Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Not an expert on this, so I might be wrong. Doesn't it have to be the same exact card to be considered a duplicate? So 2 B of A AS cards would yield one HP, but an IHG app and a SW app would result in 2 HPs, even if Chase pulled the same CB?
No, it doesn't have to be the same exact card, but it does need to appear to the credit bureau that they are from the same entity. So the pulls for personal IHG and SW apps may be merged, but pulls for and Chase business card and a Chase personal card might not be. And with Citi, as an example, pulls for a Gold and a Platinum AAdvantage card will likely be merged, but pulls for an AAdvantage card and a Hilton HHonors card will not be merged, simply because of the name of the entity appears slightly different, even thought they are both Citi personal cards.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Mlife Gold, IHG Platinum, SW for domestic, AA for international
Smile

Originally Posted by BigTravelSmallMoney
Another datapoint for the thread: Chase just denied my husband's credit card application. He's only opened 3 cards within the past 24 months, but was added as an Authorized User on 3 other cards which put him over the 5 card limit. Being an Authorized User does count toward this limit, according to the Chase recon line I called into.

I am removing him as AU from those 3 cards and seeing if he can re-apply in about a month (after we've checked the credit reports to make sure they got removed).

Has anybody had any luck with this strategy (removing someone as AU from recent cards and re-applying)?
An update from this past post.

In July, he applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and when they declined him, in desparation he applied for the Chase Hyatt which turned pending. We assumed it had been declined too, but in reality in August it was approved and started showing up under his account. So it looks like (definitely) as of July 2015, the Chase Hyatt is not subject to the "max of 5 accounts" rule.

We still wanted him to be approved for the CSP so we waited until the end of this month to apply. We needed time to go through the following song and dance:
1. Removed my husband as Authorized user on all of my cards
2. Disputed those authorized user accounts with each of the credit bureaus (which was a pain in the butt to get for free since we had already done our annual credit report)

Once we had sufficiently processed most of the disputes, he applied again for the CSP this past week. His application was pending. Then we contacted the recon line and they told us he had "too many accounts from the past 24 months". We went back and forth for awhile, specifically discussing:

Us: "The accounts that you are showing are including Authorized User accounts for which he has already been removed and they have been disputed with the bureaus."
Them: "It shows that you have X number of accounts and so your application was correctly declined for that reason. It only includes cosigned, joint, or individual accounts so you must be mistaken."
Us: "We are currently looking at his credit report right now with TransUnion which has been updated correctly and it correctly shows only the 3 accounts in his name. Your information is inaccurate. All of the accounts for which he is an AU on are Chase accounts in my wife's name and my wife is here, so please look this up in your system to confirm. Her name is ... In addition to being removed as AU with Chase, we also notified all bureaus and disputed all of those accounts already. You should at least see they are in dispute."
Them: "You must be mistaken, the credit report we are referring to is Experian and it shows X accounts and for the accounts it shows I for Individual, C for cosign, or J for joint...blah...blah...blah"

After insisting they finally relented and took another look at the accounts and we were put on hold. After that, they admitted the mistake and would reconsidering the application. A few questions answered later ("Why do you need the card? Why did you open X other account? Has your income or job changed?"), and moved about $5k from another Chase card limit: we were approved (HALLELUJAH).

From what this representative let on, perhaps Authorized User is being penalized because the credit report they are pulling shows it as Joint or Cosign instead of Authorized User. I dunno. But I am happy now that we finally got the card
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Congratulations BigTravelSmallMoney!

I'm curious why you wrote "X accounts" when mentioning the number of accounts here. That would be 4 accounts, wouldn't it (his original 3 plus the Hyatt)?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Mlife Gold, IHG Platinum, SW for domestic, AA for international
Originally Posted by Sedentary
Congratulations BigTravelSmallMoney!

I'm curious why you wrote "X accounts" when mentioning the number of accounts here. That would be 4 accounts, wouldn't it (his original 3 plus the Hyatt)?
Oh yes. 4 accounts. I wrote X accounts because I was lazy and it came from my notes as we were talking
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
@BigTravelSmallMoney, just want to make sure, you did get confirmation from the CBs that the CRs had been updated to reflect your dispute, before applying for CSP, right?

I also recently disputed to remove me as AU from a couple cards. I found the process painless - all done online with a few clicks. Didn't seem like it mattered whether you already got the free annual copy, but perhaps b/c I wasn't looking specifically. Interestingly TU completed it in 2 days (amazing), while EX still no communication after 8 days.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:22 pm

Anyone else notice this?.... Prior to May, I was getting twice monthly balance transfer offers in the mail (which I was not interested in) on my IHG, BA and Southwest cards. They stopped coming at the exact same time Chase tightened their approval policies. My credit score did not change (went up actually) low utilization, no real reason for them to stop sending them.

I wonder what made them [change].

