Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by whoknew89
Well I want to apply for two new southwest cards to get the companion pass for the next two years. My partner had it the last two and we want to trade off applying and getting it in the future. My credit isn't as good as his so I'm a bit worried about getting approved but recently my credit has been skyrocketing and approvals getting much easier due to higher income and getting higher age of my credit history in general.

Anyone have any recommendations, I'd like to avoid the SW business card. Should I try to apply for the SW Plus and Premier on the same day or wait a month or so between apps? I really want to increase my odds as much as possible.

For a little more background I've applied/churned for about 3 other cards this year and have been added to 3 of my partners cards as an AU.

u should be good to go. apply for both personal cards on the same day, so u can combine pulls and do not call if it is in pending status. you will get it approved.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973
Chase is clearly trying to cut down on the churners.
While I agree on the sentiment, not quite sure I understand why the Freedom would be considered a churning card. It's a card you hold for the long term and put significant spend on every year.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The 5/24 rule only applies to the CSP, Freedom, and Slate, not the co-branded cards. But if Chase has blacklisted you as a churner, all bets are off.

I think this is a bit oversimplified. Chase does not appear to "blacklist" churners, they simply deny you a card. Usually this will be a proprietary card. They don't hold a grudge, although some applications will ask if you've been denied credit by Chase within the past 6 months. So you are welcome to toss your hat into the ring and try again at any point. Chase does seem to blacklist people who have their accounts shut down, though.

Case in point: Mr SD was denied a co-branded card (Marriott) in October for "too many recent applications." He was approved for a BA card in December. Between October (the Marriott card was the first card of a small AOR) and December, he has about 5 NEW, non-Chase cards, a much larger aggregate line of available credit, and a similar debt to income & Fico. In other words, he was higher risk in December than in October, according to some criteria.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
They don't hold a grudge, although some applications will ask if you've been denied credit by Chase within the past 6 months.
So just answer no
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
So typical of Chase to respond to my inquiries by rebuilding the wheel. I set out what happened and why, and they responded that they couldn't tell me if I would be accepted for a card until I applied. That response totally ignored the set of facts I sent them about being denied a card when I had asked to withdraw the application. I'm done with Chase, but it will take some time to exit on my terms.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
Recently I applied for a Chase Sapphire card. That was not smart of me as I should have checked how long it has been since I canceled my last Sapphire card. Turns out I needed to wait a few more months if I wanted the bonus miles offered. So, I immediately wrote to ask them to withdraw the application, and sent the same request to customer service. My FICO score is 820, and I have the Chase Mileage Plus card and the chase Hyatt card.
Chase turned my application down rather than allow me to withdraw it. They said I had too many credit cards. My feeling is that they could see I went for the bonus offers and the refusal was meant to be punitive. How many people with an 820 credit score and a perfect payment record get turned down?
Then I received an offer from Marriott for their card. It would keep me from losing the points I have with them as well. I assume now that I would get turned down for that. Do I have any recourse since I asked to withdraw the application? Note that I admit it wasn't smart of me to apply, but to affect my credit rating with a turn down seems highly unfair.
You are aware of the "5/24 rule" Chase is using with the CSP, right? I would say they are turning down quite a few folks here with very good credit scores. I won't comment on whether it is "punitive" or not, but it's definitely not personal. And how exactly does being turned down - in and of itself - affect your credit rating?

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
So typical of Chase to respond to my inquiries by rebuilding the wheel. I set out what happened and why, and they responded that they couldn't tell me if I would be accepted for a card until I applied. That response totally ignored the set of facts I sent them about being denied a card when I had asked to withdraw the application. I'm done with Chase, but it will take some time to exit on my terms.
If you are choosing to be "done with Chase", so be it. But based on my experience and many others who post in this thread, I suspect you may very well be approved for the Marriott card, with increased chances for approval if you simply wait it out if the application goes into pending status, rather than calling recon.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tkduke77
While I agree on the sentiment, not quite sure I understand why the Freedom would be considered a churning card. It's a card you hold for the long term and put significant spend on every year.
I thought the Freedom was sort of an accessory to churning — i.e., by keeping a Freedom open, people's points remain active and they can churn the CSP.

