Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:27 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Head of credit cards at Citi is Jud Linville--a long time AMEX exec who joined Citi in 2010. I think he might have some idea what he's doing. If it was easy to create a card program and sign transfer partners WF or BofA would have done something by now.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:49 pm

UA Explorer personal and business card?

I closed my Explorer (personal) cards couple months ago. Since we are booking the domestic flights in USA now, I found that we might take UA flights.
So if I apply the business version of Explorer card now (to save the checked luggage fee), will I earn the sign-up bonus (50,000 miles now) again?

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by IanJaxx
So if I apply the business version of Explorer card now (to save the checked luggage fee), will I earn the sign-up bonus (50,000 miles now) again?
Yes, provided that Chase approves the application. It may be much harder than it has been in past years.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by IanJaxx
I closed my Explorer (personal) cards couple months ago. Since we are booking the domestic flights in USA now, I found that we might take UA flights.

Thanks.
Welcome to FT. Please read the WIKI at the top of the page for important info. Short answer is "yes" because the cards are different products. This is assuming you are approved.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by RTWRide
Ugh, my issue may be my 66k total exposure with Chase. I completely forgot about that factor. I only have 3 personal (31k total) an 1 business (35k). Now I'm not sure if I should call or just wait it out my "under review" application for the UA MP Explorer Business card.
I was approved for the United at 15K after having 67k exposure with Chase all across personal cards and having 7-8 new accounts in the past year, including 2 with Chase in the last 6 months. This occurred at the beginning of the new policy (mid-late May) and approval was not instant and the app required a secondary review by a senior analyst (but the initial analyst thought this was mostly related to credit limit determination).

I have banked with Chase since they acquired WaMu and have a J.P. Morgan Private Bank account, but do not keep a substantial amount of assets in it (direct deposit goes to checking and savings account is zeroed out; no other Chase assets).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Consensus advice needed: Do you think that conventional wisdom now dictates that, more than ever in light of the recent changes, auto-acceptance is to be desired to avoid having to go to recon?

And if so, would it be prudent to lower our CL to accommodate that more easily?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Consensus advice needed: Do you think that conventional wisdom now dictates that, more than ever in light of the recent changes, auto-acceptance is to be desired to avoid having to go to recon?

And if so, would it be prudent to lower our CL to accommodate that more easily?
IMO yes and yes. It's always possible that Chase has recently changed (or will in the future change) its treatment of the latter activity, but the anecdotal evidence in recent years -- including my personal experience -- is that opening up headroom in your CL is an aid to auto-approval.

A vocal minority in this thread may wellwill inevitably take issue with this, but as far as I'm concerned it's like the flat-earth movement: unable to muster any empirical support for its position, yet doggedly unwilling to admit as much.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:37 pm

lurker, 1st post. Newish to points game

Question: I have 4 cards in past 2 years. 2 in 2014, last month I received 2 from chase (CSP and IHG in same week with high limits).

I want to get freedom before bonus drops. This would be my 5th card in last 24 months but 3rd with chase in one month if I beat 6/24 deadline. I am pre-approved on the chase card match tool for freedom. Does this mean I have a 100% shot of acceptance? I'm nervous though about 3 in one month from chase. Fico is around 760ish.

Thanks for any replies. Looking forward to learning more from yall
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Charros
Does this mean I have a 100% shot of acceptance? I'm nervous though about 3 in one month from chase. Fico is around 760ish.
Welcome!
You do not have 100% chance at all, that's just a tool to give you sense, it does not guarantee anything when you actually apply.
Freedom used to be very very easy to get, even if they only gave you $500 credit limit (that's what I got when applied a couple of weeks after getting a Southwest credit card). With the new rules Chase is apparently now imposing, it might be more difficult.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
Welcome!
You do not have 100% chance at all, that's just a tool to give you sense, it does not guarantee anything when you actually apply.
Freedom used to be very very easy to get, even if they only gave you $500 credit limit (that's what I got when applied a couple of weeks after getting a Southwest credit card). With the new rules Chase is apparently now imposing, it might be more difficult.
Thanks for the clarification on card match tool. I still meet the less than 5/24 rule but I'm Not sure about 3 in one month. They just gave me 45k CL on 2 cards 3 weeks ago. I really want to maximize the 3rd quarter bonus due to a long road trip in August. Just not sure whether I should apply before the 20k bonus ends or just wait a few months
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
IMO yes and yes. It's always possible that Chase has recently changed (or will in the future change) its treatment of the latter activity, but the anecdotal evidence in recent years -- including my personal experience -- is that opening up headroom in your CL is an aid to auto-approval.