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:12 pm Reason: vulgar reference
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by lummoxia
Anyone else notice this?.... Prior to May, I was getting twice monthly balance transfer offers in the mail (which I was not interested in) on my IHG, BA and Southwest cards. They stopped coming at the exact same time Chase tightened their approval policies. My credit score did not change (went up actually) low utilization, no real reason for them to stop sending them.

I wonder what made them [change].
Likely regulation

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reason: original quote edited
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:55 pm

On the Chase Ink Plus Premium Rewards application, the check box at the top says "...and I have not been denied credit by Chase within the last 6 months." I applied back in April for this card under my LLC, using FEIN. Does Chase treat this as I was denied or my LLC was denied? Denied reason at that time was they wanted to see more income on the new business. Should I just attempt to apply again now but under my SSN as a sole proprietor instead? Have CSP and Business SPG from April. Only other card in last 24 months was United Explorer Personal in Oct of 2014.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I got a pending decision for the IHG card. I called recon immediately and she said the "back end" needs to take care of it. Automated status line says "you'll be notified in 30 days".

Weird recon call, is this the standard? they won't even look at it?!

I'm tempted to just apply for the Hyatt now since the HP is already done. Suggestions / Tips? Is the 24 hr limit in effect for HP or 30 days?

Never been denied for a chase personal, although all my cards except one have just a 5000 limit.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I recall several posts where people reported approvals for in branch applications despite not qualifying under the 5/24 rule. It seems that Chase does have exceptions and if you're pre-approved I think you'd have a good shot. A few months ago but after the 5/24 rule came about, I was told that I was pre-approved for the CSP in branch as well. I applied for the Ritz Carlton instead, and when I check to see if I was still pre-approved a few days later the pre-approval offer was gone. To me this suggests that they Chase updates their pre-approvals based on current information, so I would think you're good to go. I should have taken the pre-approval when I had the chance, now I'm just waiting for it to appear again.
So I was preapproved for and applied at a branch for the CSP and was not instantly approved. The banker was instructed to call a number on his screen and was only asked a few questions that he already answered in the application. Card was approved regardless of my 8 new accounts in the last 2 years 3 of them Chase in the last 8 months.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ttonev
So I was preapproved for and applied at a branch for the CSP and was not instantly approved. The banker was instructed to call a number on his screen and was only asked a few questions that he already answered in the application. Card was approved regardless of my 8 new accounts in the last 2 years 3 of them Chase in the last 8 months.
How did you find out you were preapproved for an in branch app?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
I got a pending decision for the IHG card. I called recon immediately and she said the "back end" needs to take care of it. Automated status line says "you'll be notified in 30 days".
Don't call.

Chase recon (or just Chase) ain't what it used to be.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Data point:

I did a small AOR yesterday and was instantly approved for Hyatt with 27k CL. I have 9 open accounts from 12/14 to 04/15, 3 with Chase. Freedom, SW Plus and SW Premier, all personal. I lowered CL on the Freedom from 20k to 15k and lowered the SW Plus from 19k to 12k and left the SW Premier at its original 12k a couple weeks ago. I was also approved for Cap One Venture for 30k and Fidelity Amex for 18k. I have a 785 Fico and modest 6 figure income.

After the Hyatt approval I went for the IHG figuring I had nothing to lose if they combined the hard pull. Didn't get instant approval and was told to call in. I didn't prepare myself for the call and did a poor job of coming up with reasons for wanting the card other than for its rewards. The rep said everything looked good except for all the recent cards I'd opened and that he was going to pass my app to a senior analyst for further review and a decision would be made in 24 to 48 hours.

I called back a few hours later to suggest lowering the CL on the Hyatt to make room for the IHG and the rep informed my that my app had been denied due to too many open accounts in the last 24 months, too much existing credit with Chase, (which I tried to remedy by lowering the CL on the Hyatt to no avail) and I can't remember the third reason exactly, seems like it was either too much overall credit and/or not enough history with Chase. I'll post when I get the denial letter. The rep said they want to see how things go on my existing cards before issuing anymore new ones. I've only been a Chase customer since 12/14 but I think if I'd said the right things during the phone call I would've been approved. Overall a successful day though.[/QUOTE]

Here is my denial letter from Chase. I thought the rep said too many open accounts in the last 24 months but the letter says 12.

---

I tried to post a picture of the rejection letter but that didn't work. Anyway the reasons for denial were:

Not enough time has passed since your last account with us was opened
You already have the maximum amount of credit we can offer you
Too many accounts opened in a 12 month period

Last edited by philemer; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:56 pm Reason: merge consec. posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler

Weird recon call, is this the standard? they won't even look at it?!

I'm tempted to just apply for the Hyatt now since the HP is already done. Suggestions / Tips? Is the 24 hr limit in effect for HP or 30 days?

Never been denied for a chase personal, although all my cards except one have just a 5000 limit.
Got the same "pending,30 days" response after applying for Hyatt card, did not call. Got auto approved for 5K limit 2 days later.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Does anyone know how many days you have after the annual fee hit before you can get a full refund

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.