Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
"Probably"? Hmm. Except for (1) all the posts documenting approval after recon, and (2) ridiculously assuming auto-approval cannot count applications as easily as a CSR can.

The key to Chase cards now is not instant approval, but your relationship with Chase in the recent past. That's a dire recollection for some of you, I know. But not to those of us who toed the line.
I'll admit I only glanced over the thread but it seemed to me the vast majority who applied since Mid June and didn't get instant approval have been denied and told by Chase reps they had too many cards in the past 2 years

I guess Chase just decided to let one person with 20 plus apps and one person with 17 plus apps in the past 2 years slide by while picking out people with 7 and 8 apps for denial...........makes sense lol

BTW, different last names, different addresses and no relationship with Chase except making the spends, collecting bonuses and then cancelling the card.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 20, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Alaska, Skymiles, IHG
I have 4 chase cards, Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus, IHG and Slate. I applied last week for the Freedom and got turned down. I just called the reconsideration line and they were firm and borderline impatient. I was willing to swap the Slate(which I no longer use or need) for the Freedom and they wouldn't do this.

Am I now screwed or are there any last options?

I also wanted the BA card and was planning to apply for it later this year since I currently have other cards I'm working on. Now I wonder if I'll be ineligible for that too.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Armchair Quarterback or even worse?

@Brugge,

I start to find some entertainment value reading those posts.

Is it another form of playing Armchair Quarterback by doting nonsense advices that 1) neither has any semblance of reality of others experiences, 2) nor even put to test by the poster (no new application under the now fairly obvious restrictions imposed by the bank.)?

You have to be amused reading posts after posts after posts of garbage that are being rebutted by virtually all other posters.

Unfortunately, said garbage could be very misleading to those who are inexperienced in this game. In that regard, the poster is extremely selfish to indulge this kind of behavior.

@flyer4512

Good for you to point out this despite it is so obvious, but someone just like Ostrich buries its head in deep sands.

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'll admit I only glanced over the thread but it seemed to me the vast majority who applied since Mid June and didn't get instant approval have been denied and told by Chase reps they had too many cards in the past 2 year.

I guess Chase just decided to let one person with 20 plus apps and one person with 17 plus apps in the past 2 years slide by while picking out people with 7 and 8 apps............makes sense lol

Right! No matter how the strong empirical data in plain view, someone will continue argue with you and accuse you of manipulating your credit lines... without a clue on risk management from both the bank's view and consumer's view.

BTW, different last names, different addresses and no relationship with Chase except making the spends, collecting bonuses and then cancelling the card.
Totally debunk the "advices" nobody asked for and of absolute no value to anyone either. ^
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:57 pm

24 months since closed date as well?

If i have held a chase marriott card for 3 years and received the bonus more than 24 months ago, then can i close my marriott card today and reapply in a week and get the bonus again?

Does the close date matter in this circumstance?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf
If i have held a chase marriott card for 3 years and received the bonus more than 24 months ago, then can i close my marriott card today and reapply in a week and get the bonus again?

Does the close date matter in this circumstance?
You should get the points, but the certificates (at least the initial) is iffy. There is a whole thread on that card where you can get better information than this general Chase thread
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
@Brugge,

I start to find some entertainment value reading those posts.

Is it another form of playing Armchair Quarterback by doting nonsense advices that 1) neither has any semblance of reality of others experiences, 2) nor even put to test by the poster (no new application under the now fairly obvious restrictions imposed by the bank.)?

You have to be amused reading posts after posts after posts of garbage that are being rebutted by virtually all other posters.

Unfortunately, said garbage could be very misleading to those who are inexperienced in this game. In that regard, the poster is extremely selfish to indulge this kind of behavior.

@flyer4512

Good for you to point out this despite it is so obvious, but someone just like Ostrich buries its head in deep sands.

Totally debunk the "advices" nobody asked for and of absolute no value to anyone either. ^
I know what works for us and I don't believe for a second it was just a coincidence we both got Instant approval.

I was kicking myself as our goal is CP for her in 2016 so I was waiting longer than usual for the 2ns SW card as my CP is good until 12/31/15 and I figured waiting longer between cards was better.

Now ( if the new Chase rules hold true) I have to decide between getting CP for 2017/18 and basically cutting off all other apps or just continue on business as usual and forget CP
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:14 am

Freedom and saffhire refer program not recognized

Dear friends,

I recently applied both cards and they got approved smoothly. Now I'm waiting for my cards to come. However, I'd like to refer a friend to apply for the card. I had online banking access already, but why when I went to https://www.chasereferafriend.com/Default.aspx to refer, after I typed in my info, it tells me that

"ENTRY NOT RECOGNIZED
The information you provided does not match any of our current Chase Refer-A-Friend promotions. Please check to make sure you entered your information correctly, and continue to check back to see if your card becomes eligible in the future."

Anyone know how can I complete refer in my situation?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by longleaf
Please be mindful that Chase is under no obligation to approve your re-application. Indeed, it has good reason to look askance at doing so.

RNE, advising thusly: if you follow this strategy, be prepared to have no Marriott card at all.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:01 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Does Chase care about your credit limits with other banks? For example, would reducing the credit limits on my Citi/Barclay/etc credit cards help improve the chance of getting approved (automatic or human)?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
^
No & No
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Now ( if the new Chase rules hold true) I have to decide between getting CP for 2017/18 and basically cutting off all other apps or just continue on business as usual and forget CP
Now I'm confused. I thought your earlier post demonstrated that one can still be instantly approved for co-branded cards, despite recent churning. And that your conclusion was that having low CLs with Chase was more important than how many accts opened (for co-brand cards).

So why the forced choice between forgetting the CP or cutting off other apps? I'd think one would just wait until less than 3 months before the end of the year, and apply for the first SW card. Then wait a couple of months and apply for the other. Finish the spend on both just after the beginning of the new year, and get the CP.

We all now understand those apps aren't automatic any more, but your recent posts were making me hopeful about the prospects.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by fun_rachel
Dear friends,

I recently applied both cards and they got approved smoothly. Now I'm waiting for my cards to come. However, I'd like to refer a friend to apply for the card. I had online banking access already, but why when I went to https://www.chasereferafriend.com/Default.aspx to refer, after I typed in my info, it tells me that

"ENTRY NOT RECOGNIZED
The information you provided does not match any of our current Chase Refer-A-Friend promotions. Please check to make sure you entered your information correctly, and continue to check back to see if your card becomes eligible in the future."

I'd wait until the cards are in-hand and activated.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fun_rachel
Dear friends,

"ENTRY NOT RECOGNIZED

Your cards may not be eligible.

Referral offers are targeted. We have never had the offers despite we have multiple Chase cards with some are several years old.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:14 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by swy
Does Chase care about your credit limits with other banks? For example, would reducing the credit limits on my Citi/Barclay/etc credit cards help improve the chance of getting approved (automatic or human)?
Lowering your credit limits with other banks would increase your credit utilization (unless it's zero, which is not good either) and that could negatively impact your Chase approval via human and (possible) automatic too.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:35 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by RNE
Lowering your credit limits with other banks would increase your credit utilization (unless it's zero, which is not good either) and that could negatively impact your Chase approval via human and (possible) automatic too.
My utilization would still be <5% though. So I am not too worried about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.