Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rrgg
I had an odd conversation with Citi a week ago. I inquired about reducing the annual fee on my Citi Business Visa and was asked if the annual fee is the reason I had closed several other accounts. I didn't know what she meant at the time, because I had only closed 1 Citi account in 3-4 years (and I have old cards with Citi including a 16 year old AA MC).

I wonder if banks in general are now reviewing more credit report data than before. The rep must have noticed my other closures with Chase and Barclays.
Your credit report definitely lists closed credit cards from all banks, so this would be information readily available to anywhere you apply.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Your credit report definitely lists closed credit cards from all banks, so this would be information readily available to anywhere you apply.
Yes. I know it's on credit reports, but I'd never heard a rep bring this up when discussing the annual fee on my card. I was not applying for anything nor asking about my credit line.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
Yes. I know it's on credit reports, but I'd never heard a rep bring this up when discussing the annual fee on my card. I was not applying for anything nor asking about my credit line.
I would have been surprised too. I hope banks don't start to pay too much attention to closed accounts. I have so many if the CSR started to list them all it would become a very long call...
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:39 pm

In case it's useful to anyone, I wanted to say I discovered this policy after I had canceled my CSP (with the intention of re-applying and getting the bonus again). Over a month had passed, but when I called, they were able to re-open my previous CSP account with no fuss or grilling. She was talking aloud as she looked at her pull-down menus and she said "Closed between 30 and 60 days ago" so it sounds like this would work at least up to 60 days after you cancel. Hope this helps someone!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska air
Chase policy towards BK

I have a 3 yo BK on my record. I applied for CHASE Freedom card and was denied soley due to BK. I was going to call Recon line any suggestions before I do so. Current FICO in 700 range.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:46 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Morgacj2004
I have a 3 yo BK on my record. I applied for CHASE Freedom card and was denied soley due to BK. I was going to call Recon line any suggestions before I do so. Current FICO in 700 range.
I'm curious. What could you possibly say to recon?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:09 pm

WOW…Wife just spent 56 minutes on the Chase Recon Line – here’s the backstory:

Attempting to apply for the 20k Chase Freedom promo.
2 AU accounts in Nov 2013.
2 New Credit Cards (1 AMEX – 1 CSP) in the last 3 months.
1 Chase Disney card upgraded from their rewards to their Signature Premiere 3 months ago.

1st Analyst said denied due to number of cards. She persisted on the AU accounts and he relented, he then asked a ton of questions – still denied. Many of his questions were about our income and planned use for the cards. She had good answers – keeping reimbursable business expenses separate, Disney vacations on my Disney card, etc. He said 3 is still too many cards. She persisted on the Disney card upgrade. She offered to move credit limit over form the $15k on the Disney card. He looked some more and then he then said it was denied due to not having a sufficient payment history on the new cards. Each time he placed me on hold for around 3-5 minutes. After 25 minutes she told him that this seemed ridiculous and that she didn’t feel appreciated as a Chase customer, he apologized and said the decision was final. We asked if there was anybody else I could speak to about this because it didn’t seem right to us. He put us on hold for a Senior Lender Analyst (or something like that). It was almost 10 minutes for them to pickup.

That person went through many of the same things as the first analyst but she was a woman and much nicer than the last guy. Not to start a conspiracy – but man turned woman down but woman approved woman?? Anyway, after explaining the uses of the cards, giving more detail on the income, and offering to move credit limit over she said ok. We moved $5k from her Disney Card and we FINALLY have a Chase Freedom. The whole thing was CRAZY, but for $500 spend we'll get around $300 in Southwest Points through UR (since we luckily have a CSP).
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jlars77
Head of credit cards at Citi is Jud Linville--a long time AMEX exec who joined Citi in 2010. I think he might have some idea what he's doing. If it was easy to create a card program and sign transfer partners WF or BofA would have done something by now.
Oh man I was just thinking I wish BofA would come up with a card with transferable points. Even if the only transfer partners they had were their existing co-brand airlines -- AS, VS, OZ, and (lol) Spirit -- that would be a great program.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SouthFayetteFan
WOW…Wife just spent 56 minutes on the Chase Recon Line – here’s the backstory:
We should start getting used to the new reality: 1 card is too many. 0 is too few. Either way, you're DENIED.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:53 pm