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I think this is a bit oversimplified. Chase does not appear to "blacklist" churners, they simply deny you a card. Usually this will be a proprietary card. They don't hold a grudge, although some applications will ask if you've been denied credit by Chase within the past 6 months. So you are welcome to toss your hat into the ring and try again at any point. Chase does seem to blacklist people who have their accounts shut down, though.
Right, that's what I was talking about. Once Chase labels someone a problem, there's clearly a blacklist. Otherwise, since most churners have at least a good credit score, they'd have no way to weed out repeat offenders. Whether it's an actual blacklist or something of a screen that sends such applicants to manual review, there has to be a blacklist-type mechanism in place.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Starwood Gold
Sapphire Preferred denial -- 817 credit score -- 3 credit applications in the past 2 years (none with Chase): I applied for the CSP with an 817 credit score and was denied. The analyst told me my denial was because I had opened too many accounts in the past 2 years. I opened three (3): a Citi Thank You Premier card (so I could transfer points strategically to my husband's Citi Prestige card, a Citi AAdvantage card (because we fly AA most of the time) and a Barclay's Aviator Red (a legacy USAirways MasterCard so I really didn't apply for the replacement). I never carry any balance on my cards and have a spotless credit history. Do I have any basis for appealing Chase's decision?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

But if Chase has blacklisted you as a churner, all bets are off.
Chase doesn't blacklist people for churning per se.

They may deny apps from someone who applied for a series of their cards, did the min spnd, got the points, and immediately canceled the cards.

But if you churn and also use the cards, keep them open for around a year while spending on them, then close them and reapply after 24 months, you will not be "blacklisted".

Obviously the CSP, Freedom, and Slate are treated differently. But again, it's not actually a question of churning. If you have 6 AU accounts, and not a single Primary account, which could hardly be called churning, you will be auto denied for a CSP. Strange but true....
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by maxwell109
Sapphire Preferred denial -- 817 credit score -- 3 credit applications in the past 2 years (none with Chase): I applied for the CSP with an 817 credit score and was denied. The analyst told me my denial was because I had opened too many accounts in the past 2 years. I opened three (3): a Citi Thank You Premier card (so I could transfer points strategically to my husband's Citi Prestige card, a Citi AAdvantage card (because we fly AA most of the time) and a Barclay's Aviator Red (a legacy USAirways MasterCard so I really didn't apply for the replacement). I never carry any balance on my cards and have a spotless credit history. Do I have any basis for appealing Chase's decision?
It makes no sense to be denied with stellar credit for opening 3 accounts in 24 months. HUCA.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Were you an AU on any of your husband's cards?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by aza72
Yes, but I only applied after reading in one of the reliable travel blogs that this wasn't an issue. Also, when I talked to the second analyst (I tried HUCA), she said that the issue was -- specifically -- the three (3) applications I listed. I also closed my Barclay Aviator Red about 6 months ago because (a) it did not have the 10,000 mile annual renewal bonus and (b) it duplicated benefits on the Citibank AAdvantage card. The analyst didn't mention being an AU on my husband's CSP as an issue. I feel like a hard pull has been wasted; is there anything I can do to appeal Chase's decision besides HUCA (which didn't work)?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Yes, but I only applied after reading in one of the reliable travel blogs that this wasn't an issue. Also, when I talked to the second analyst (I tried HUCA), she said that the issue was -- specifically -- the three (3) applications I listed. I also closed my Barclay Aviator Red about 6 months ago because (a) it did not have the 10,000 mile annual renewal bonus and (b) it duplicated benefits on the Citibank AAdvantage card. The analyst didn't mention being an AU on my husband's CSP as an issue. I feel like a hard pull has been wasted; is there anything I can do to appeal Chase's decision besides HUCA (which didn't work)?

So Chase looks at number of opened cards in the past 24 months. You can get a good sense of what they see by pulling your CreditKarma report, and looking at the cards (not inquiries). Even if you closed the card, if it was opened in the past 24 months. AU cards also seem to be be counted by the algorithm, but you may be able to talk to a supervisor and get them waived.

If the supervisor doesn't work, you can remove yourself as an AU and register a dispute with the bureaus you can get the card removed, confirm that is removed on CreditKarma and apply again.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:44 pm

I thought the Freedom was sort of an accessory to churning — i.e., by keeping a Freedom open, people's points remain active and they can churn the CSP.
People certainly use it that way, but my wife does not have the CSP. I would guess the vast majority of Freedom card holders don't have the CSP.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by aza72
Yes, but I only applied after reading in one of the reliable travel blogs that this wasn't an issue.
That word does not mean what you think it means. Any blog that claims AU cards don't matter to Chase isn't worth the electrons it's printed on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.