to closer to $30K to increase your chances of being auto approved. Not necessarily instantly auto approved, but at least approved without having a Recon CSR go over your app while you sit on hold for what seems like forever.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:10 pm

I'm not clear if that total $51K CL is all with Chase. If it is, I'd certainly lower it to closer to $30K to increase your chances of being auto approved. Not necessarily instantly auto approved, but at least approved without having a Recon CSR go over your app while you sit on hold for what seems like forever.
It is all with Chase. I'm now leaning towards waiting until after February 1 to apply so I "only" will have applied for four cards in the last 24 months.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:39 pm

I'm crossing Chase off my list. I managed to get the CSP, my first card since 2005, but tdenied for the Ink. My dh was denied the CSP with CSs over 800 and only 2 inquiries, also since 2005. I probably shouldn't have made him an AU on my acct.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:51 pm

Chase Sapphire Card

Guys, I've had this card for 2 years now...here's the basic pros and cons:

Pros:
-It's heavy and metal and always gets noticed if you care about that sort of thing.

Cons:
-You only get 1 free flight per year roughly...and that's with spending quite a bit.

That's really it.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:50 pm

It is all with Chase. I'm now leaning towards waiting until after February 1 to apply so I "only" will have applied for four cards in the last 24 months.
I think that's a mistake. Anecdotal evidence suggests that bumping up against your CL cap risks not getting auto-approved, which in turn greatly increases your risk of being turned down by an overzealous CSR. Why take the chance? I mean, is there some reason you're reluctant to lower your CL?

Originally Posted by TooManyMiles100
Guys, I've had [the CSP] card for 2 years now...here's the basic pros and cons:
You want this discussion thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...de-cancel.html. (P.S. Welcome to FT!)
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:02 pm

[QUOTE=beltway;25425371]I think that's a mistake. Anecdotal evidence suggests that bumping up against your CL cap risks not getting auto-approved, which in turn greatly increases your risk of being turned down by an overzealous CSR. Why take the chance? I mean, is there some reason you're reluctant to lower your CL?

All the reports of shutdowns made me so nervous at one point I promised myself I'd never apply for a Chase card again. I don't MS though I do buy some gift cards with Ink (put 1x on there as well). But again, I'm paranoid. So I avoid contacting them unless it's absolutely necessary (ie: there's fraudulent activity on my account).
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:32 am

Reading about the problems here may well make things seem worse than they actually are. I've gotten somewhere around 25 ccs in the past 24 months, have 4 open cards with Chase, and just got approved for a Marriott without calling in. It did take @7 days to get the approval, but then they gave me a $25K CL. On the other hand, my DW, who has fewer HPs than myself, is in week 3 of waiting to find out if she will be approved. It's extremely YMMV, but it's a long ways from impossible....
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

CSP approved after reconsideration due to several AUs

Originally Posted by benosufan
Applied for CSP just now...got "decision pending". Only had southwest and disney card through chase. My wife and I had same amount of new cards in last 2 years (5 CCs)...she got instant approval for CSP about a month ago. I know my CL is not maxed...only like 30k with high income and no debt. I have however opened a couple bank accounts (non chase)...not sure if that would have anything to do with decision pending.

Oh well...I'm going to let this play out and update when I get a decision. I am AU on my wife's CSP....also I canceled her southwest card today and had the CL transferred to her CSP but that had nothing to do with me other than I was an AU on that card. We shall see...hopefully I login and see CSP in my account list soon.
Update:

I got the dreaded denial letter due to "too many credit cards opened in last 2 years". I called chase and the CSR told me my Equifax CR showed 4 individual and 3 AU accts opened in last 2 years. The CSR stated "are the AUs with your wife's accounts?" and I said yes. She placed me on hold for a few minutes then came back on the line and said I was approved for CSP. She then transferred some my CL from my SW card to open the CSP. So now I'm the happy CSP card holder I hoped I would be. Call took approx 10 minutes.

Long story short, they do look at your AUs when deciding whether or not to auto approve your app....I know this was stated here before but just throwing out my experience for others who might be in the same boat.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:27 pm

Reading about the problems here may well make things seem worse than they actually are. I've gotten somewhere around 25 ccs in the past 24 months, have 4 open cards with Chase, and just got approved for a Marriott without calling in. It did take @7 days to get the approval, but then they gave me a $25K CL. On the other hand, my DW, who has fewer HPs than myself, is in week 3 of waiting to find out if she will be approved. It's extremely YMMV, but it's a long ways from impossible....
Thanks. If I get a denial, it isn't the end of the world. It's gotta happen at some point. I'll post my experiences - it's a couple of months off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.