Chase has definitely lost my business. I never had a Freedom or Sapphire card before except being as AUs on my parents' account. They denied me 2 weeks ago. While at the same time I gained 3 Citi cards in about 8 months. Citi where more than happy to approve me, and giving me CLI without hard pull. I just got Citi Premier without any problems. So if Chase doesn't want to play nice, go to Citi.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:20 am

I think another reason Chase is doing this is to have people keep their UR cards for years. I know I go from one UR card to another every year and get the bonus but never pay an annual fee.

Now I have a choice to make, liquidate my points or pay the fee. If I close my UR card I will not qualify for another again so I need to think long and hard about that.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Data point - nothing new but to reconfirm:

I read all the reports but decided to give it a try anyway as a test. Denied for Chase Freedom due to too many accounts in past 2 years. Have opened 13 personal & 6 business cards across all banks in the past 2 years, 2 personal & 2 business of those were from Chase. Also, my Sapphire Preferred has been open for 3 or 4 years, so I wasn't purely a UR churner. Just mostly.

Had just been approved for United Explorer on 5/5 after initially showing pending, but without reconsideration call required.

And as it has been their annoying trend the past year, they pulled from both Transunion and Experian for me (in Chicago).

Last edited by Awwucks; Jun 19, 2015 at 7:29 am Reason: addl info
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
We should start getting used to the new reality: 1 card is too many. 0 is too few. Either way, you're DENIED.
Tru Dat

Originally Posted by benny08
Chase has definitely lost my business. I never had a Freedom or Sapphire card before except being as AUs on my parents' account. They denied me 2 weeks ago. While at the same time I gained 3 Citi cards in about 8 months. Citi where more than happy to approve me, and giving me CLI without hard pull. I just got Citi Premier without any problems. So if Chase doesn't want to play nice, go to Citi.
Yep, DW and I are getting Citi cards, AMEX cards, B of A cards, not bothering with Chase cards. And they don't just end up in the sock drawer, we are spending on them. I got the in-branch offer for the Prestige, which was 60K bonus points for $15K in spend, and have just about finished that.

But I have stopped putting regular spend on my open Chase cards that don't have much use for spending, like the IHG for instance. I was doing that to stay a "good customer"of Chase, but not any more. Genius move on the part of Chase.

Originally Posted by mileshound
I think another reason Chase is doing this is to have people keep their UR cards for years. I know I go from one UR card to another every year and get the bonus but never pay an annual fee.

Now I have a choice to make, liquidate my points or pay the fee. If I close my UR card I will not qualify for another again so I need to think long and hard about that.
But pretty much only true for FT readers, and some folks who read travel blogs are just finding out now (MMS posted on this today). But I'm guessing most Chase customers won't know, and may very well cancel UR cards when the fee comes due, expecting to get another one 24 months after the previous bonus, as detailed in the T/Cs.

Then they will get denied, after being abused by a mean spirited Recon CSR, and have to switch their spending to other cards, like the Citi Premier. At which point they will find out the Premier is better than the CSP. 3X on dining, 3X on gas, 3X on Travel, and an extra bonus on all of that if you are CitiGold.

As I said above, "Genius move on the part of Chase".

Edit: My Bad, it's only 2X on dining, which is the same as the CSP. But 3X on all kinds of "travel", a much more comprehensive list than the CSP.

Last edited by Brugge; Jun 19, 2015 at 10:17 am
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Chances of getting Hyatt card and UA biz in 1 day?

Have 3 biz cards and 4 personal w/chase and just recently reduces lines on the personal cards.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Something doesn't add up with the new rule.

I had 9 total new app and AU over the last 24 months. 8 new and 1 AU. Including the Ink Plus, I have only IHG from February. I did not app for Chase in 2014.

I was approved for the Ink Plus in the beginning of June no problem. I called in immediately after I apply to just verify my identity. No other questions about my other cards.

I do have a checking/savings account for the past 5 years. Maybe the rule don't apply to business cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.