A vocal minority in this thread may wellwill inevitably take issue with this, but as far as I'm concerned it's like the flat-earth movement: unable to muster any empirical support for its position, yet doggedly unwilling to admit as much.
I think you can have it both ways.

My strategy is to cancel Chase cards (the only card I have and would hold long-term is the IHG card because I can get far more than $49 of value for the annual fee), leaving my remaining card with $10k CL. I have never paid an annual fee to Chase (other than the IHG), so there is some risk in canceling a few cards that may be, say, 8 months old as opposed to 12, but I've never sensed Chase cares. Better in my mind to just clear out most of the Chase CL I don't need.

This way, I've freed up the bulk of my CL. But just in case I did go to a favorable recon, I could still split $5k/$5k if necessary (although this is a rare likelihood of it playing out, especially considering Chase usually showers me in new CLs).

But if you routinely get $20-$30k on approved cards with high Chase CLs already, I think a "measly" $10k that theoretically COULD be split is the best bet.

Another key question is how fast on a CL decrease and/or cancellation does that get "recycled" back in Chase's computer to free up credit officially. I don't think anyone knows this, since we've never really had to aim for auto-approval as the main goal in the past.

Last edited by teammjs; Jun 17, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:30 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by billybayswater
I was approved for the United at 15K after having 67k exposure with Chase all across personal cards and having 7-8 new accounts in the past year, including 2 with Chase in the last 6 months. This occurred at the beginning of the new policy (mid-late May) and approval was not instant and the app required a secondary review by a senior analyst (but the initial analyst thought this was mostly related to credit limit determination).
Good for you!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by teammjs
(the only card I have and would hold long-term is the IHG card because I can get far more than $49 of value for the annual fee)
That is very true but the issue I have is this: you are obviously going to spend that free night at a high end property, probably a 50K one (thanks to devaluation). I personally hate one-night stays because the hassles make it less enjoyable. If I want to stay additional nights at the same property then I have to transfer 50K UR or have 50K IHG pts somehow (likely won't). I know they have a lot of promos for earning pts but those are a hassle too (e.g. misery of dealing with poorly run program). Plus, IHG has blackout dates. All things considered I might take Hyatt's annual cat4 cert over this, which only requires 15K UR for each additional night, plus no blackout dates (well...).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
That is very true but the issue I have is this: you are obviously going to spend that free night at a high end property, probably a 50K one (thanks to devaluation). I personally hate one-night stays because the hassles make it less enjoyable. If I want to stay additional nights at the same property then I have to transfer 50K UR or have 50K IHG pts somehow (likely won't). I know they have a lot of promos for earning pts but those are a hassle too (e.g. misery of dealing with poorly run program). Plus, IHG has blackout dates. All things considered I might take Hyatt's annual cat4 cert over this, which only requires 15K UR for each additional night, plus no blackout dates (well...).
True if you are single and travel alone. Those of us with SOs make sure they also have a IHG card, and thus a 2 night stay. Up until recently IHG had various incentive programs that made it fairly painless to get another certificate, so then a 3 night stay. But that seems to have ended and the current programs are of no use for us. But still, having both recently reapplied for the IHG card, we have enough IHG points between us to add that 3rd night for the next 3 or 4 years.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway

I love the "flat-earth movement" analogy - very aptly.

Thanks for the good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.