Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:52 pm

italdesign, love Chase Denial Center!

Like you, spouse and I have tons of hard pulls and we applied for the Marriott, had to wait a long week, but were both approved.

Dealing with Chase is an exercise in impulse control now--just waiting it out and not attracting attention, no matter how hard it is to wait.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:50 pm

I'm looking for some advice from those of you with more experience.

I have opened 13 cards over the past 24 months. I have 3 Chase cards currently and the rest are Citi, AMEX, Barclay, US Bank. The most recent Chase cards opened 1/15 and 4/15. Total Chase CL is $44K. I am an AU on my husband's 6 Chase cards.

I applied for Chase United Business card in August and got the auto response -pending for review. Sadly, I didn't read this Wiki before calling Chase a week later. The CSR told me I was denied because I had too many applications and did not utilize the available cards fully. I suggested moving credit around and he would not approve. I later got the letter stating denial due to:
-not enough time has passed since last account opening
-already have the max credit we will offer you
Listed my FICO Score as 829

Should I lower my CL on existing cards, wait a few days, and call Chase CSR again? Is there anything else that I should do to get approved?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by beltway
My advice to anyone applying for a co-brand card:
  1. Lower your CLs beforehand to what you actually need, plus 5K. The old days when you could bank more credit than you needed & then easily move some around with a CSR to get an app approved are over. (The key is "easily." Some lucky people will still be able to do this, which is the reason to hold that extra 5K; don't bet on your being one of them.) You want to be auto-approved & avoid closer scrutiny.
  2. Do. Not. Call....unless you've already been denied. Numerous reports suggest that Chase CSRs have itchy trigger fingers & will find additional reasons (such as the 5/24 rule) to deny you even when those reasons wouldn't be triggered by automated review. OTOH, if you've already been denied after waiting for a decision, you have nothing to lose by calling.
Originally Posted by teammjs
Did you call and talk to someone? It blows my mind people are not getting instant approval with several hard pulls and think calling in is going to "help" them these days.

People, let the process play out without attracting attention and calling in before a decision! Call after you get denied of you want.
Originally Posted by italdesign
You mean the Chase Denial Center? That would be a no.
Great advice folks, thanks for posting it! I will certainly heed and follow it for my next Chase app. Just goes to show everyone how this hobby continues to evolve. This time last year the polar opposite advice seemed to be the conventional wisdom e.g. keep high credit lines for negotiating for new cards and call recon right away if not immediately approved.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Sep 6, 2015 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:17 am

follow up

Recently got a BA card with Chase. Had umpteen pulls. Got the deferral and please call us with a reference number. Didn't fall for that "trap", and was approved the next day without any human contact initiated.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:31 am

AU & Biz Card Questions

Hoping for some clarification regarding the following:

1.) In terms of the CL given to an AU, is that number being included in the AU's overall credit availability calculation?

2.) Is there any credit score impact to an AU (or the account owner, for that matter), if the account owner removes the AU/cancels the additional card? Are there any other negative impacts to take into consideration if doing this?

3.) Is available credit viewed differently from a business card perspective vs. personal? Or are they lumped in together? Said another way, if I were to apply for a Chase business card, would Chase only look at my "business" credit availability? Or would they also be viewing my "personal" credit availability, as well?

I appreciate the help and insight in advance.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by briancw80
Hoping for some clarification regarding the following:

1.) In terms of the CL given to an AU, is that number being included in the AU's overall credit availability calculation?
I think it depends on the bank, but I personally am AU on a bunch of family CCs and generally notice no difference in banks' willingness to extend me new credit, so I don't worry too much.

3.) Is available credit viewed differently from a business card perspective vs. personal? Or are they lumped in together? Said another way, if I were to apply for a Chase business card, would Chase only look at my "business" credit availability? Or would they also be viewing my "personal" credit availability, as well?
Biz accts are not reported on your personal credit report as an acct. Only the inquiry is. However, Chase can of course see if you already have another Chase biz card and does take that into consideration.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by teammjs
Recently got a BA card with Chase. Had umpteen pulls. Got the deferral and please call us with a reference number. Didn't fall for that "trap", and was approved the next day without any human contact initiated.
Already have Chase Freedom, IHG, Brit Air, and UA. All, except for the Freedom, are from the last 12 months. And I have had all 3 of them before, so 2nd bonus on each in the past year. I make sure to put some reasonable spend on each of them every month, but nothing huge. And my min spnd is always clearly MS. My TCCL has been whittled down over the past 2 years from $60K to $19K. FICO around 800, low 6 figure income.

Have canceled CSP and 4 SW cards in the past. Besides Chase, evelenty-seven HPs and new accounts in the past 24. 8 Citi AA Execs alone, along with various AMEX, Barclays, B of A, etc.

Applied last weekend of August for a Marriott card, just before the 80K offer expired. Got a "we'll let you know" response. Wasn't asked to call in, and didn't. After a few days, called the autoresponse number. Got the positive "2 weeks" response, not the dreaded "10 days" response. It took over a week, but yesterday when I called the computer said I'd been approved, and today I see the card listed on my Chase page.

Over a week to get "auto" approved, and then given a CL of $25K. Highest ever CL from Chase. Not sure if I should post one of these: or one of these: Either way, I'll take it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Biz accts are not reported on your personal credit report as an acct. Only the inquiry is. However, Chase can of course see if you already have another Chase biz card and does take that into consideration.
Thank you for your insight.

To take it a step further, if I should apply for another Chase product, either business or personal, I should be looking to reduce only the associated CL to improve my chances, correct? Meaning I shouldn't worry about my biz CL if I am applying for a personal card and vice versa if I am applying for a biz CC...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by briancw80
Thank you for your insight.

To take it a step further, if I should apply for another Chase product, either business or personal, I should be looking to reduce only the associated CL to improve my chances, correct? Meaning I shouldn't worry about my biz CL if I am applying for a personal card and vice versa if I am applying for a biz CC...
This is bank dependent. In the case of Chase, they let you move CL between biz and personal, so you should reduce both to improve your chance.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
and then given a CL of $25K. Highest ever CL from Chase.
This seems to be the norm now. I do wish they would give the damn instant approval so I can be encouraged to apply for another Chase card on same day.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:26 am

I'm an American living abroad, so to keep collecting miles, I try and use a credit card with no foreign exchange fees, which leaves me with Chase most of the time. Currently, I have a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer, which has just hit the one year mark. I am tempted to cancel it so I don't have to pay the $95 fee, and just apply for the United business card and use that instead for the next year. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by giblet
I'm an American living abroad, so to keep collecting miles, I try and use a credit card with no foreign exchange fees, which leaves me with Chase most of the time. Currently, I have a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer, which has just hit the one year mark. I am tempted to cancel it so I don't have to pay the $95 fee, and just apply for the United business card and use that instead for the next year. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?
Nope but you may want to apply for the biz card first to make sure you get approved before you cancel the one you do have.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Nope but you may want to apply for the biz card first to make sure you get approved before you cancel the one you do have.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any reason to think I might be rejected? My credit score is high, but my credit limit on the MilesExplorer is also high. Should I ask to have it lowered before I apply for the business card? Also, do they ask for any proof of a business? I have a sole prop but not a lot of evidence of that.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:06 am

They don't usually ask for proof of the business, however, my most recent application, they required that I provide authorization for them to get a copy of my tax return. First time in about 8 business applications.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
They don't usually ask for proof of the business, however, my most recent application, they required that I provide authorization for them to get a copy of my tax return. First time in about 8 business applications.
I don't like the sound of that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.